Obsidian location

Just spread it around the zone a bit as well, along clifs and near rocks, not just in caves

5 Likes

Have to make this game easy for new players so were gonna make it rain obsidian.

:joy_cat: ā€¦ :joy_cat:

I never had a problem with getting ore I need (granted that I havenā€™t logged in for a bit so I donā€™t know the state of the game).

Ore is tied to location because of rarities, people will farm at Highstep most of the time for Obsidian because it would be the easiest (Then people would have one less reason the leave).

Iā€™ve also had the idea of player specific nods but it didnā€™t catch on.

I may be in the minority, but seems to me it gives one of the framable items in the game som value. This game has so few items like that. If you canā€™t farm them, buy them.

It does suck that the nodes are randomly obsidian or not. The worst thing is going in there and seeing that all the nodes were not cleared because someone is just looking for Obsidian and doesnā€™t realize clearing all the nodes is needed.

2 Likes

They did away with that a patch or so ago. Each spawner now spawns both Obsidian and Linstanium, effectively doubling the rate of Obsidian gathering. Iā€™ve legit gone through and gotten 15 in a single run. 30 when thereā€™s an expiring shard. I got over a stack in less than a day just by casually checking in every hour or so.

Iā€™ll still grab all the Linstanium too, just because Iā€™m trying to see how much I can get. I think Iā€™m at 15 stacks at this point lol

1 Like

My MSQ was locked behind content I do not like , I hate grinding in that cave for Obsidian but did it for the first part of the quest but then when I needed 30 I went back and sat in that cave for 2 hours bored out of my mind and had most of the nodes taken by the pack of other miners doing the same ā€¦ so I purchased the other 20 or so off the AH for the capital crime of like what was it 8k per or some nonsense before it got down to the ā€œreasonableā€ rate of 1k ā€¦

This is the same argument as pvp always on ā€¦ people want the choice not to and spending ludicrous amounts on the AH is not a ā€œchoiceā€ itā€™s a consequence of a bad mechanic.

The fact that one super user can spend their ENTIRE DAY farming nodes every 15 min is not ā€œworking as intendedā€ scatter that ore into the gigantic wasteland caves ā€¦ and all others ā€¦ and let me hit the walls of the cave too while your at it for ā€˜fishing mechanic ore gatheringā€™ ala that other thread.

1 Like

Just a quick noteā€¦ I ran into the cave twice today and emerged with 29 Obsidian. Just in between fishing potions and dungeons queues. Thereā€™s no need to sit there and farm. I legitimately have no idea why people are making it harder than it needs to be. If you want stacks, sure, farm it. But even in prime play time itā€™s not like itā€™s impossible to get.

2 Likes

You pay people to farm it for you.

So obviously itā€™s not enjoyable ā€¦

Itā€™s almost like you want it to remain this way due to profit margins .

What? Thatā€™s decidedly untrue. Please donā€™t lie about me on the forums. Also, only a small bit of my profits come from obsidian. A good 90% or so comes from fish. In the past week Iā€™ve picked up maybe 50 obsidian total. Stop with the nonsense that Iā€™m some obsidian addict

Again, Obsidian is not hard to get, you can walk in the cave every few hours and get all that you need. You donā€™t have to camp it out, you donā€™t have to farm it.

Can we keep the call outs off this form post? True or not, I donā€™t care. That not what this post is about.

I as well as everyone else can see there are conflicting opinions on what should happen, everyoneā€™s not going to agree but there is no need for that.

4 Likes

Yea itā€™s the same back-and-forth between the same people and yours is not the first thread about obsidian. However that does point to an issue.
Not only with the spawn points itself, but with peopleā€™s behavior.

In a nutshell, some farm that spot daily/several times a day, likely not only one person. If you got nothing else to do than that you will find a slot with ores in, sooner or later.

Others need 90(?) obsidian for the MSQ or arrive at the need to make tiles, they go there in their usual playtime, perhaps once a day only to find it empty, most of the time.

