Questions for old game players

What do you think was better new game or old game why what made either one better
Thanks
Krigia

I remember the old world as being prettier visually (more vegetation like grass and flowers, tree density etc), being much much larger and far more diverse and exciting to explore. Also, there was incentive to group up in the outside world at later class levels.

However, i might have rose tinted glasses on, hence the “good old times” expression which isn’t always actually true.

That said, i also feel like xp and drops were much harder to come by back then compared to now. This isn’t necesarily neither good or bad though.

Anyway, that is how i remember it. But again, memories and what actually was isn’t always the same :slight_smile:

Edit:
Now that i’ve been thinking about it a bit after the initial post, i think i miss the old world building the most. Everything else has probably improved in reborn.

Experiencing the world for the first time felt much more like exploration (and often dangerously so), whereas reborns world feels much more linear and bland.

Once again though, memory vs actuality… Kinda like when i think back on experiencing EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot the very first time versus playing the originals on private servers many years after. Some things still feel the same “awesome”, while other things were just because it was a first-experience kind of thing.

terrain: old
community: new
mechanics: old
classes: new
armor: old
challenge: old
leveling and missions: new
fishing armor: old obv

2 Likes

Old Orbus had its ups and downs just like new orbus does. There are things in old Orbus that I liked.
player housing (I liked being able to set my home in different locations)
Dungeons (Im not saying the new dungeons are bad, I just like that you had to travel to the old ones)
Trickster (I enjoyed the massive fight we had on the hill going for the token. Im not a big fan of the hide and seak version)
Zones ( I enjoyed the zone changes such as the frosted spit or the desert or even the hidden area to get to the raid(cant remember the name; necro poler?) made the zones feel a bit more lively.)

With that said though, there are also a lot of things I like about new orbus.
Classes (there is more to pick from than before, it’s nice to have the different classes running around. #playwarrior)
Raids (I do miss the old raid, but I like that we have more raids to do in new Orbus.)
Mobs (At the release of new Orbus, I would never give mobs to them, but the mob diversity has gotten a lot better since release)
PVP (As much as it gets picked on, the PVP in new orbus is way better).

Overall, I can’t say I like one better than the other because they feel like different games (IMO).

I think the devs and the community are doing a fantastic job making this game the best it can be. There is one thing the new game is missing though and it makes the game almost unplayable. (#bringbackoldfishinggear)

4 Likes

Like people above have said its really variable and the two games do things and are better or worse in some aspects.

• Map (Where you can go): 100% Oldgame

• My reason is that the world was much more varied with different quests that I felt compelled me better than reborn. Ex: Reborn does not have a snow, ice, or desert biome. All of the cool little landmarks like the temples are gone and replaced with wide empty fields, wilds zones were removed
    • (still have fond memories of a guild PvP event I was in getting interrupted by Laughing Coffin unexpectedly and we geared up to go fight them for a while, I believe Gundrakk was there if I remember right),
    • and small details like the villages, other towns/cities, and landmarks were removed
    • also the airship that took you around the world was great, slower than walking without a mount but still a great part of the game I miss
  • Dungeons: Oldgame

• As said above you had to travel OUTSIDE highsteppe for each dungeon and the further you went the harder that dungeon was
    • Still have fond memories of going through the waterfall in lamavora as a level 15-16 and saying, “Nope this looks like an endgame area”. As it was the hub of the tradu dungeons I was correct in that and I really miss this exploration.
  • Combat: Mixed

• The reason I am mixed on combat is that oldgame had better and more diverse enemy models making the game feel more alive and had less bugs in combat while reborn has 4 more classes and reworked talents.
  • Leveling: 100% Oldgame

• In oldgame there were no repeatable missions and as such a player had to grind up their class to max level. For some its a con but for me I loved it as it truly meant that you could not have someone at max level for their class and not know the basics of a class.
  • Community: Reborn

• Reborn just has many more players even if due to the demo and quest it can be flooded with more unsavory peoples. There are more players in endgame and more competition there so I like reborn for this more.
  • PvP: Mixed

• I am not a PvP player so take my word with a grain of salt but oldgame was definitely more balanced in pvp what with spells being where the are on the screen, no absolutely broken classes (besides maybe musky), and a free for all style battleground, and there were potion resources locked behind PvP keeping the price of those potions higher due to how hard those mats were to get.
    • However Reborn gives better incentives to do PvP with actual rewards in PvE for doing battlegrounds, trickster goblin moving around (although I do think the trickster chest should be brought back and spawn in the same location every time to cause the massive trickster token battles of oldgame), Battleground ranking, titles to brag with.
    • Neither system was perfect but both are equal in my eyes that I cannot decide.
  • Economy: 100% Oldgame

• Economy was not grossly inflated like reborn
    • 2 - 4 players could not own more than 50% of the player stalls and one guild could not control all the stalls (it was regulated to 1 stall per guild in the betting
    • Items were actually rare, reagents could actually be used a currency due them being a rarer drop and went for anywhere from 100-300 oldgame dram each (They also could teleport to any pillar in the game with the teleport ritual)
    • Items locked behind wilds world PvP introduced risk to getting those items. (Both Fish and Plants)
    • Daily crates did not oversupply half the materials in the game and the rarer ones for potions like Int and Strikes were locked behind PvP further driving up the demand and price
    • The only way to generate more dram was to sell to the apprentice smith, 2500 dram could not be added daily per player to the economy for capturing like 40 mice and getting dram (literal mission from scavenging) like what happens with daily missions unless everyone had a surplus of items to sell every day.
3 Likes

I just remembered i recorded a video of an invisible wall bug for the devs in pre-born back in 2018 in the ice biome.

So for those that didn’t experience the old version you can see a bit of it here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.