Patch 23.01- Plateau of Apophis

Not sure if it a fault of the musky but maybe a mechanics bugm As I had the debuf triger on me alone when 100% sure not hitting it on the wrong phase. But that was only once and didnt take the time to test this further.

How does the bounce heal mechanic work with respects to enemies within range of the bounce. Do they get a log line in the parse for 0 damage (-0 damage cause heal) and that’s how the boss dot is triggered?

been spam bouncing renew with a group and no fire stacks

Update:

Shaman frost and lava totem pulses should not trigger penalty on Chief Mordoken.
That is live in new dungeon instances.

8 Likes

I have also been doing some testing on this as well. Healing orb “bounces” only register on friendly entities. But another good way to confirm this (if you want) is before starting the fight, place your turret or another player close enough to the boss. Shoot your orb at your turret or other player and see if the bounce begins the fight. This is just to show that the bounce has no effect, specifically for triggering the penalty -The only time it would matter is if it was a direct hit.

1 Like

For the dragon boss I think it would be cool to make it once it reaches 50% health or something it then casts sand storm but it can’t be interrupted bringing you into like a new phase you would probably have to turn off the virus that comes with it but buff his attacks and introduce a new mechanic maybe like chaos lightning or something that takes away a certain percentage of all the players health if not interrupted but also deletes all the boomerangs making it high risk high reward and also solves the “to many boomerang” problem. Having different boss phases is always cool and it would be fun to look at the storm for much longer during the fight.

1 Like

Tested the boss a bit more. If you hit the boss at the very end of a Booga phase it can already register as an Oogy phase (if the next phase is Oogy). This is probably what is confusing alot of people thinking they didn’t hit it in the Oogy phase. So it probably needs a delayed mechanic switch, instead of other way around. Its doing the same with the stun/heal AeO. It already heals on 80% of the interrupt bar. Should be other way around. That only after the interrupt bar is done, should the boss check if it has been stunned on time.

2 Likes

weird, must have been something else that I wasn’t noticing, then…

Small tweak before the weekend:
Reduced damage over time from pool created by “Rattle” attack from Basilikos.

Planning on having another update next week with various improvements and changes based on the feedback we’ve received already.

3 Likes

@Jake_E So we figured out last night that on Tothmaug the number of boomerangs on the field increase the amount of interrupts it takes to handle the sandstorm castbar. the only problem I, you cant break the boomerangs without killing your team in the process. it would be nice for them to be able to be destroyed with damage, or make the affliction stack target the person hit with the boomerang, not the person the boomerang is locked onto. at least then it could be handled with a decurse mage or musky over healing the person running into boomerangs. but as it stand the boomerangs overrun the arena, and make sandstorm completely uninterruptable.

1 Like

It is similar with the bolts on the first boss. The player who gets hit by the bolt gets the affliction DoT, but it also kills the player who was initially targeted by it. I think it would be better if it only affects the person who gets hit, or at least change the visuals so it is more obvious why people die.

1 Like

There is also the way to get to the dungeon, like, a few steps before getting in, between the boulders. There is no way to get past if not skipping/hopping.

Not that it is a problem. Not at all.
It is just… well, just doesn’t make sense, as the space you have to walk around looks wider.

2 Likes

Speaking of where it’s at anyone else find it a bit funny that the portal appeared right next to the people who have been trying to make a portal for the past like 4 years. Now the msq makes less sense because why help them build the portal if there’s literally one 50 feet away!

3 Likes

And we’re back again with more things to point out from testing varying levels of Plateau dungeon shards!

First I want to say that it doesn’t seem like we’re having any problems so far with levels 1 through 6. We were able to sub-15 a level 5 and a 6 isn’t going to be that much different.

After the level 5, we moved on to a level 9 (big jump, but we’re working with what we have) and that’s the point where we ran into big issues. I’m just gonna list off the things we’ve noticed as bullet points, and some of this is just going to be a repeat from my earlier post about the 14 we attempted, but I feel like the points need to be reiterated based on our experience in the level 9.

