Mounts no longer "stick" to the ground

Prior to the update today mounts would always hover a bit above the ground at a constant height(except for places that had walkable ground beneath it, like the upper levels of highsteppe), but after the patch today they’re always at the same height relative to your head and moves up and down with your head.

This was a fix we put in to fix the issue where if you go on a ramp or bridge the mount locations would bug out and suddenly be way underground or would be on your head.

I didn’t realize it had made it into the game but it’s an intended fix for the old bug - is it causing other issues?

well no, but it feels like it’s way to high up when you’re standing and when you’re sitting it clips the ground a little bit. I would rather have the old system and have it broken on multilayer stuff(basically just highsteppe you notice it)

2 Likes

Part of the reason we changed this behavior is we’re starting to add mounts that aren’t under your feet anymore - which under the old system would not work at all and sometimes would even block your sight or things like that when they would break due to the stickiness.

If it’s an issue with them looking much worse, we can reevaluate in the future if we want to adjust the positioning. Have you noticed if it changes based on if you are sitting or standing at the time of launching the game?

2 Likes

Goat Mounts confirmed… :goat:

2 Likes

Yeah I also would like to have the old system back, they feel way too high up :woman_shrugging:

shouldn’t it be possible to have some mounts using the old system and some using the new system?

3 Likes

Can we get back to the old system regarding mounts? Having the mounts fly in the air looks horrible

Could you take a screenshot of what you mean by flying up in the air?

I took some Screenshots will upload them tonight, it’s really horrible

Rick was standing next to Burn, look how high its up.
My Mount always feels like its where my knees are when im standing up

1 Like

Honestly Im pretty happy that my rocket mount is not sliding on the ground anymore and my other mounts are finally visible and are not in the texture of the ground most of the time i play…

e.g. Prior to this update Ive seen dragon mount that was half under the ground once and then other time a dragon “stucked” in player that was probably sitting on the floor while playing… it looked kinda wierd so im happy for the changes

I think an in between solution should apply for most mounts. So the previous solutions where:

• Client sets ground position when player model loaded in zone and keeps that as ground. Player switching height did not affect the mount height. But ground changing height did. Causing bad designed ground to suck up a mount. And late loaded player models to have a mount on their head.
  • Currently mount is set relative to player model height and kept there no matter what. Bad ground or late loaded models do not f it up. But players standing way higher or lower while already in the zone will have their mount float or stuck more in the ground. Mostly the new mounts floating up as if you are wearing a hula hoop is annoying for the current implementation.

Maybe a solution that sets the mount height like the current one relative to the player, but moving your body way more up or down should keep the mounts lower. Instead of rigidly moving with you. For the backpack mounts coming up you can set a rigidity parameter for every mount and set those on most rigid.

1 Like

The only places mounts weren’t where they should be prior to this update was areas with more walkable area beneath it, which is just upper highsteppe and some bridges in the dlc areas. Out in the overworld mounts have always been showing up where they should.

2 Likes

It is better than it was in highsteppe , I can now raise my chair a little to get my mount to appear on the ground . But if I stand it looks a bit silly.

Any chance to get mount relocation anchors so I can bind it where I want with my character ?

Just lock it to 1 axis and only allow me to move it from feet to knees and that would fix it so I can move it if I’m standing or sitting.

Actually, why not just lock the mount in y position of the camerarig(playspace) instead of the player? That way it would always be a set height above the ground everywhere(except if you’re floating).
For the jetpack mount it would need an exception of some sort, but should totally be doable.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.