New Patch: 3.60

Well now I feel stupid. For some reason I thought poison wouldn’t stack… by now I’d be level 20 for sure lol.

It was worth dying in order to force the all-honorable Draven to become a bandit for 24 hours. “Yeah Draven, try it. You can’t get past my shield. Nah, you shouldn’t become a bandit. . .” etc

3 Likes

Thanks for the sword rush tweak. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet, but I’ve heard good things from those who have.

Quick Q about the warrior ult charge. It seems a little slow to charge and even in aberration fights I find I can only use it once every 2 fights or so. (When I do get to use it it’s incredible. Instant shield recharge and being able to take a LOT more hits feels great). I just feel it might be a bit slow.

Also, it seems wound charges the ult fastest. Is there a trick to charging it? Alternating combos, 4 hit combos vs 3 hit? I understand how the ranger and mage ults charge the quickest, was just curious if I’m missing something warrior ult-wise. (I never think about how to best charge it because it’s either charged or not)

Okay. What is the alternative? Take into consideration I do a normal rotation whilst trying to retain a 3 shots per second for max damage. I don’t see any other way but to keep ‘firing at 3 shots per second’ in my rotation.

1 Like

Logan I was experimenting with charging our ult on aberritions yesterday, and as you say, the wound combo seems to charge it at a faster rate than provoke does. While my group was getting used to the fights, I found that I really wanted to have an ult available for each fight to help out the healer, so when the mini boss got below 20% I switched to wound, and that usually helped recharge my ult to be ready for the next batch. With horn I was able to hold agro all but one time. The slow ult charge from provoke could be problematic in other encounters where we don’t get the luxury of using wound though. I figured that managing it’s timing and charging, like that of our shield health, was just part of playing warrior, but I also wonder if it’s a wee bit slower than intended.

I feel like maybe this conversation started off on the wrong foot for some reason. So let me just be clear:

• “Fast Firing” is probably one of the highest-DPS ways to play the Ranger right now.
  • This change should not be seen as some sort of nerf designed to get people not to do that, it was a broken mechanic, as judged by the fact that the Range Ultimate was up way too often compared to the other classes. It has nothing to do with play style choice and was simply an incorrect mechanic.
  • In the future the Talent System will hopefully expand the available play style choices for all classes (including the Ranger) while still maintaining a balance, so that if you prefer the Fast Firing style of play you can keep doing it, and in fact there will be talents that further support that choice.
  • Regardless of all of that, the Super was still broken and procing too quickly, so it had to be fixed.

If you want more discussion on it other than that I suggest you start a separate thread, as this is getting pretty far outside Patch Notes territory.

5 Likes

That makes sense. What I usually do is put my shield away and spam wound when the aberration is close to dead. There was never any strategy behind besides making myself feel like a total badass (started as a joke to make friends laugh but turned into a rolls eyes, sigh type scenario I always find funny) Glad to hear it may actually help a bit!

I rarely die to aberrations (awesome healers, dps, and my own skill (slight brag, but there’s a point), and with the current charge rate I use the ult in clutch situations. The only reason I brought it up was because of the other ult talk. I’m perfectly fine with how it is, but it does seem a little slow.

1 Like

I think a lot of people’s concerns with class balance/mechanics right now would be alleviated by a bit of insight into the talent system. Some design philosophy and what we can generally expect. Like are we getting “2% more damage while fighting humanoids” or are we getting large modifiers to existing abilities? New abilities? It seems like a lot of balance is based around a change we don’t know a lot about is what I’m saying.

I don’t like talking about things before we know exactly what’s going in for the exact reason that it ends up going even worse, we have to walk back things that didn’t make the cut because they don’t actually work, etc.

Hopefully I can do a blog post on our plans sometime in the next week, we’ll see how far I get on the dungeons.

8 Likes

Okay that clarified my concern.

Excited to see your post about talents etc.

Thanks,

Are we encouraged to switch to the primary branch or is it a wash to just stay subscribed to beta if we expect to opt-in to test future changes?

Thanks for the fixes Riley! especially the tooltip :grinning:

I will keep Beta on the latest branch unless there is new code for it so you don’t have to switch off it if you don’t want to.

Can we change the musketeer super to instantly regenerate the turret as well or is that too powerful?

I’m noticing an increase in crashes with this patch, as well as a new issue where when I attempt to log in with my character, I become stuck in the 'loading screen" (Not the steam VR loading, but the in-game loading screen.) The ‘Game is not responding’ pops up not long after.

Sometimes takes a couple tries to get back in-game.

Okay, please send me your output_log and I’ll take a look.

Keep up the good work guys

1 Like

Love it. Keep up the great work.

A new minor patch will be going out in approximately 30 minutes to the client and server. In particular:

• Slightly increased the rate at which the Warrior and Musketeer gain Super to bring them in line better with the other classes.
  • Modified the Ranger Super charge rate. The penalty is now not nearly as severe for fighting up-close targets as those at long range. In addition, arrows using an ability (e.g. Poison Arrow) will now give a small bonus amount of Super, and using the Charged Shot will give a larger bonus of super as well. See notes below as well.
  • Fixed a bug which could cause you to accidentally purchase the wrong item when shopping in a new 24-slot stall when scrolled down the list of items.

General Notes on Class Super Abilities

I touched on this yesterday, but just expanding on this, the Supers are all intended to take around 60-90 seconds of active combat to charge for each class, and they are meant to provide a temporary "boost’ of effectiveness which can be used e.g. during a boss fight or to get out of a sticky situation.

The most effective way to charge the supers:

Ranger: You get a bonus for hitting targets without missing (up to 5 shots in a row), a bonus for hitting targets at a longer distance, and a bonus when using your ability arrows and Charged Shot. As long as you are firing at least 1 shot per second you are gaining the maximum Super rate.

Warrior: You gain Super for every strike on a target, and bonus Super for executing successful combo attacks. You also now gain a bonus when blocking attacks with your Shield.

Musketeer: You gain Super for every successful attack with an ability orb based on the number of targets the orb affects. So for maximum Super gain hit multiple targets at once with your orbs.

Runemage You gain Super for every successful spell cast that strikes an enemy. You gain bonus Super for casting a variety of spells rather than the same spell repeatedly.

Thanks!

11 Likes