Lag, freezes, crashes and disconnects

I thought i was past having issues like this, but i just had 2 cases in a row where Orbus never finished loading my selected character into the world, but froze up instead. Windows resource monitor went full blank, in other words Orbus hogged everything. Both cases Oculus also reported that Orbus wasn’t able to fully close, and i had to “hard” close it both times.

Looking at the log, there are multiple instances of this in it:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,Dissonance.IDissonancePlayer].Add (System.String key, IDissonancePlayer value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Dissonance.PlayerTrackerManager.AddTracker (IDissonancePlayer player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Dissonance.DissonanceComms.TrackPlayerPosition (IDissonancePlayer player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Dissonance.Integrations.Orbus.OrbusCommsPlayer.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log uploaded for you here: https://files.fm/u/88pyjyrh

So I’d just like to weigh in on this issue. Brand new player 7 hours in. Tl;Dr - My OrbusVR was installed on an old hard disk and I got crazy unplayable lag spikes. Put it on a newer SSD and all lag spikes are gone.

I read through all of this having RIDICULOUS lag spikes. I would walk through the starting town and lag for a couple seconds every couple of steps. It wasn’t always that bad, sometimes it would be fine alone in the early AM hours when nobody was on. I thought the whole CPU thing was hogwash for me as I have a Ryzen 1300x OCed to 4.1 Ghz. First thing I did was check to see if I was overheating or throttling even with that CPU and I wasn’t. THen I pinged game-direct.orbusvr.com for a little while while on default and ran in to that issue in the starting town of lag spiking every few steps. Ping showed something like 68ms avg ping time with no spikes at all over the 2 minutes I played. I had resource monitor up and my CPU wasn’t spiking at all, but right before the graph cleared away, I did see my hard drive was spiking at regular intervals to 100%. Never thought to even consider that. I had been on low to high graphic settings and never noticed a difference, had buttery smooth fps no matter what on an RX480. So I uninstalled OrbusVR off of my old hard drive and moved it to the very last previous few gigs of space I had on my tiny main 120gb SSD and lo and behold the lag was gone. A few less than second long stutters here and there when around lots of people but it was all fine then. The game itself loads in so much faster now too. It’s odd cuz I have other games on it that run just fine like Payday 2 or Final Fantasy XIV. But, my hard drive is probably almost half a decade old I’m just too cheap to get a new one. But if anyone is willing to try it, SSDs sometimes go on sale for like 40$. A rather inexpensive upgrade, especially if you put your OS or other games on it.

1 Like

Just a small update for the devs:

I finally caved in. After years and hanging on tooth and nail to my old windows 7 (just like back with windows xp haha), i figured it was finally time. And i upgraded my old system to win10 (since i’m too lazy to back up, reformat and clean install everything). Now here is what i have found so far being different from before (should be seen in context of previous bug reports):

• i can now use default connection it seems
  • however, sometimes the game just crashes. Or rather, it just stops running (as if i had quit it, but there is no message about it).
  • I have checked the output log several times when it happens, but there is nothing abnormal in there, its like it just stopped mid play
  • i suspect that what i previously got as “hard freezes” now just result in a game exit when it previously would become unresponsive
  • i suspect that these exits (and previously hard freezes) happens when the game looses connection but hits a part of the game where it isn’t handled and gets stuck waiting for data that is never received and no new connection is being established

Just a heads up. Might give a clue about something. At least i thought it was worth posting it for you.

I have also had this happen a few times

I decided that i hadn’t been moving around enough in VR today, so i loaded up Orbus and equipped myself for some noob warrior swinging action.

However, today, i got several instances of “remote host has terminated the connection” on the default connection. I got several instances of “level 0” in the character select - aka still no connection or new connection being established.

Quitting and reloading a couple of times got me a more stable connection eventually, but it didn’t last and in the end the connection was lost again.

Then i tried websocket a couple of times. I got very noticeable lag, mobs moving on top/behind me, hits not registering properly, and well, connection interrupted. Now, it would be easy to assume that my connection is bad today, that my machine isn’t up to the task or something else. Fact of the matter still remains though that this is the only online game i have connection issues with (apart from Path of Exile, which thousands of people have connection issues with). Whether that means that the issue lies with Orbus, with Oculus or with SteamVR i do not know (note: i have bought Orbus on the Oculus store so i do NOT have steamVR running while i play the game). Another fact is that some days i am able to play for hours and hours on end without a single hitch.

I am very much leaning towards a connection issue being on Orbus’ end but ofcourse i sadly can not prove it (or i would).

