Patch 23.01- Plateau of Apophis

Patch 23.01, The Plateau of Apophis Chaos Dungeon, will release today around 11 AM CST.

This patch will include an all new dungeon! The portal to this dungeon can be found around the Lamavora Battlefield. In addition, a new weapon set and two new pets will be included in this patch.
You can read more in detail about the dungeon in the post here.

Like the previously released chaos dungeon, Plateau of Apophis is a level 30 dungeon that will be part of the normal shard rotation and will start appearing on new shards dropped at all levels. We will be listening to community feedback on mechanics, balancing and overall fairness in difficulty and will be open to making any changes as needed.

We are excited to hear what you all think and hope you enjoy this as much as we enjoyed working it. Have fun!

10 Likes

Patch is now live!

5 Likes

The Steam version of the game wont update, keep getting an error message.

Occlus is working fine.

Hmm is it still an issue? I’ve spoken to someone online on steam currently.

1 Like

It is fixed now, thank you. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

We are giving the new dungeon a go now!!! We are live on both twitch ( Twitch ) & youtube ( https://youtu.be/m7kmyp4hHq8 )!!

2 Likes

@Jake_E I feel like the petting animations of the Grubbling pet should be swapped. I feel like he should chomp at non-owners, and open up for owners

Oh good call!
We can do that in a client-side patch along with a fix to the size of the new shaman mask

4 Likes

We have made a few changes today based on some feedback and these changes are currently effective in new dungeon instances starting now. Here are the changes:

Chief Mordoken

Summary

DoT attacks do not trigger penalty
Decrease purple bolt collision size and damage potency
Increase interrupt time for “Oogly Boogly” attack

Tothmaug

Summary

Increase max health
Changed status effect DoT applied to party during “Sand Storm”

We will be making more changes if needed throughout the week. Thanks to everyone for participating :smiley:

5 Likes

I have got to say, hearing the constant “OOGA! BOOGA! OOGA BOOGA!” callouts had me cracking up. I love this boss.

2 Likes

I love the notes you find in the dungeon but I’m wondering how many there are to find I’ve currently only found/heard of 2
Also the campfires cool showing there were humans there to anyone who doesn’t want to read

Was tons of fun.

My biggest complaint is that the rocks often bounce off boss 1, and very frustratingly off of my xylophone. Had to completely put the xylophone away and yeet them at the boss as hard as I could to get them to connect with the boss.

Loved these, only found two as well. Would love it if there were more around.

I am like 85% sure that this was the intention and people on the Dev team were snickering at the thought that every time we fight that boss, someone would have to call out “Ooga. Ooga. Booga! Oogly-Boogly!!!” like an idiot :rofl:

1 Like

So, I ran a level 14 Plateau shard today with a great group of players, and we got kinda stomped if I’m being completely honest.

We spent over half an hour attempting Mordoken alone and we never took more than like 30% of his health bar down. The adds are pretty tanky & they hit decently hard, so we were struggling to take them down in a manageable amount of time, often getting overwhelmed. I may have a better idea about how to deal with this & I’ll be trying to get another 13-15 shard to try that out on in the next few days, but it was really tough. I think it would be a lot more doable if they didn’t have quite as much health.

On the topic of health, Mordoken felt like he had a ridiculous amount of it. It seemed like it would be quite the long fight, even if we performed the mechanics flawlessly, including interrupting his heal. While I’m on that topic, his heal ability is definitely bugged. Sometimes he heals before the cast-bar is even over, and we saw at least a few cases where our interrupts just didn’t work at all. Our musky would use charged Gravity Orb and it did nothing at all, the boss healed anyway. I really like his mechanics, it just felt like the fight would take too long even with perfect execution, and that presents a problem for sharded dungeons where we have limited time.

As for Tothmaug, that fight feels like it’s in a pretty good place, except for the Boomerangs. I feel like there either needs to be a cap on the number of Boomerangs that can be in the arena at any given time, or we need to be able to break them somehow, because the longer the fight goes on it just becomes way too chaotic with the amount of them that are spinning around everywhere. Aside from that, his fight felt really good and he didn’t feel like he had too much health to take down in a reasonable amount of time. We were able to kill him on our second attempt.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that the DoT pools that spawn from the Rattle attack hurt A LOT. They were basically one-shotting everyone who wasn’t the tank, and even the tank couldn’t take more than 1 tick. We can probably learn to just call these out when the cast-bar starts and get used to teleporting pre-emptively to avoid it, but it certainly feels like the damage could be nerfed. It would still be punishing, just not so unforgiving-feeling like it felt in that shard today.

