MagicBacon’s Idea for a Better Class System

Yes I believe we have said publicly in a couple places that we are looking to add a Talent system to the game, which would allow you to change up the play style of some of the classes. I don’t have all the details on that yet and I can’t comment on what that means for each class right now, but the concept is that you will be able to specialize each class into almost a “sub-class” level of uniqueness. We’ll probably release more details about that after Content Patch One is out the door.

12 Likes

That sounds amazing! I’m so excited for the future of the class system!

2 Likes

I like the idea that you can not only multi-class but also multi-role.

The only issue is that you’d probably have to revamp or add a lot more to the current classes to achieve this.

Runemage tank for example, would need a variety of spells to…well tank. Sure they could make it so that in “tank role” with a “tank wand” they suddenly have the same HP/defenses as a knight using a large shield but need to repeatedly cast “taunt spell”. That would be the simplest but also cheapest way to achieve a multi-role multi-class system.

I don’t see this happening because of the talent system the devs have mentioned they are pursuing but we’ll have to see what that is like to see where this idea stands after.

1 Like

Most classes being able to do almost anything is one of the reasons I stopped playing modern MMOs. It looks great on paper but I think it ends up being bland.

I think MMOs that go back to old school Class X is best at X is sorely missing, and the fact that I am getting this in a VR MMO is just icing on the cake.

Making classes that have very specific strengths adds more character to the game, and makes the players feel more unique.

4 Likes

You can’t do any class on demand. As stated you’d have to grind each class for each character. This means that it’s the same system as now with more options. As for uniqueness… no matter what character you choose right now, your nowhere near unique. A support archerer would be unique.

We’re not asking to be able to Tank, DPS, and Support at the same time. We’re asking to be able to do one of those things with each class. I personally do want it to lock you into that role during combat/dungeons because you’re right. A lot of modern MMOs are boring group wise because everyone can do everything.

1 Like

Yea but this completely ruins the point of classes. Or leveling each class for that matter. I would hate for all my hours for grinding each class to be for nothing.

Just to make sure the expectations are set properly, the Talent System is not going to be something where you can suddenly be a Ranger who can heal as well as a Musketeer or a Runemage who can Tank.

It’s about changing up the class to better match your preferred play style, such as a Ranger who prefers fast-firing vs one who wants to fire more slowly and carefully. Or a Runemage who prefers using a small cadre of spells and getting them off as fast as possible, versus one who wants to be more focused around long-term strategy in groups of spreading status effects around. That kind of thing.

There will likely be some options for “bending” some of the roles, such as a Warrior who can pump out higher DPS at the cost of some tankability, or a Ranger who can be more support-focused with their tools. But it’s certainly not going to “break” the role system to the point that you’re going to have a Warrior running around healing people by slashing them with a sword or something.

There will be more classes introduced, where even if you don’t like the current Musketeer and you’d like a different healing approach that would be available to you, but again, the roles at this point may bend but I don’t anticipate a point where we would ever have a Runemage filling all 3 roles in a group.

Of course, you are free to continue discussing the idea, and I am always open to new ideas. But since I responded to this thread I just wanted to clarify how the Talent System is going to work in general so people aren’t expecting to suddenly be a Tank Runemage in a few weeks.

12 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I wasn’t totally sure what direction you were taking and how open you were to reworks this late in the development.

1 Like

Hey, that’s great. That will help a lot in the endgame. Thank you for the clarification.

Thank you! Sounds very exciting :slight_smile:

Confirmed release date for new talent system. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

:rofl::sweat_smile:

It’s just an offhanded comment! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Gotta respectfully push back on this a bit. The Runemage and Musketeer are very unique. I’ve never seen a healing class that shoots people to heal them, where real targetting matters. Healers in other games hit a button and the person is healed. This actually takes skill, especially when the person who needs healing is hopping around trying to take less damage.

Runemage speaks for itself. Insanely unique due to play style mechanics.

To be clear, what I am calling “bland” would be a system where a paladin pushes a button, and now they can tank. Push another button, now they can heal. Again and they can DPS. Everyone can do everything is boring to me. Its just like every other modern MMO. All you need is 5 warm bodies, push a few buttons and you’ve got a full party, as opposed to certain classes being essential, because not everyone can do what everyone else can do.

I was grinding elites with some friends in game. We saw a mage wandering about, and everyone gets excited at the prospect of asking the mage to join the group, because they can do things no one else can do. That is the rush I like about this game.

The support archer is a good idea, but as a brand new class in my opinion. Sooner or later the game is going to need a 2nd healer class, and that would be an interesting one, as opposed to adding a Cleric or something, which is super overdone.

Please read the full thread before responding. You can’t just switch classes, you’d still have to level them up with my idea. Each class has a different level.

Do you realize that a level 20 DPS archerer in my idea is not a level 20 support archerer? This is in the original post. If I only play DPS archerer and I get it to lvl 20, then I have a level 20 DPS archerer. I also have access to a level 1 support archerer as well as lvl 1 of every class on every character. Do you get what I mean? If I go to a high level dungeon with a tank, tank, DPS, DPS, and we need a support, I can not support. If I did it would be level 1. I only have a single level 20 DPS, nothing else. And it’s an archerer, nothing else.

Also:

Pitching in to agree with Riley’s post and respectfully disagree with OP’s. If you allow every class to do everything you wind up with WoW where the only difference is the particle effects that go with something. I much prefer older school MMO design where classes define what you are doing, as long as there are enough classes that you have some options to pick from.

6 Likes

*blowing dust off this topic*

I think the main point is for everyone to be able to play a class and a role that he enjoys, not necessarily every class being able to fill every role. Not all combinations will exist but everyone should be able to find a role that he likes on any class or a class that he liked to any role.

Meaning that even tough tanking runemages will never be a thing, there probably will be another class except warrior that can tank in the future if you don’t like how warriors play.

2 Likes

I would love to see some expansion of types of orbs, arrows, and spells that will allow some flexibility in each of these classes.