Please add a Long Term Dragon Racing Quest

Everything else has long terms, why not dragon racing?

Must do each race x number of times and complete each under a certain time. Since there are 14(?) races, maybe 20 races each?

As long as it’s not the level 29 speed for water slide… or nobody would ever get it. The level 23 time is doable.

Maybe the reward could include a unique type of dragon…

6 Likes

I mean, most of the leaderboard is times that would get gold on the level 29 mission, so it is possible. But I agree that that shouldn’t be the requirement for a possible long term dragon racing mission.

1 Like

Yes, when not even all the leaderboard times meet that requirement, it’s not realistic for the average player. Of course this is assuming the idea of long-terms is to encourage people to play, not drive them insane.

I have over 300 races under my belt and come within 1/2 second of the leaderboard on most races, but the best I’ve managed on Waterslide is 50 seconds, when the level 27/29 requirement is 46.

Regardless, I’d really love to see this long-term implemented. Dragon racing is something ignored by many, but it’s a great part of the game. The infrastructure is in place already, so it shouldn’t be difficult to implement.

while we’re at it why not a long term PVP quest too

5 Likes

That would be a really easy way to get more people into battlegrounds

Great idea!

Hi, thanks for the suggestions! I think both a dragon racing one and a pvp one would be fun.

The ones we added before were sort of a trial run to see how people would find the idea, so I think we can definitely add another batch in the future.

I can’t commit to when they might be but we’ll discuss it.

7 Likes

@Mathieu_D you’re a legend, thanks for this reply. Super excited to see what ideas the dev team has for long terms.

Can you also check the long term fishing quest? It’s one of the most challenging long terms for people to complete with its high capital investment for lures and massive weight requirement, and it has the lowest exp and dram reward of any long term quest. I think 50k dram and like 60k exp? Compared to the other quests that give 65k dram and 90k exp. the fish scent attractors offset the lack of dram reward but when you add up the cost of eye worms for the 100+ lures required to fish up enough sharks, And the fish scent attractors required to efficiently complete the quest, you don’t see a return on your investment unless you complete at least 3 fishing long terms at the same time.

3 Likes

I fully second lava’s point. In order to complete my first fishing mission, I took a loan of fish pots (from Lava XD) and once I completed mine I returned and then made more. You can theoretically grind for the lure ingredients and make the pots but that means it is definitely the most intensive mission comparitively. Esp since you have to fish the fish not in the locations you need (sunfish/ catfish in highsteppe) in order to make the pots to fish in the places you need (rf/ hulthines).

(With XP gear), 78K XP and 50K dram. Pretty sure next closest for XP is 97,500 XP for salvaging and the next closest for dram is 65k dram for critter capture. (note I turned them in here for verification: OrbusVR Long Term Missions Rewards - YouTube and have since been told Darius XP is like 110k xp like the others)

1 Like

Although I personally hate dragon racing, this sounds like an interesting idea.

1 Like

Me too man, i still havent gotten bronze on the second dragon race :joy: some people got it, some people dont i guess

1 Like

I honestly agree here. I don’t like dragon racing, because getting good times means not actually doing the tracks (or as little of them as possible) which i feel defeats the purpose. Here’s a good example:

In my opinion they should be reworked.

1 Like

But that’s the challenging part - aside from YouTube - finding the fastest routes and timings and managing to do them consistently. If you just had to hit every triangle, that would be really dull.

The only thing I would change is to make the leaderboards seasonal, so current players have a chance to make their mark, and glitched times get cleared periodically (yes, there are some obvious glitch records up there). It would also add continuing interest to the sport once the reputation limit has been reached.

Sure, lots of people aren’t into it, but that’s why they have different types of activities. Those of us who are, love it.

Changing the routes periodically on the races may add interest also. That way it’s not just one time memorize and done forever. Or randomize them on load!

Sure, it may be challenging to find the best “cheats”. Why do i say cheats? Because, if it was any other race type, going outside a course would mean disqualification.

There are plenty of race sports (real as well as imaginary) which manage to put lots of skill into a good race time, without allowing to go off track.

The main problem as i see it here (once again) is that the rules are not immediately apparent, especially to new players. Which in turn means that if they are not told by word of mouth (and probably early at that), they will start off with a bad experience already on the second - maybe even the first - dragon race.

This is a problem that is common for many mechanics in Orbus. And while this caters to old players knowing all the tricks of the trade (or are aware that hidden mechanics exist in many aspects), it is very likely to be a negative experience for new players.

If Orbus ever wants to succeed as an mmorpg, in other words have a playerbase that grows rather than stays around the 50-250 online at a time, it needs to rework a few things like:

• bugs first and foremost (connection and desync issues)

• transparency in mechanics

• better UI in many cases (a simple example is hit traces activating multiple colliders, like opening the world map while activating other UI elements if it lines up, but there are many quirks as most know)

The dragon races are just one of many examples where the mechanics are deceiving, which is why i think they should be reworked.

I think having both a seasonal and nonseasonal leaderboard would be cool. I do think the devs should remove the times achieved due to bugs that have been patched though.

2 Likes

Some of the races (Waterfall comes to mind) really do feel to me personally to have an element of luck embedded into them… but I haven’t put much effort into the dragon racing and it could be some nuance that I just haven’t found…
I do find some of them enjoyable, but I really think of them more as puzzles than races… there is just so much trial and error even in the early races that I don’t think innate “skill” will ever take you as far as experimenting with the routes and which triangles to skip…
It is a nice addition to the game and I would rather have them than not have them tho.

2 Likes

Orbus Armory tracks All-Time and Seasonal leaderboards for Dragon Racing.
Home>Menu>Individual> then choose whatever season you want for whichever category you want.

That’s just for number of races run, not fastest times.

1 Like

Relatable.