• First and foremost, Mordoken seriously seems like he just has entirely too much health. Our best attempts, where we got the closest to killing him (I think the lowest we got him down to was about 20% of his HP) were all 5+ minutes. This was with one of the most capable & experienced groups that I run with, on a level 9 shard. The fight just seems to drag on unnecessarily long. I imagine a successful kill on a level 13-15 would take nearing on 10 minutes, and that’s 1/3rd of the time limit. No other dungeon boss takes this much time to kill. We all agreed that his health feels almost comparable to that of Hard Mode raid bosses, which feels pretty excessive for dungeons where we have a time limit.
  • It especially does not help that the boss’s heal from Oogly Boogly occurs early like half of the time, making it uninterruptible. That definitely needs to be fixed, and I’d have to recommend either nerfing his total HP or increasing the damage he receives during his down phase when the skull is open, the fight just feels entirely too long. We’ve also found that if the 4th rock is thrown during the interrupt cast bar, the entire damage phase is pointless as the boss only takes 1 damage from all sources. I understand if the heal still goes through in cases like this since we technically aren’t interrupting it, but we should still be able to take advantage of this damage phase. This is also not helping with the length of the fight.
  • The adds during Mordoken still don’t feel quite right either. They hit decently hard, but I think the bigger problem is that they are also fairly tanky much like the boss itself. I feel like they could use a nerf to their HP as well. We can try to adjust our method to see if we can manage them any better, but again this was only a level 9 with a highly capable group and the adds were still getting overwhelming at times.
  • The DoT circles that Mordoken spawns in after he gets below 50% HP hurt an insane amount, especially for Scoundrels running the True Gambler talent, which is the meta talent choice for end-game Scoundrel builds. I’d have to imagine I wouldn’t even be surviving a single tick from these in higher level shards, and that just seems too unforgiving. I was able to avoid this some of the time by spamming my teleport early, before the circles even spawned in, but that doesn’t exactly feel very reliable when he’s sometimes spawning 2 sets of circles on 5 different players all spread out in the arena. It sometimes felt like there was nowhere safe to jump to. Maybe we can work on our positioning, but it still seems really unforgiving, especially for a level 9.
  • Speaking of positioning, Mordoken seems to be moving around the arena randomly after a party wipe/reset, and this makes our approach to party positioning inconsistent as we have to base this off of wherever the boss decided to move to after a wipe occurs. If it could be made so that he always resets to his starting position, that would be very beneficial.
  • One last thing about Mordoken is that, if a party member dies during the fight, Chaos Bolts from Ooga/Booga that hit their body during the rest of the fight are still giving stacks to living party members. This makes it so that if a party member does die, the rest of the party has to consciously avoid being near their body in a fight that is already pretty movement-heavy and chaotic. I’m not sure if that’s intentional, but I don’t think that it should be. The bolts should only be punishing the player who gets hit by them, and they shouldn’t be punishing anyone if they’re hitting a dead body.
  • Moving on to Tothmaug (Boss 2), the only thing I really want to say about him is that we encountered an issue today where a Boomerang was invisible, and a party member died as a result. We were able to resurrect them, but this is something that shouldn’t have happened in the first place. There’s no way to dodge an invisible projectile, so that’s a particularly annoying problem that definitely needs to be fixed. Also, similarly to the last point & something I already mentioned in my earlier post, the Boomerangs should only be punishing the player who made the mistake of getting hit, but it seems that the affliction stack is just being applied to the player the Boomerang was meant for/who it was targeted on initially, and it isn’t those players’ fault if another party member runs into their Boomerang.

I know there’s supposed to be an update coming soon that will probably address some of these things, I just want to give as much feedback as I can so that we can highlight what we already know & bring any other issues we find to your attention as quickly as possible.

I want to stress that this is a VERY capable group. Like it’s one of, if not the most skilled & experienced groups of players that I run with. We have very high DPS & very experienced tanks & healers, and we’re struggling a lot on as low as a level 9 shard for this dungeon. I have to imagine it will be unbearable for less experienced/skilled groups. So take everything we’re saying with that in mind.

We’ll still be testing shards for Plateau as often as we get chances to, and I still want to wish the best of luck to any other parties who are doing the same! We can’t wait to see this dungeon in a manageable state so we can start having fun running shards for it with everyone else & sharing everything we’ve learned!

4 Likes

On this note heres our parse from Mordoken on a level 9. we did 12 Mil Health and he wasnt close to dead, maybe had a 1/3rd of health left, maybe more.

1 Like

I feel like this one shows it just as well. This was a 5 minute run and I belive this might have been the time where we got him to ~20% HP. Nearly 19 million damage dealt, 5 minutes, and no kill.

1 Like

i too think that the bosses are too hard

Maybe one of their experiments went wrong and the new portal was a consequence of that?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Patch 23.02 - Plateau of Apophis Tweaks

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.