Server-Side Patch 4.81

Don’t forget ranger can shoot while moving quite easily. Mages can’t draw spells while moving and can have a terrible time hitting targets around all the other team mates in the way, or aiming their spell while moving.

1 Like

You haven’t even touched the new DoTs that mages get for Fire and Frost… and it’s obvious that Ranger cooldowns limit their DPS output compared to mages that can cast whatever they want as fast as they can draw.

But still, the DPS of a mage relies on how quickly they can cast spells, and how consistent they are.

My data is limited regarding damage values for mage. I have the gear for it so I’ll test tonight, but my draw speed isn’t as fast as the top mages in the game, so my DPS will be skewed to my skill level. Regardless, I’ll drum up a data sheet and try to come up with base numbers to compare with the base numbers I have for Precision Ranger.

1 Like

I play both and switch between them depending on the fight and group composition.

I agree with Kamina that sometimes, the output of ranger damage can be lower than rune mages for fights where the movement is limited for ranged dps however there are some fights where rangers have a significant advantage.

Situational examples;
Worm boss; rangers have an advantage as they can dps the whole fight uninterrupted if you have a runemage killing worms for example.

Sentry; runemage has an advantage due to the sentry mechanic of moving torwards a given player.

Squiddie; due to the boss always moving, you have a chance of messing up your spells as a runemage and a higher chance of missing due to a moving target (similarly we can say something similar for mushroom boss).

Tank keeper; rangers have a burst damage advantage for tanks (although rune mages also have ways to gain a damage boost on tanks if they know how to use it).

Soulkeeper; runemages have an aoe advantage but a ranger can also do enough dps to handle adds even with single target if they try.

Mistkeeper; Rangers have an advantage at hitting balls.

Potionkeeper; Runemages have an advantage with dots but rangers also have the ability to hit the boss from a distance whilst dodging AoE.

There are plenty more examples I guess…

Nethertheless… I havent theorycrafted damage against a target dummy for each for a tank and spank fight like Sanyael.

4 Likes

Always nice to get some real-world feedback on the fights themselves, thanks for that.

Hitting target dummies is one thing, and that’s valuable data to some degree, but as you note that differences between the two classes extend beyond just “who can do the most damage in the next 10 seconds standings till attacking a non-moving target with no mechanics.” We do design fights to be challenging to different classes and play styles and that’s something that does have to be taken into account when you consider the class balance.

As always balancing the combat mechanics of the game is a difficult task and we appreciate well thought out, constructive feedback on it.

3 Likes

But isn’t the reverse true? If a Ranger is killing the worms, Runemages can dps the whole fight uninterrupted.

I assume this to mean that the Runemage doesn’t lose any damage based on distance to target?

I think this is a stretch since runemages can control where their spells are going unlike a ranger who has to lead the boss. I’d say if the boss is moving around the ranger is more likely to miss unless they can fire ahead of the boss. And then if the boss is moving in a line, the ranger can stand behind a boss and not have to deal with movement. The runemage can stand in front and not have to deal with trajectory.

I think both classes have valid burst for tanks and neither have a real advantage other than pure DPS output during this time.

Adds aside, I feel like rangers have issues generating globes without standing towards the edges of the platform and hoping the boss appears on someone other than them so they can generate max damage.

I think runemages can hit the balls just as well as rangers.

Rather than focus on dealing damage while you are trying to dodge AOEs, I think an issue with this fight for rangers is that to get globes they need to:

1. Run away from the boss after the AOE phase ends
  2. Stand in areas that are a little harder to deal with AOE wise
  3. May have issues reaching the box if they are still on the edge of the room depending on where the boss is being tanked

Both classes have advantages and disadvantages that much is true. Are rangers supposed to deal the same amount of damage as Runemages all other things equal?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.