Reasonable banhammer

They 100% have and will keep doing so.

4 Likes

Harassment can be a serious issue that can lead to depression in the victim. Depressed people can end up doing things that they would regret if they were in a better mental state.

Digital harassment is no different from harassment from someone you can see in that sense except the harasser feels safe behind a wall of anonymity and doesnā€™t have to see the consequences if anything happens to the victim. Thus, online harassment is easier on the harasser.

There may even be cases where the harasser doesnā€™t believe their actions to be harassment while causing extreme distress for the victim. One personā€™s values are not necessarily anotherā€™s.

For example, Iā€™ve seen people who have done some very self-destructive actions as a result of harassment or other forms of abuse. That is why I am very much against any form of harassment - you never know what can cause someone to do something that would cause you to never be able to talk with them again.

Some people donā€™t even know how to ask others to stop (Yes, these people exist) and some people refuse to stop when asked. Iā€™m looking at certain people who like to talk about very inappropriate things in dungeons as prime examples of not stopping when asked.

Saying that the harassers went too far may be too late once something happens. That is why I take harassment seriously, personally. I donā€™t care if I see a few people cornering a victim, then go pulling a knife on the victim. Iā€™m going to take action because if I didnā€™t and something happened to the victim, Iā€™d regret it. Unlike the 17 other people there that just pretended to not notice or watched/filmed (Actual event. There was also a similar event where nobody did anything and the victim died, so I stand by interfering even if it caused those 17 people an inconvenience when the authorities arrived). I donā€™t care if I see a bunch of people harassing a single victim online, Iā€™m going to try to step in as much as I reasonably can.

What some people might not view as harassment might be harassment to the victim. It might even be harassment for those who are just bystanders.

I dunnoā€¦

I just think bullies suck, and it is hard for me to understand how they can feel wronged by an action taken to prevent them from ruining activities\experiences for others.

If I did or said something dumb my attitude would be more about apologizing and expressing that I understand why what I did was disruptive, promising not to do it again and asking for another chanceā€¦

The idea that some nuance of milieu or point of esoteric interpretation would somehow excuse the behavior fascinates me. I would really like to know the logic behind that leapā€¦ tho I freely admit it is doubtful that I might be swayedā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m not going to go into the specific details of how we enforce our Code of Conduct, as there are so many factors in how we decide to act and how severely, and once you give an example people can give 50 counterexamples or name players theyā€™d like to suffer the same fate.

Weā€™re not looking to have a debate over this. What I will say is no one in my experience has ever griefed something like a world boss event, or repeatedly griefed players in game without also having a history of violating the CoC in other ways, like harassing other players. It always goes hand in hand.

If you have any concerns about how warnings or suspensions are handed out you can feel free to PM me, just keep in mind I cannot discuss specific actions with specific players. We always follow-up with the players in question via emails as well, with the reasons behind the action, so the players involved should not be left in the dark. Thanks!

9 Likes