As usual, i have uploaded the output_log.txt of my last session for you to look at:
https://files.fm/u/7fpxddqb

However, i feel quite sad that i am getting these issues, and rather often. As far as i can tell, many players are having the same issues but in widely varying degrees.

Heres an odd question (i know nothing) do occulus users run games through occulus store as I (vive) through Steam?

Depends.

If the oculus user has bought through the oculus store, only the oculus software (which has its own library, just like steam) is opened. However, if the oculus user has bought through steam, both the oculus software and steamVR is loaded.

Ok

Got curious how s file like that looked, and Oculus were spammed everywhere :joy: thats why i wondered.

Think i gotta check how my own looks.

@Riley_D

Here’s yet another instance of suddenly getting desync and finally disconnection, then an uninitialized player. This time on default connection, having played around 30 miniutes with no issues prior to it:
output_log.txt: https://files.fm/u/6setx3je

Interesting excerpts from the log related to connection (i added some //comments in the snippet):

CURRENT CLIENT LATENCY DIRECT: 55ms // 55-75ms seems to be my general latency this session
ENET DISCONNECT!
CONNECTION ERROR
Connection closed by remote host. Please restart the game to reconnect.
LOGOUT REQUEST COMPLETE // twice it would seem??
ERROR: Couldn't find a valid HealthBar for Avatar // yep, level 0 and all

Other odd snippets from this session log:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Outlined/Silhouetted Bumped Diffuse' - Pass 'OUTLINE' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeAndroid' - Pass 'RGBAEXTERNAL_TO_RGBA' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeAndroid' - Setting to default shader.
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/openvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/.\openvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/openvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/libopenvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/.\libopenvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/libopenvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/.\openvr_api
Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Oculus/Software/Software/orbus-online-llc-orbusvr/vrclient_Data/Mono/.\libopenvr_api
System.DllNotFoundException: openvr_api
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Valve.VR.OpenVRInterop:GetGenericInterface (string,Valve.VR.EVRInitError&)
  at Valve.VR.OpenVR.GetGenericInterface (System.String , Valve.VR.EVRInitError& ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SteamVR. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Magic') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'PivotHip') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'PivotWater') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'PivotChest') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Head') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Magic') is missing!
[Physics.PhysX] ConvexHullBuilder: convex hull has more than 255 polygons!
[Physics.PhysX] Gu::ConvexMesh::loadConvexHull: convex hull init failed! Try to use the PxConvexFlag::eINFLATE_CONVEX flag. (see PxToolkit::createConvexMeshSafe)
Failed to create Convex Mesh from source mesh "Cliff_C1". Source mesh is likely have too many smooth surface regions. Please reduce the surface smoothness of the source mesh. Alternatively turn on Inflate Mesh and increase the Skin Width sufficiently for this mesh.
EventNotFoundException: FMOD Studio event not found 'event:/SFX/Level Based/Highsteppe/Ambience/Beds/Order_Fort_Blockade'
  at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetEventDescription (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Lookup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Play () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.HandleGameEvent (EmitterGameEvent gameEvent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at LeanTween.cancel (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject, Boolean callOnComplete) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LeanTween.cancel (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PhysicsInteractable.LongRangeActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, SendMessageOptions)
MagicalActual.Grabber:()
MagicalActual.Grabber:FixedUpdate()
´EventNotFoundException: FMOD Studio event not found 'event:/SFX/Level Based/Highsteppe/Ambience/Beds/Order_Fort_Blockade'
  at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.GetEventDescription (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Lookup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Play () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.HandleGameEvent (EmitterGameEvent gameEvent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FMODUnity.StudioEventEmitter.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Quite a few occurences of this null ref exception:

at LeanTween.cancel (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject, Boolean callOnComplete) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at LeanTween.cancel (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PhysicsInteractable.LongRangeActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, SendMessageOptions)
MagicalActual.Grabber:()
MagicalActual.Grabber:FixedUpdate()

Many occurrences of this one, but with large gaps between them in the log. Related to temporary connection loss perhaps?

GOT NEW LOGOUT TIMER
  at MagicalActual.Tagger.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
FMOD Studio Integration: Please add an 'FMOD Studio Listener' component to your a camera in the scene for correct 3D positioning of sounds

That’s all i could find that either seemed related to connection or was generally exception/error/warning related. I know you time is limited, so i thought it might save you some time if you at a glance could see something really off there rather than manually sifting through the 12000 lines of this short 30 minute session log.

I don’t do this to nag. I just really want this issue fixed, not just for me but for all players and ofcourse you guys are also better off with happy players and a stable system.

@Riley_D
Also, i just did a speedtest using Ooklas service (speedtest.net) on about 8 different servers located in New York as i could read in another thread that the game server is located close to that area.

