Oculus or Steam version?

Ahead of choosing which platform to use, which would be the most reliable in general? Should I expect the oculus or steam client to have less issues? Would one of these clients be better for trouble shooting issues? Can’t wait to play the early access tomorrow!

I don’t know which client ver would has less issue, but I am gonna choose oculus key for my rift as I want to earn more decorations for my virtual rift home.

You would never know which one will give more problems in advance, but I do know the following:

• The testing rig that is most used by Riley is an Oculus. So that makes it more tested there.
  • There were more bugs mentioned in the Alpha and Beta specifically for the Oculus.

You are talking about the clients thou and I am actually comparing the Oculus Rift with the Htc Vive. I am guessing you are only using the Oculus Rift and want to use it either on the oculus or steam client. In that case I would go for the Oculus store because it matches your Oculus Rift. Unless you like the steamVR menu better :stuck_out_tongue:

So just to point out a couple of things:

1. The Steam version of the game is the exact same one that we’ve been using the whole time. It uses SteamVR/OpenVR if you have that, or the native Oculus SDK if you have a Rift. You do not actually have to use SteamVR to use the Steam client. You will still have access to Oculus Dash, etc.

2. The Oculus version only supports the Oculus SDK, because that’s their requirement (I literally can’t submit a build there that has the SteamVR DLL in it or it is rejected).

So really the question is just, do you want your Achievements on Steam, or do you want your Achievements on the Oculus store? I think that’s pretty much the only difference at this point. So it’s really just personal preference.

Bugs will be fixed on the same exact time on both platforms. There wouldn’t even be a bug that would exist on one platform and not the other, as it’s the same exact software, just with one bit taken out on the Oculus Store.

A final note on this, just to keep everyone in the loop. We have not actually passed the Oculus Store review process yet. We submitted builds to be approved at the same time on both stores which was in late November. It’s been fully approved on Steam and I am ready to hit the “Go” button there. Oculus has been a much slower process, and I was hopeful we were going to make it in time, but now to be honest I’m not so sure.

So there is a possibility that we may just have to do the start of Early Access only on Steam. We will know by the time we issue keys tomorrow. If that happens, we will just issue everyone a Steam key, and then whenever we are actually accepted onto the Oculus Store we will have a process where you can exchange your Steam key for an Oculus key if you want to go that route. You will not lose any progress or anything like that, as all of your Character data is stored on our end, and has nothing to do with the storefronts.

I’m hoping that won’t be the case as I really don’t want to have to deal with exchanging the keys later and I know there are some people who want it on the Oculus store, but it’s out of my hands. We’re working as best we can with the Oculus folks right now to hopefully still get on there by tomorrow, but I just thought I would keep everyone in the loop.

Thanks!

1 Like

Will OrbusVR include a trophy for our SteamVR home environments? <3

I haven’t had a chance to do anything with that yet, but it’s on my list to look into. If we do, we will do it in such a way that if for example we give you a trophy for defeating a World Boss, if you’ve already done it previously you’ll get the trophy as soon as it comes out.

2 Likes

Oh, also, just noting, I do use the Rift more often, but Robert plays exclusively on Vive, and quite frankly he’s in the actual game more than I am at this point, so I think it’s safe to say the Dev Team tests both platforms pretty thoroughly :slight_smile:

That would be soooo sweet. I really like steam vr home and having OrbusVR assets in there would be sooo sweet. I’d love to get a red tail model by killing 1k of them <3

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.