Patch 4.75: Talents System, new VoiP, Fishing Gear -- Sprint Two!

The new VOIP seems to be a lot more sensitive and overall an improvement.

When will we be able to see the icons to see who has mic enabled and who does not? Is that a bug currently with the new VOIP?

The Mute option doesn’t seem to be working. Will there be a fix for that now that the new voip means much higher sensitivity with people’s mics in general as well as amplified range of hearing people further away?

It should be working as of yesterday unless you are on Beta, I will put out a patch with it working on there as well this morning.

Just to sprinkle in different mage input, I think it’s totally fine that you don’t spread other mages dots… it’s preferable for me for balance reasons. Also the suggestion for refreshing dots is probably insanely OP, just spamming or working in arcane blasts for days only casting a single affliction 2 - I wouldn’t do it lol. True Affliction is a god-tier talent as-is. I have heard complaints that the frost dot does more damage than the affliction 1 dot (haven’t verified). In general, the two spells that mages try to spread right now are just the frost dot & affliction 2(or 1). Fireball can be spread but it’s not super-worth it because of how short it lasts. On the other side of the coin, the fireball dot does more damage in a shorter time which is nice for single target dps so I’m not exactly complaining about that lol. Basically a +700 or 1400(crit) dmg boost between spammed fireballs. or 1400-2800 if you work in other spells. Or 2100-4200. You get the idea. This is in addition to your fireball which can do 4.5kish to 9kish damage, so 1 fireball can come in at like 13kish damage if you rotate.

The only thing that still drives me crazy is sharing affliction dots. Still rooting for increasing the cap to 1 per mage. Controlling your own dots is at least doable. The damage of affliction 2 is like 1-2 avg ice lances depending on crits, and it takes time for the damage to fill in so the DPS is spread out. In addition, affliction 1 is less damage than a fireball pretty much(spitballing the numbers), so that doesn’t break anything (why wait for your damage - unless you are True affliction spreading it). It’s also annoying just to know that someone can overwrite your spells with weaker ones (as a side effect). It would be a step forward to prevent that, and let the lesser spell take-over with it’s remaining duration once the greater spell has ended. However, to me, this would still not be the ideal solution.

You do understand that would be a dps loss on the boss. Arcane missiles only does 1,900 dmg. If you spam arcane missiles and nothing else, you are going to be losing dps. Arcane missiles is slightly a longer cast than t2 fireball and frost. If you were to time it correctly and use arcane missile before the last tick of affliction on a boss fight with no adds, you would do an increase of +900 dmg (affliction ticks for 1,000) every 5 seconds. And if you mistimed it where there were 2 ticks left, you would lose 100 dmg every 5 seconds. Hardly OP imo.

A single mage having some single-target DPS loss doesn’t equate “harder fight” or even “longer fight”. Add-control is important for bosses like Soul Keeper which True Affliction already trivializes. Also just to point it out, it can become a DPS increase against bosses/elites where you would normally have to focus on adds & you are spreading the dots to the boss/elite from the adds(instead of the opposite direction). Arcane Missile also barely takes any time at all to cast, clocking slightly above the cast time of a fireball 2.

Just to clarify I did put in “or working in arcane blasts(missles)”. For single-target situations with adds, it actually can further result in a DPS increase because you can focus less on casting affliction(a low initial damage spell) and instead be casting a fireball or ice lance for example. Then when the timer is about to reset, you simply refresh it with arcane missiles instead of affliction+arcane missiles. Doing this repeatedly only results in additional damage. Also with the triple-rune-type-cast +20% dmg buff, you could do frost+fire+arcane (the arcane getting the 20% dmg buff for aoe) without using affliction(something you’d want to cast before arcane missiles). This would let you easily get more ticks of fire dmg out, buffing your overall dmg and the arcane missile itself would be +20% dmg (not sure if the dot spread is affected by that buff, haven’t tested).

I think True Affliction is already god-tier. I wouldn’t mind playing around with arcane missile refreshing dots, but just thinking about it, it’s pretty clear how strong that would be. It would be a Quality of Life increase, but it also lowers the skill cap.

