Level scaling is awful

Hmm but why are they scaled all the time? Why are they not only scaled when you are on a mission for it (or as public event of-course)? It makes more sense for a person to fight something what is worth fighting for. And when the mob is not needed for anything that is suppose to be your lvl mission then the scaling is removed? :man_shrugging: (a.k.a. most mobs when having the yellow quest icon are scaled and otherwise not)

I’m not really sure how that would work and interact with the other players in the game. Let’s hypothetically say we only made it to where a mob is scaled when you’re on a mission for it. So the first thing that immediately springs to mind is, okay what happens if both you and another player are attacking the mob. We’d probably have to make it to where if you attack in and it’s not scaled then it negates credit for anyone who is on the mission. Or we’d have to just “lock” those mission mobs and only let you attack them if you are scaled anyway (which is probably what we’d have to do to prevent griefing, i.e. someone intentionally just killing all the mission mobs in an area to prevent new players from doing their missions).

So now we’ve got a system where you are going through most of the world and yeah I guess nothing is attacking you, but you can’t attack most of it unless you turn on scaling anyway.

I don’t really think that would be a better solution. I do think that maybe we should go back and examine what mobs have scaling turned on and get some out of that system that don’t need it for missions (e.g. the wildlife comes to mind). That way there is less in the world that is purposely scaled.

2 Likes

I think the reason here that Riley has said is that lower leveled player can access the events and most / all of the overworld as a solo character. I think your example works best if in a party.
I think having the world accessible to all players is their priority and then how to make it so if a party is formed, how do they make it worth while for everyone when characters are at different levels.

I was thinking about that too. But this was also possible in the normal game. And did not seem to have a big impact as far as I know. Do you actively want to try and prevent ppl from doing this now? I remember in previous Orbus many ppl who asked higher lvl players to help them with some kill quests. So basically helping and being too OP without reward themselves. Which is basically the same. Yes 1 person gets it easier but the other person is basically wasting their time (in game reward wise).

Did the normal game have big problems with grievers? I can’t remember any big problem on that front.

Maybe your right, but for some reason I feel there is another solution here that makes it 100% fool proof. But can’t really think of it now :man_shrugging:

So I spent a lot of last night thinking about this, and there are just so many new features that feed into the scaling that we just didn’t have in the old game, which is something else to consider.

For example, it would make no sense to offer a way to repeat missions/quests that you did while leveling without some sort of scaling in place. Furthermore, it makes no sense to have a system where you continue getting rewards for “over-leveling” past max level like we have now, if there’s not a good way to keep getting XP. So without scaling, all the Level 30 characters would basically end up getting the XP in one max-level zone. Which brings us back to a major problem in the original game, separation of the community into “level buckets,” which is very detrimental to a community of our size in-game.

I have to put a pin in this from my end because I have a list of bugs and features a mile long we are trying to get done by Friday and if I spend all day on here discussing it I will get none of that done. But based on this discussion on Friday we will:

• Pull some mobs out of the scaling system, including the wildlife. This should provide a larger variety of enemies spread more evenly around for those who want to grind non-scaled creatures; plus since the primary goal of the wildlife is to provide ingredients now it makes sense, since as I noted we want resource farming to be non-level-scaled.
  • Experiment with a -4/+6 system to see if that helps a bit with the “we always feel too weak” situation. I want you to feel more powerful as you level up, I just don’t want the content to be faceroll easy; but I think we’re probably still too far on the “too hard” side of things.
  • As I noted we’ll have the Mission Credits system in, which should make it much more obvious why you would want the mobs to be scaled (since they are still relevant to you even at max level, and not just cannon fodder).
  • Remove the penalty for doing lower-level Missions.

I look forward to getting feedback on those new changes and we’ll see what that does. Thanks!

