Question to Vive Users

I tried my brothers’ HTC Vive the other day as opposed to my Oculus. I noticed when you use something like “strafe-left, rotate right” and you hold a wand in your right hand, that you can’t turn anymore using your right hand. However, swords were fine (didn’t try bows or gun). This creates some serious issues overall, netting you an actual loss in mobility due to requiring your off hand to include turning instead of strafing.

He said he had the same issue in Pavlov VR as well while holding a gun, so it appears to be a Vive thing. Anyone else have this issue? How did you resolve it?

I just accepted it as a feature since (wand in right) spell activation would rotate you :crazy_face:

I use teleport only, so idk if these will help. But I’ve seen these before: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7sw1xd/3d_printed_thumbstick_for_the_htc_vive_controller/

1 Like

You’re right… hadn’t thought about that. Idk why Steam is obsessed with those touch pads.

One option could be either Steam allowing the buttons to be remapped? Or some other way…

Or,

Orbus team could allow remapping to use one of the buttons. Not sure how feasible that is(SteamVr might have priority over the buttons), but being forced to choose between rotating or strafing is horrifically bad.

Because the touchpad is used to activate spells it doesn’t work for locomotion

It was a design choice by the devs. Just gotta put your wand away and rotate if you don’t wanna physically do it yourself :stuck_out_tongue:

So some of the parts in the steam controller are also used in the Vive controller, so that probably reduced cost. Considering that the knuckle controllers do not use the same stuff as the current Vive controller, they probably realized that the touch pads just isn’t at a point where its worth further investment, at least until they can improve the precision vs cost to produce.

Its insane how the HTC Vive controller is twice the cost of a rift controller and has the touchpad issue.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.