Reborn PvP balance

I’ve been holding on starting this thread until the final beta to see the balance changes and play a few days to test them, so here’s my first post about mechanics and some abilities.

First off: invisible attacks like shaman spells, paladin’s hammer throw, bard’s baton throw need to be visible to every player so they can not only dodge them, but have a better understanding of what’s happening to plan strategies and whatever.

Another major issue is that guaranteed attacks and huge AoEs totally break the balance of the classes, they should either be dodgeable or do little to no damage in PvP (sword rush is a good example).
Here’s a list of attacks that in my opinion need a change:

• Arcane Missile: you can full teleport away and still get hit, also the fact that can be easily spammed made it the ultimate pvp weapon for mages. I think no aoe should have a higher range than half a teleport in order to have some chance of dodging it.
  • Hammer of Retribution: it’s a guaranteed hit like the sword rush but unlike the latter, it does so much damage. My suggestion is to make it so when you press the trigger it starts a small aoe on the target’s position (with visual clue for the target like the bosses aoe) and after a second it will deal damage if the player didn’t move away.
  • Bard’s passive attacks: my understanding is that if the bard hits you once, he will start dealing you passive damage from a max range of 25m. This likely needs a range nerf against players only (so it doesn’t affect pve).
  • Scoundrel’s super: i honestly haven’t fought a scoundrel with its super yet, but it sounds way too OP considering scoundrel is a high-dps class and if all their shots would hit you (especially with fire/poison cards AND charged shot) i wouldn’t imagine having a little chance to survive.
  • Scoundrel’s cards mechanic: Imagine if the rangers didn’t waste their piercing/poison when they miss… exactly, it would be completely broken. At the same way, the scoundrels should waste their current card if they miss the next shot. Right now the cards affects the next shot that hits the enemy but this way you can equip a fire or poison card and start spamming shots at the enemy until you finally hit them to deal a lot of damage and there’s not much they can do since they certainly can’t dodge forever.

Paladin OP!
I did a lot of battlegrounds so far and the ultimate weapon that pretty much everyone agreed on is the paladin. They take half the damage, they deal a lot of damage (Kamina was usually the one with the most damage, when a tank consistently achieves it there’s definitely a problem), they can FULL heal and if that wasn’t enough they also have invisible and guaranteed attacks (listed above).
Whenever there was a team with a paladin and a team without one, it was pretty obvious which one would win (unless that paladin is relatevely new to the class and not aware of its abilities).

2 Likes

All nice and good for pvp but for pve that is not an option. Unlike the ranger the scoundrel needs to do curved shots which are pretty hard to do and the chance of missing them is high, you would constantly be out of cards if the misses play a role.
Same with other nerfs they should be restricted to bgs if they severely affect pve mechanics and can’t be restricted to players-only.

Agree with everything else except this. The damage of harm orb’s tick comes from how filled a bard’s ‘musical bar’ is (I don’t know what it’s called ._.). And the bar being filled depends on if you played your notes. Most classes are able to oneshot you and out dps you if they can hit their shots (Ranger, Mage, Scoundrel, even Paladin). This means that for a bard to kill a decent player, they have to get close to hit their enemy with a baton (to initiate damage), dodge (to not die), and play notes all at the same time (to build up their bar) if they even want to think about killing a dps. And a paladin? You can kiss that fantasy goodbye because with their healing you aren’t going to be killing any paladins solo (and maybe not even with a party either if their class is broken enough…by the way it is). The range is not a problem either because I have to get close to initiate damage with you and the range was already halved in the past and I can definitely feel those nerfs (when I get a decent ways away from someone I will still be in combat but be dealing no damage cause of it).

That’s all I had to rant about :blush:

You don’t have to curve every shot, just curve a basic shot and once you get the buff you use a card on a straight shot so you’re not going to miss…

1 Like

I played the scoundrel to 30, curving every shot would be silly, but in endgame you will plan in advance, not only pick a random card but burn another to buff, use your stored etc., possibly wait a while for the perfect combo in a situation and if every time you got more complicated - or any - buffs prepared you can’t do curved because a miss would ruin all, this is a pretty obvious restriction nobody wants to have in dungeons.

While leveling the curve is pretty good for pulling, also right before pulling there’s time to add buffs; if it’s an either or, like, I can only buff midst-fight but not to pull, well, a good deal of the scoundrel-mechanics would fall.

Pretty much agree with everything here on balance. Paladin is very OP. Lack of seeing thrown hammer is annoying, the ranged lightning attack for paladin is a bit strong and most of the time it doesn’t work the same way. I either have to aim at the floor at their feet to hit them or up towards their face. I do like the attack though. It’s fun but needs some tweaking.

Please fix the invisible attacks. As others have mentioned you cannot see mage spells, shaman spells, paladins hammer throw, and bards baton throw. Players need more health in PvP to make the fights last a little longer. Right now anyone can get a lucky shot and the match is over in a second.

Paladin: Way OP as it currently is right now. They can take a lot of dmg, heal, do a lot of melee and range damage, teleport around the battlefield with no cd, and take a lot of hits. Without affecting them in PvE, the only thing I can think of is do reduce their dmg by half when attacking players. I second Shiki’s suggestion for the small aoe position for the hammer throw.

Mage: Using triplicity and arcane missile spam is pretty unbalanced. I can wipe anyone very quickly. It is fun but way OP as it stands. It also doesn’t take a lot of skill. I shouldn’t be able to just spam one spell and kill everyone. I suggest that arcane missile needs a diminishing returns effects against players or players should become immune to arcane missiles for 10 seconds after they have been hit with 2 in a 5 second span. DoT’s should still be able to spread if they are immune to the missile dmg.

Ranger: None of the classes should be able to 1-shot a class. A ranger can still one shot. There dmg for a pierced charging needs to be nerfed so you cannot 1-shot a player.

Bard: As Shiki mentioned, probably needs a small nerf to the automatic dmg to players.

Scoundrel: Never had any problems fighting a scoundrel, seem easy to kill.

Shaman: Not enough data

Warrior: Probably fine as is

Musket: Seems fine.

1 Like

Although some might disagree, I think paladin needs Diminishing Returns on hammer teleport in PvP. This could be reset after each death, but I’d like to hear thoughts on this from others who have extensively played Paladin throughout the betas.

1 Like

I kind of want a hard-pvp option where you set your level scaling to be at -4 compared to all other players and monsters.