Patch 15.05 - Desync Fixes

Hi everyone, in today’s patch going out around Noon CST, we have a fix for two common desync issues - desync on death, where reawakening broke the game sometimes, and desync when changing classes, where you would not be recognized as the correct class or multiple classes.

We’ve tested this update a lot, including with party play, but it does have some fundamental changes to the way players load in the game, so let us know if you experience any new problems you’ve never heard of before.

We hope this will improve the quality of play for everyone, and we’ll keep working on squashing these frustrating issues. We’ll see you in game!

11 Likes

Server should be updated and live, make sure you grab the patch from your Oculus or Steam client.

2 Likes

What was the cause of the issue? This was a very frequent issue with me, and I’m curious what the reason for it was. Was it all the equipment staying in the class equipment slots even when not using that class? (Example: switching from Bard to Warrior, all my instruments stayed equipped in those six Bard slots that disappeared and were replaced by the one Warrior slot with a shield)

Just did a couple shards. Twice I switched class from mage to pally and I switched classes but the hammer was still in the wrong hand? I could just move the hammer back and forth between hands and it was fixed though. So its definitely less switching necessary but still a little weird?

Also I think you can tell where you would have desynced if it was a desync, it takes a second and then it felt like I reloaded? and I had like 0 health which is what happens after a desync I feel. I didn’t have to relog and on a shared pain week nobody had to relog because of a desync which is an improvement?

The flip side is my health got bugged at super low and in/out of combat speed was also messed up for most of the shards which are both things that make you think you’re desynced so its going to be kind of confusing as these adjustments are made.

It had more to do with the way classes were loading on the player object, which is why it was creating both problems.

The main hand/off hand issue appears to be unrelated, which is good news for the fix so far. Glad you didn’t experience the two issues directly, and thank you for reporting in.

Can you elaborate on these issues? In what way was the health and speed bugged for you?
Thanks!

There are a few major things that the client needs to know about when switching classes. Any number of these things or a combination of these things could not have been updating properly and so this is why there were several levels of severity when this would happen. The biggest one was dealing with loading/unloading the specific class object for your player and if missed would have to require a full relog to fix.
It’s hard to say why someone would experience it more than someone else other than just having poor connection. We have been using your character data for a lot of our testing so we’re still looking for other reasons here as well.
Hopefully with these changes even with a poor connection the overall experience should be noticeably improved. There are still problem areas that need to be looked into further this is just a first step.

2 Likes

Wait… I live in a swamp. My internet is delivered by carrier alligator. could this have been my problem all along?? That would explain why it wasn’t this bad back in Texas!

3 Likes

After doing a raid today, I didn’t have a single desync. I normally have 3-4 when running that raid. I’m not saying that it for sure worked, but It definitely felt like it.

On a side note, the desync I normally have in that raid is caused by death on boss 4. Just as an fyi.

1 Like

The speed was more throughout the shard I feel like I had out of combat speed way more often than I should have had when I was in combat with enemies. This happens also frequently in conjuction with like pips and books not working properly it makes me ask if I’m actually doing anything because things just aren’t showing.

The health bug I realize is also a different bug than the desync but it is when your health gets stuck at a certain level. For me it was stuck at 0. It fixes itself when you take damage from an enemy (aka your health changes and if your health is full thats the only way to change it). Normally when you desync on death you’re walking around with little health not changing and you have out of combat speed so it just looks similar but at the time I was actually moving around in game and didn’t have to relog to fix it, just get hit by an enemy. Does that make sense?

Edit: IDK if this is useful but there are a couple of checks that people do to make sure that they are not desynced.

1. (That I used in this case) was to check if my pet was still following me around. If it is, you’re probably not desynced.
  2. You can check if you’re getting heals (sometimes the bard heal will dance around you)
  3. You can see if their hands move. Sometimes peoples hands won’t move and that’ll mean they are partially desynced.

Those are just side notes sorry none of this is exactly relevant to the bugs you have fixed for the patch.

If you switch classes to the opposite hand the game takes away your health, if you switched classes but your weapon appeared on the opposite hand that you selected then this could be a new bug caused by the desynch fix, but it explains the low health

They didn’t happen same time. I switch classes fine and I don’t get the “multiclass bug” but my weapon appears in the wrong hand than it is in my loadout. I just switch hands within the class and it doesn’t take away any health.

The health thing was related to a death ‘when i would have’ desynced issue but I didn’t desync

I was in a party with two other people this afternoon waiting for a raid, and suddenly Pandamoe was in our party. He was apparently in the Crypt re-rolling for someone, and ended up in our party. There were no invites sent or accepted. Mysterious!

During the raid I heard several mages saying their lend-a-hand wasn’t working, and a few people (including myself) temporarily unable to draw their weapons.

Sounds like you are getting closer to weeding out the root of the causes rather than bandaids. Great work and keep it up! :+1:

1 Like

That happened to me too. I was using my daily roll then was in a party with someone who sent me a party invite like 20 minutes prior. I don’t recall seeing that invite before

That’s interesting. We’ll take a look when we get a chance, but it’s not new as far as you can tell?

We’re investigating this issue - do you know if they were able to get the loot from the roll as well or it prevented them? Also, can you let me know around what time this happened and who was in the party with you?

Thank you for the information. Were you able to receive your loot as well or did it completely prevent that, and can you let me know also around what time this was, and your character name & the person who invited you?

It was around 4pm Pacific time (give or take 15 min) and I was in a party with Sioth and Harm.

Pandamoe said he was trying to roll for someone, but he didn’t say if he got the loot or not.

No its not new. It has happened in the middle of combat, or out of combat. Think it might be related to how like pips/ or books desync? :woman_shrugging:

I got my second chest, it just immediately sent me through to the other party. I don’t recall if a second join party message came through as I was spam clicking the roll message without looking at the text

It was Mcat I’m León, and sorry I don’t recall the time, but I was in a sewer 15. It was maybe shortly after backbug week was reset

Last night, twice, I couldn’t pull my weapon. I’d feel the vibration but when I would grip nothing happened. I had to relog both times. This hasn’t happened before. I’m sorry I don’t have the exact time, probably around 11:00 pm pacific.

Can you let me know your character name? We’ll see if any errors popped up around then. Thanks!