Quest 2 resolution

Hi folks.

I was playing around with sidequest the other day and tested out different texture sizes. I’m not sure what resolution OrbusVR plays on with quest 2 as default, but I tested with the highest available (3072x3380) and it ran amazingly well. Insainly crisp and no stutter (in town). Also tested 2048x2253. Really crisp and smooth.

Is there a reason the game is run on such a low resolution as default? Any plans for adding option to set res in graphics menu?

Guessing the reason is because of framedrops in some scenarios.

Thanks.

1 Like

Are you changing the texture resolution or the render resolution? Or are they the same on sidequest with a misleading name?

If texture resolution is what it says it is then all you are doing is improving the texture’s resolution which, while it can do a hit to your performance, it is nothing close to render resolution. The next question is are you playing quest 2 standalone or through link to PC (cable or air does not matter)? I looked up the default render resolution and it is 1832x1920 per eye. 1.5x multiplying per dimension would render at 2748x2,880 per eye which is equivalent to me cranking up my index’s resolution per eye by ~1.32x per dimension my pc can handle fairly well.

Either you have an abnormally beefy quest 2 that can push those kinds of ludicrous resolutions, are using link, or its just adjusting the texture’s resolution and not the render resolution.

You can tell if its texture resolution by looking for aliasing on edges and if it does not change between default and the higher settings you described then it is only affect the textures and not the render resolution.

It says texture resolution in sidequest tools. So I’m guessing that is correct. I am talking about the game running native from Q2. The default quest 2 res is 1440x1584 running standalone by the way. Running via air/link I can run it at about 1.5x SS, but its the link that bottlenecks. Can run it at 2.0+ SS using my Vive Cosmos HMD. The game is really not that demanding to run in VR.

I saw a video on this subject a couple days ago. The difference is significant. If the headset is able to run this (as it seems it can). I would love to see the option be made available in experimental features on Oculus.

As I understand it, currently if you change the resolution via Sidequest, it only stays active until the headset is rebooted and needs to be set again if that happens.

So then yeah it only affects textures. My guess is VRAM limitations on the quests to make them not have much chance of going over. My game can hit 5-7 gb VRAM on PC so I would imagine that it is so low for VRAM and performance optimizations on the quests. Most likely it is remnant from the quest 1 graphics for texture resolution and was not changed for quest 2 or the textures are just plain low res. Default texture resolution for most models on the PC version are 2048 x 2048 textures so on quest it is likely lower.

Really should be both an oculus experimental feature and a steamVR feature (if it is not already)

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.