9 Likes

Haha I hoped I am one of the few people who noticed that :wink: … the #1 reason I go online during the day is to farm. People used to farm dram and reagents in instances. Then they were confined to the overworld, which was ok in the OG, but now the confinement concentrates on very, very few spots. It would be stupid to farm anywhere else since it’s so much faster with these mob groups, even faster than in front of HS.
And thus I fear those few spots (I tried to track them down and even found a “fastests”…) are quickly overfarmed. I enjoyed my alone-time there in the Beta seeing only 1-10 ppl overall on the server, but if only one mage is around to nuke em all then the spot is worthless. And unlike the OG there’s barely any alternatives to go for, I’d likely log off and wait for better times.

Just my 2 cents regarding this specific point. It’s not really about the “powerful” feeling for me, but about limited time available and most efficient ways to use this time to get resources and drops.
In the end it’s likely a good idea to wait for launch if those fears come true or not, and perhaps also for some opinions of the people yet to come or the many who will rejoin the game.

1 Like

I’m super excited for these changes! Felt kinda bad in the last beta getting whooped by a pair of deer overlevel, so I’m glad y’all are still open to experimenting on changes! We’ll definitely see on Friday.

Will we be getting a full patch notes post?

Probably get them Friday morning so they can squeeze in any last changes

So on lvl scaling the thing that is confusing me is, in not sure how to tell what mobs are scaled. I think the mobs with just the lvl icons are scaled. While I think the mobs that have like brackets around the lvl sign are not scaled. I could be totally wrong on this though. It would nice to gave a chart (and if there is and I missed it I apologize) where it shows what the icons on top of mobs means. There are also other icons I have no idea as well. E.g… exlimation, I’ve seen an like oval shaped, the brackets. No idea what these mean really just guessing.

Further more I don’t even see the purpose in having lvl icons over scaled mobs since there scaled to your lvl anyway… what does a green low lvl triangle mean when your lvl say 25 and it’s on your lvl anyway. May as well just get rid of the icons on lvl scaled mobs might make it easier to tell which are scaled and which aren’t.

1 Like

I’m with you there. Some of these symbols are very confusing.

IIRC, normal level symbol is scaled, greyish box/brackets is unmatched, yellow shield is elite/special mobs, and the exclamation is for what you currently have uncompleted kill quests for.

Level icons are important if you’re scaling with a sliding scale, so you can tell if you’ll be at an advantage or disadvantage

I may a bit old and you all might miss the comparison here, but everquest had a great system. Every zone had a wide mixture of mobs from a wide range of levels. There were always mobs you could gank, and mobs that could potentially gabk you.

For example, dark elf starting area of Nektulos forest. Most people stayed there from 1-6, then moved on. Move around the wrong corner and a level 10 zombie would chase you into a group of level 30 shadowmen.

1 Like

Thanks for the conformation

Sand Giant!!! Any high levels here? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well it is not your level, it means you are higher level, but only 4 levels, at max, while a purple means they are your exact level - and for sure a bit harder than greens -, so it is useful to give a basic orientation.
Though I personally really wished to have the numbers showing so you always know exactly what to expect; on the one side we will have exact dmg meters, dmg shown ingame as well and what not but we don’t even know which levels the mobs are around us. The icons are too vague and are also hard to see from the distance.

I wished in the long run there would be a ‘detailed’/technical view in settings where you see ALL the numbers, dmg, healing, mob health, own health on your bar, in exact numbers. Who thinks all this breaks immersion can simply turn it off and go with the reduced, ‘blurry’ markers.

2 Likes

We’ll see how things go on Friday and when the game launches…

And yes, you have given your reason for the system to exist, but frankly, you’re not the one playing the game - WE are. - No offense intended here. Just saying we’re the ones that have to deal with the system you have in place. I just want to enjoy it and feeling like I have to work just as hard to kill beginner mobs (not saying they might kill me, just to get them down) at higher levels is not fun.

4 Likes

Ok so bear with me I’m a little new to lvl scale. Orbus us my first real mmorpg I’ve played been playing for over a year though. So if green us 4 lvls below and pink is your lvl. What are yellow diamonds that used to be up to 2 lvls below, red which were up to 2 lvls above, or stared which was 3 or higher in the lvl scale?