Potion aging making the worst day of your life even worse

It’s not a theory, as others have said, you could see in the market what the demand was for aging pots by how many potions were sold and the current price.

The theory I was talking about was Riley’s proposed shortage, not aging/rarity.
I’m not saying aging doesn’t affect the game or the market, it definitely does. I am asking what aging brings to the game that is BENEFICIAL to the game. Do people think using tedious time-gating to inflate prices is fun and interesting?

You can say that about almost anything in games. What’s fun for some people isn’t fun for others. It adds depth to the game and that’s a positive thing.

Perhaps, but this is the only part of the game which is tied to real-time, rather than time invested in actually playing the game.

I kind of wish all potions gave the same values and “aged” potions wouldn’t give more stats, but a chance for the potion to not be consumed, or even increased duration.

Dragon breeding also has to do with real time
Also that little mechanic of shard and raids having dailys/weekly that are in real time

1 Like

Oh right, dragon breeding exists.

The conversation is getting a bit far from the original point, so I’ll summarize my issue:
The entire point of games is that they are interactive; driven by gameplay. Waiting real time and doing nothing is not gameplay, there is no interaction. Daily/weekly lockouts and quests are ok because they provide gameplay while preventing burnout. Gaining power (dram/potion strength) by just waiting time is a non-mechanic. I would much rather ‘aging’ potions have an actual gameplay element.

eg. One type of potion is ‘aged’ by taking it to a dangerous area and dipping it into the fires of Mount Doom.
Or perhaps some sort of alchemy/chemistry minigame which ‘ages’ potions if done correctly.

These are rough ideas, but they make empowering potions actual gameplay.

1 Like

I like potion aging, and I think there’s a fun, middle-road solution. Instead of producing ruined potions when overaged, produce “Overaged” potions that have the same effect as unaged potions, and can’t be aged again. You don’t lose anything but the aging in that case.

Edit: if we’re looking at opening up aged potions to a wider demographic as well, a dropped item that “ages” (despawns after 12-24 hours) anywhere but can be used to instantly age a small number of potions could also be neat.

I’ve thought that bringing back aberrations as late/end-game content would be neat and giving them an economy drop like that would be fun. If you’re feeling generous, since they’d be in the overworld, giving PVP folk a slight bump on the drop rate would be fun, but I’m just dreaming now.

3 Likes

Thing is with Dragon breeding it doesn’t matter how long you leave them, you won’t come back to a ruined Dragon. I agree I have cane back to ruined potions before too, do to real life stuff e.g… work exc. I thing the window needs to be longer, there should be a timmer on them, and I like the idea of being able to age them in the fellowship hall. I also was really hoping that with reborn we would be able to invite people into our player homes. For what ever maybe to trade to show off or even grab a spot of tea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what about ‘poorly aged’ potions that have 75% of the capability of a ‘finely aged’ one, but still better than not aging.

wow seriously that sounds great i mean ya extending the window would sure enough fix problems of lets say a 16 hour work day or even a good deal of circumstances like mine.

1 Like

not in the same way tho for instance i was at the hospital for a little over day and anything that would take a week outta your life isn’t something that can be fixed however even if i missed a week and didn’t do raids that doesn’t ruin the raids or cost me resorces. your arguing points that arn’t relevant to this certain complaint

Unaged potions are worthless. In the old game potions were made to cope with high level shards (in the new game they will be used for pvp as well), 95% of players using potions at all need aged. Unaged were nearly un-sellable even in the old game because nobody needed these, if they were bought then by players aging them (and in the new game those will be even more irrelevant since everyone leveling gets em as drops).
I would even delete my unaged fishing potions if it wouldn’t age, instead of using it up, it’s just too tedious fishing without aged.

if it were changed to having both unaged and aged have the same effect and have the unaged pots last half as long as the aged ones like @sean_d said. then there could be a maket for overaged pots and unaged pots.

2 Likes