My own experience - visiting couple times a week or lessā€¦ - is either nothing in that cave when I check or rather few ores, never saw more than like 5. And sorry, often the same people are in that cave or come out of it when I arrive - which is highly unlikely, except they farm it in a crazy frequency or camp it. Once I got there again 1h later and same person STILL was there grinding mobs and I bet he did nothing else in between XD

Obsidian is not /that/ rare, it is made rare, by player behavior, since with current spawn timers and all-in-one-place it is easy to farm it off if you camp or visit often enough.

A spread-out to different zones or shorter spawn-timer would likely help the issue, for example creating a monopoly on nahomium or cryjeil is way harder.

I agree we need more rare items, also to boost sales, but they should be ā€œrareā€ because of, for example, their low drop rates.
And not because a resource can be taken by few and thus is no longer available for everyone else, thatā€™s the entirely wrong idea of ā€œrareā€ and Iā€™m pretty sure the MSQ was not even designed with that possibility in mind.

PS: The ā€œrightā€ idea of rare I got in mind are for example drops from treasure hunts, everyone got access to these no matter what others do. Or reward chests from overlevels or the grinder. Farming dyes is also no issue, sometimes a group is grinded by others, but thereā€™s countless, so you can just move on to another area to go for another rare dye type, if you wish.

PPS: Just visited the cave to check, 1 Linstanium in there, nothin else yeyyy (as usual :wink: )

2 Likes

Spreading it out to different caves, In my opinion, would be the best option.

Keep the same number of spawns just spread out to different caves. This would keep it as a ā€œrareā€ resource and give everyone a better chance to get ore.

With it being spread out to more caves, if anything, it would make it a bit more rare as people would have to put in more work to get it but would almost guarantee they got some running trough them all.

7 Likes

Just messing with the spawntimer a bit to make it hard to farm on a timer would be good. And at least a few spread out.

If you have plenty of time, sure, itā€™s no problem to get obsidian.

But if you happen to be online when people are farming it, you wonā€™t get a single piece for hoers, and as you donā€™t know when it will spawn, you have little to no chans to nab it.

In the old game in the PvP area if someone kept farming everything I could at least wait and get some resources in a chunk of there dead body, plus some payback for the wait. The lindstrandium on the island was a pain, but it at lest had some off spawns in the woods, and a few in the wilds. Now you have to play nice and wait untill they are done.

I think they didnā€™t realise that Obsidian was used in all of the ā€œusedā€ tiles when they added it for the MSQ, it only recently dawned on me that Obsidian is used in all of the tiles I make because I had been stocking up on tiles recently so I already have them made when they are needed with that + the MSQ it has increased the demand by quite a bit, the supply is much better now that itā€™s had the spawn points split from the Linstantium, I have found it much easier to get when I go, sometimes there isnā€™t any cause someone has beat me to it, other times I can get quite a bit.

I do think the Devs basically overlooked it when they added it to the MSQ but itā€™s too late to change now, they will have to just look into this stuff a little more when adding future quests (hopefully use up some of that linstantium instead)

That being said, I think moving it into other caves will just result in what happens when Iā€™m going for rocks, I will just run around and hit all the caves and stock up on what ever is there at the time, it probably wonā€™t really change the fact that someone will beat you there and youā€™ll get nothing, because rather than hitting 1 cave, they will just go hit them all meaning you wonā€™t be able to target the type of rock you want anymore and will just have to check all the caves and hope for the best but possible get worse results

1 Like

What about a zone that has more obsidian and harder mobs in groups. The catch is you can be killed by other players. If they kill you they get a 5 min bounty on their head. If you kill them you get a small amount of dram and they respawn in jail far away and drop their stuff.

What the hell god no
Theyā€™re trying to fix the economy, not break it!

While I more or less agree with you, me and Culfuray run in and out of crystal cave every now and then and we have a stack in the guild chest as well as our own personal stash
So while sure it may be hard to get, as mishka said he got 29 obsidian today
So to get this straight in my head, do you mean split how much spawns and put that somewhere else?
So then itā€™s crystal cave AND another cave?

How would that break it? Most people here avoid any pvp at all costs. Even suggesting pvp gets you attacked on here.

1. You donā€™t get attacked but thatā€™s beside the point
  2. If there is more obsidian, the prices go down
    The prices go down, the more money people have
    The more money people have, the less itā€™s worth
    Iā€™m 98.976% sure thatā€™s how inflation works
    Okay maybe 70%, but you get my point