Spell casting tips and tricks?

So I am new to the game and I saw that there was a spell caster class and that sounded cool as hell. I get into the game and it learn the basic runes at the spawn town and I get casting… and… it doesnt go too well at first. I CAN cast fireball 2 at an ok rate for a level 4 but all other spells are a pretty much no go. Then I go on youtube to look up tips and I try a few ones (mostly the “D” one where you spam fire and frost). That doesnt work either. Im not gonna come here and say that the system is bad because it obviously isnt with level 30 mages spamming fireball at like 3/s. My hardware I use is here if that is useful:

• HTC Vive (roomscale)
  • HTC Lighthouse sensor (x2)
  • Valve index controllers
    I sometimes get really bad tracking with my hands and am thinking about buying a valve index but for now I got the vive. I also got a pretty shaky hand so I dont draw too neatly. Can anyone tell me some tips on spell casting accuracy and speed?

You’re just going to have to keep practicing it until it feels more natural. The D method requires a pretty specific shape for it to actually work which makes it one of the harder shortcuts to learn (especially for a level 4). The core of what everyone will tell you is to practice, but you should also keep in mind where you are looking because the spells will only work if they are drawn in your FOV (field of view). Also keep in mind that your spells are being drawn in a 3d space and must be drawn 2d (flat) for them to work (besides the spells with a non-2d component).

You should be able to find some useful information in this video and in the description. Just remember to keep practicing.

2 Likes

I think thats the problem, I draw my spells 3d-ish when they should be totally 2D.

1 Like

Pretty much what Sift said. It’s 100% practice, practice, practice. The shortcuts are much harder than the actual spell.

Tips:
1: Practice slowly. Get the shape down until you can cast it perfectly with like, 99% success rate going slow.
II: Speed up SLIGHTLY. Like, just barely. So you keep most of the muscle memory, but start going a tad bit faster
Three: Go out and fight something with that slow speed. You’ll probably pop spells. Why? Pressure. When you get a mob in your face, you’re going to go into panic mode and miss. That’s fine, it comes with practice
Last: Once you get it to where you can kill mobs without popping spells, THEN think about the shortcuts. You’re going to feel like you’re starting from scratch again. That’s perfectly normal. The shortcuts are basically exploiting the detection system, and the system is not designed to detect the D or 0 being used by end-game mages.

It will take hours and hours to get it down. I suggest practicing in Highsteppe and leveling another class for dungeons and combat until you get the hang of it.

Thanks Sift , I was planning on Making one of these videos myself , thank you for sharing - Im going to include a link in my 101 channel <3 =)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.