More animation to combat

I think the idea of open world mmorpg is great, but the combat in orbus was not as fun as I imagined (I think karnage chronicles has a better system when it comes to combat mechanics).

IMO, I liked Karnage Chronicle’s combat more because the monsters showed some reaction animation of being hit and some blood when I slash them with a sword. This small detail really makes it feel more immersive and REAL when compared to simply seeing damage numbers and health bar decreasing (currently, the monster show no animation of being hit and the only animation is when it dies). This is just my idea and there can be much better ways to implant the animations into combat.

I am not a tech guy, and I am just saying what I feel is lacking in the combat of orbus and why I don’t find it fun (so please don’t get offended if you believe the combat in orbus is perfect and believe it’s not possible to improve). In others word, I’m just saying what I think can help make the combat system more fun. Here is a link of what I’m talking about when it comes to animation of monster getting hit (maybe less blood if developers find it inappropriate). https://www.vrfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Karnage-Chronicles-Gif-1.gif 1

Some people mentioned to me that making every hit causing a monster to flinch (animation) is not possible (ex. the ranger can constantly deal hits and there can be more than one player attacking, so if the monster flinch every time it would break the game). IMO, rngeus can work and only have some atk make the monster flinch and the others just merely showing the monster reacting to the hit where the second animation doesn’t affect the monster hitting you (in other words, the first one actually have some battle advantage and the second is merely cosmetic). This is just my idea, there could be much better ways to implant the animations.

All in all, combat is really a core component of mmorpg, so I really hope for the developers who are reading this review will consider adding more animation of the monsters getting hit to the combat (verses currently the same pattern of the monster attacking, I attack it, show no sign of reaction when I hit it and continues attack animation, and only a death animation when it dies)! Adding more animation to combat would make it more fun and immersive!

Absolutely agree. What gets me most is that the combat is practically dead silent. Just a small sound effect for each of (your own) hits would do wonders, and a slightly different sound for each ability would be even better. Granted I’ve only played the Ranger, and I know the runemage abilities each make their own sounds (but generally not when they hit things)

I’m glad you agree, the combat IMO definitely have room for improvement. It doesn’t need a complete overhaul but adding some small details like the ones you mentioned could really make the combat experience a whole lot better.

I think additional visual and audio feedback in combat would be a great improvement overall, but adding additional animations could mess up the core combat mechanics (as we discussed in discord)

There are sound effects on hit, but they often sound lackluster. Some beefier, varied sound effects would go a long way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.