Oh and back to Mordoken, the DoT debuff from Ooga phase does not ignore Lava Totem pulses and I feel like it should. Lava Totem is a staple of high-end Shaman builds, and it’s not like our Shamans can just despawn their totems at will or anything, so it’s really punishing for them. They can’t use Lava Totem at all or we risk a party wipe bc it will trigger the debuff. If that mechanic can ignore DoTs from other DPS classes/abilities, I think it should ignore the Lava Pulse too.

Anyways that’s about all I wanted to say about it. We’ll be trying higher shards every chance we get this week, I’ll post an update here if we find better ways to get through them. Best of luck to anyone else who attempts any high-shard Plateaus this week!

2 Likes

I had the same problem when testing. It seems like it heals anyway when you stun him around 80% of the castbar.

I think this is part of the same bug. Maybe the castbar is ahown too late. When he already decided your too late.

@FuggingSboog

Have you tried second boss on the 14?

I really feel like the design of the dragon boss is off.

To get my opinion in on that boss:

It has the sandstorm. Which is a very cool attack. But the sandstorm only happens when you fail stunning. So when you do the mechanics right, you will never see one of the cooler attack animations made in Orbus. That is a waste.

Then when the sandstorm happens, they immediately want you to hit things on the ground to get it gone. Which is another waste of the animation potential. Because it forces you to look away from the horizon and sky. Which both have the cool parts of the animation. I rather see something happen more upwards.

Then the boomarangs are weird… They are too chaotic. Too many. Too random. They give an affliction atack to a random player. Not the one making the mistake by getting hit by one. I feel like the boomarang is not the greatest mechanic. I would love to see something else. This boss seems more like it needs a charge or cone AoE mechanic kind of boss. Than a random boomarang chaos one.

we did do dragon on the 14. and his interrupts add more and more interrupts every sandstorm. by the third time it casts a charged gravity orb only covers a 1/4 of the bar. granted we had a scoundrel and rapidity ranger kill the orbs so it wasnt a problem, but its kinda a waste of dps when it should be interruptible.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a small bit about our experience with the Tothmaug fight in the middle of my admittedly long-winded post above lol. I don’t blame you for not noticing it/not reading the whole thing, I tend to type too much lmao.

I felt like the fight was alright, I mean we did manage to kill him, but I do see where you’re coming from. Boomerangs are definitely chaotic, and if you fail to interrupt Sand Storm too many times it becomes impossible to interrupt at a point like Sloth said ( sorta like Rage on Minotaur if you let too many orbs get away).

They give an affliction atack to a random player. Not the one making the mistake by getting hit by one.

Is that what’s happening? I knew something weird was going on bc I ran it unsharded with a different group yesterday and I swore I was getting Affliction stacks when I never even touched/got near a Boomerang. I don’t like that at all, if that’s the way it works. It should definitely be punishing the player who made the mistake of getting hit, not a random party member.

I still don’t think the fight was terrible, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it re-designed either. I agree that the animation of Sand Storm is really cool and it is kind of a waste the way we are encouraged to either break the orbs quickly to get out of it or to interrupt him to avoid it altogether.

Oh and back to Mordoken, the DoT debuff from Ooga phase does not ignore Lava Totem pulses and I feel like it should. Lava Totem is a staple of high-end Shaman builds, and it’s not like our Shamans can just despawn their totems at will or anything, so it’s really punishing for them. They can’t use Lava Totem at all or we risk a party wipe bc it will trigger the debuff. If that mechanic can ignore DoTs from other DPS classes/abilities, I think it should ignore the Lava Pulse too.

I wanted to quote myself here to bring up another issue I have with this mechanic. It seems that Musketeer bounce heals will also trigger the DoT debuff of this mechanic, even when bounced off of the adds or the Musketeer’s own turret, and I don’t think that should be the case either. Bounce healing is another staple of high-end Musketeer play, and I don’t think they should be punished in this way for trying to keep their team alive.