New Beta Available for Testing

The beta branch seems to not have fixed pathing in the dungeons of Tradu mines among probably other things. For example, the walls of certain areas of the Crypt appear to be missing compared to the normal build. Or the path in Skywalk on the left tunnels become unpathable halfway through. I believe others have reported similar issues on the beta branch and this might also be affecting other lower level dungeons from what I’ve heard.

Other than that the performance is much better overall regardless of the pop ins.

Okay, thanks for the feedback everyone! It seems like we’re on the right track. I will get a new build out later today hopefully with a few fixes as well.

Ever since changing to beta, the game crashes more often than before :frowning: so changing back to main branch for now

That’s interesting…did you send me an output log?

Not yet, want me to send in pm or email?

Email would be great, thanks, I’ll take a look. Also if it generated one of those folders with the date/time on there as well send me that.

sent you the dated folder zipped

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Samsung Odyssey
GTX 970
Intel i5 7600k
16g of ram
running from SSD

The “beta” branch increased my performance in game -remarkably-. Even beyond zoning, I was having much less stutter/lag while traveling within a single zone. This was never persistent the past but it was very noticeable over time. Zoning is night and day faster. Only going into Lavamora with the ton of flowers did the game even give me the loading screen long enough for the Orbus logo, and in between the starter zone, desert, and jungle I didn’t experience the loading flicker at all. The pop in was very quick. While it was visible it’s superior to the “pause and load” in all respects in my opinion.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it helped, what in game graphical setting were you playing on?

1 Like

Standard graphics setting

Tried the new beta branch. The transitions were definitely shorter and pretty cool to see.

I had to switch back though because I was crashing more often than usual while doing Tradu Mines. Also I found doing Frostbolt 2 would fizzle more frequently and I’m not sure why. When I switched back, casting Frostbolt 2 was much easier.

Hmmm…nothing should be different about the spell casting…

Someone else experienced additional crashes and it seems to be the same UDP bug as usual and the beta branch just exacerbates it. So we need to get that solved before we can roll the beta branch out to everyone for sure.

I had a glitch that never happened to me before: i was lv1 with no gear/inventory and had to relog to fix it.
Also on the beta i couldn’t see a couple walls in the crypt and the path for the potion keeper was broken.

Loving the beta branch so far, except one grudge - if network latency is somewhat high walking seems to be slowed down occasionally. This has led me to believe I was in stuck in combat in a couple of occasions, and made walking longer distances somewhat annoying. Where this would’ve been covered by a loading screen before, the lag buildup makes me feel like I’m suddenly walking through quicksand, exacerbating the already sometimes long travel times on foot.

I’ve reinstalled the game last night, I’ve been playing a bit without crashing, but didnt have much time, will do a more thorough testing tonight

Can confirm beta branch on my system:
Oculus Rift
AMD FX-8350 proc
AMD RX-570 vid
8GB RAM
WD10EZEX SATA drive. (simple 1TB WD Blue)

More than any other part in my system, I’ve been tempted to replace the HDD with an SSD, but it looks like I get to put that off a little longer still. This update does indeed load a lot quicker and smoother for me, at medium graphics settings.

Played for a couple hours today without a crash. Walked all around Highsteppe -> Zoological Gardens -> Frosted Spit -> Tree Top Village -> and back to Highsteppe. Never saw a time where I had to stop moving or looking around, just watching stuff pop into existence, or shift from a low detail model to a higher detail model.

I’ll be curious to see how this looks when walking around with others though. I’ll be on this weekend with Orbus friends!.

Great stuff! Thanks.

Any news on the beta coming to the oculus store?

I just put out a new patch on the Beta branch that should fix the issue with the path in the Potion Keeper wing of the Tradu Mines.

I am working on a standalone download now.

2 Likes

Hi Riley,

I just re-downloaded the beta (after being unable to open the desert mountain door) and I noticed immediately that other than gloves, my “… of the jungle” blue gear doesn’t display correctly. It looked fine last time I downloaded the beta, wondering if something happened with the recent updates.

When I swap out a piece of gear and then put the jungle piece back on it retains the model of the last equipped gear, so it’s almost as if the gear is invisible.