Most bosses do not have adds. The only boss this effects in TM is Soul Keeper. True affliction would not work well on other boss add fights in TM. True affliction is very situational. So 1 out of 8 bosses you would get a dps increase if you’re maximizing true affliction.

Not sure how this lowers the skill gap. I think it would be extremely difficult to time the arcane missile to land on the 12 tick every time for maximum dps.

Sorry if this has been reported else where already, but I think there are a couple of lingering warrior bugs.

• Shield health bars seem to occasionally disappear, and on a couple of occasions while switching from the big shield to small shield, I’ve had the shield health bar extend very far out (as if it was still displaying big shield health on the small shield health bar scale).
  • I think sword rush targeting is quite finicky now compared to pre-patch. I was having a very difficult time targeting mobs in the Desert Wilds and Lamavora last night. Sometimes the hit box to target was simply off and other times I couldn’t successfully target a mob at all.

Overall though, I’m very pleased with the Templar warrior talents. I haven’t tried the DPS warrior talents yet though.

1 Like

Runic Speed seems to only increase the t3 spells. Was this intended? I was hoping it would affect the t2 spells and arcane missile. If this was intended I like to suggest that it increase the speed of t2 spells and arcane missile by 10%.

Faster Arcane Missile scares me, PVP wise. Also, since I’m leveling runemage to be my fallback class, casting faster Arcane Missiles excites me.

lol. It shouldn’t scare you to much. Eventually you’ll figure out a strategy how to beat it as some rangers already have. You should just be happy that rangers can one shot mages:) I don’t think the devs are to concerned with PvP balance at this time, otherwise the musketeer wouldn’t of got all those buffs from talents. I think we are a little over a month away for seeing PvP balances.

I’m not saying it’s broken, but it’ll be a big buff for runemages in PVP.

Also, for all the hand wringing about PVP balance, it’s not all that bad. Rangers have a bit of leg up in ganks and musketeers need a nerf (halve musket self-healing?), but a practiced warrior or runemage can take some serious control of a duel/gank, even pre-talents.

Not sure why you think it would be a big buff. It would be a small buff in PvP that would really only help against a ranger in a certain situation. It’s a t3 talent. Rangers got +10% dmg buff. There is no damage from this. A BIG buff for a runemage would be if frost became an aoe, then everyone would have to watch out:)

I agree, but you have to consider the future as well.

You don’t need to perfectly time your arcane blast to refresh it, unless I’ve misunderstood, and you’re asking for it only to refresh on the very last tick. Otherwise, it becomes very easy to keep affliction up at all times on all mobs.

It increases most spells, I’ve tested it (on the first day). This includes Fireball 2 and Frost 2, unless a ninja patch came in and changed that.

For maximizing dps, it needs to be refreshed on the last tick otherwise you’re throwing away dmg, same when it gets spread thru adds (depending on their hp pool).

I hope you’re right. It was so noticeable with the t3 spells. I didn’t notice an increase of the t2 spells when I tested it solo and neither did other mages. I’ll have to retest this with a mage without the talent so we can do a side by side comparison.

It increases the speed of all Level 2 and Level 3 spells.

Is arcane missiles considered a t2 spell, since arcane ray would be t1?

Yes, Arcane Explosion is faster with the talent.

I also noticed some runes are changed while making my new set. While shooting just basic arrows, i can get the fastest timing rune only if i do 1 damage (over the speed cap), i used to get that rune just fine. Now another timing rune (that used to be slower) take that place, and i noticed a new timing rune that wasn’t there at all on my previous test pre-talents.

So before i waste time and mats on a new set, can you confirm it’s all working as it should?

EDIT: I PM’d you with more specific info about all the timing runes pre and post talent system patch.

Before I switched to Precision, the squiggle timing rune was the only rune I saw for any shot speed above 2 shots per second. Is/was there a rune for shot timings faster than this?

Again, I didn’t intentionally change anything, but the way the Artificing system works I’m not surprised if some things changed. It’s not like I sit down and decide ahead of time what rune sets are going to do what, it’s more of an emergent behavior from a complex system kind of thing.

I would say at this point you should be good to start working on new sets, any changes the talents have caused at this point should be locked in.