The result of these tests showed me an average ping of 80-110 to these servers, as well as a transfer rate of 10-50 Mbps up/down.

Just now had another case of OrbusVR instantly exiting. No errors, warning or anything. Mid fight with a mob, after 17 minutes of gameplay. Nothing in the log to indicate anything wrong.

(last lines in the log are ping size 14, current client latency direct 56ms, total time played so far 17.00855 min, and current memory imposters 0)

Just to add some extra information, this was is after a clean install of win10 (updated drivers etc) on my new SSD rather than the ancient western digital hdd it was previously installed on. Game was smooth, then it poofed.

Same thing just happened. Grinded some mobs, spoke to a runemage in trouble, saved him from death, grinded a few more mobs, game exit. Nothing in the log once again. Last entries similar to the ones above, except the session only lasted 10.3 minutes.

Edit:
And like the previous case, no visible spikes in CPU, memory, disk, ethernet or GPU to be seen in the graphs.

@Riley_D

Maybe i can shed a little more light on the problem. Looking at the windows event log, there were 2 errors happening which fit with the times that the OrbusVR client suddenly quit:

Fejl, 13-06-2018 20:27:45, Application Error, Hændelses-id 1000, Opgavekategori (100)

Navn på program med fejl: vrclient.exe, version: 5.6.4.49577, tidsstempel: 0x59f3211d
Navn på modul med fejl: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.112, tidsstempel: 0x6529f37c
Undtagelseskode: 0xc0000374
Forskydning med fejl 0x00000000000f4d1b
Proces-id 0x154c

and

Fejl, 13-06-2018 20:47:30, Application Error, Hændelses-id 1000, Opgavekategori (100)

Navn på program med fejl: vrclient.exe, version: 5.6.4.49577, tidsstempel: 0x59f3211d
Navn på modul med fejl: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.112, tidsstempel: 0x6529f37c
Proces-id 0x2210

Sorry, danish version of windows. However, translated these would be:

Error, 13-06-2018 20:27:45, Application Error, Event ID 1000, Task category (100)

Faulting application name: vrclient.exe, version: 5.6.4.49577, tidsstempel: 0x59f3211d
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.112, tidsstempel: 0x6529f37c
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset 0x00000000000f4d1b
Faulting process id 0x154c

and

Error, 13-06-2018 20:47:30, Application Error, Event ID 1000, Task category(100)

Faulting application name: vrclient.exe, version: 5.6.4.49577, tidsstempel: 0x59f3211d
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.112, tidsstempel: 0x6529f37c
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset 0x00000000000f4d1b
Faulting process id 0x2210

As far as i can google, exception code 0xC0000374 means STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION. That is probably as much information as i can get about it on my end.

And a little bit more googling on common causes of this exception happening:

Most of these can probably be ruled out, since Unity would barf up errors and refuse to compile. A few of them could easily happen without generating compile errors though :wink:

… and one more time, this time after 16.67 minutes play according to the output_log.txt which again doesn’t hold any other info.

Another event popped up in event viewer at the same time:

Proces-id 0x1480
Programmets starttidspunkt 0x01d4034c417ce61e
Programsti: C:\OculusLibrary\Software\orbus-online-llc-orbusvr\vrclient.exe
Modulsti: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Rapport-id: fdf2e088-3ad5-4142-9404-0937778ca308
Fuldt navn på program med fejl: 
Relativt program-id for program med fejl: 

Note: All of the 3 above sudden client quits happened on default connection. I’ll try one last time tonight on websocket to see if there is a difference.

Final post from me on this topic today:

Just ran a 25.3 minute session on the websocket option, with none of these sudden client exits.

Conclusive? Not at all, but being the first of 4 sessions in a row not showing the specific error behaviour during the first 20 minutes it is food for thought.

This time however, i logged out simply because i became too sweaty :wink: All 4 sessions were low level warrior grinding, and i’m not exactly in shape :wink:

Regardless, this may give you some clues to go by.

Here we go again: https://files.fm/u/r6ffhwph

Websocket, connection lost. Prior to this, while grinding on warrior, poor sync as in mob hits happening before animation start, combos not going off etc.

I think i am done with this. After starting this thread which now has 56+ posts and over 800 views, seemingly nothing has changed on orbus’ end, while i believe i have tried more or less everything in my power to track down if there is anything i can do on my end to alleviate the problems including fresh win10 install on a new ssd, cpu overclocking, the different connections, monitoring, pinging, connection tests etc…

So… Have fun with your game, apparently i can’t be a part of it as currently it is just not fun to have gameplay interrupted so often.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.