The new fishing mechanics need adjustments

Considering nobody has strength when they start to fish, and strength was added to many fish types, could that also play into it? You said that minnows and sunfish have 0 strength, but what about Eels and catfish, ridgebacks, snails ,etc?

If STR only affects how frequently it jerks, something else is affecting reel speed because the reeling is definitely slower, STR being a factor or not.

Like I said, some fishermen were using STR potions to reel in fish faster.

Another thing regarding the red line cooling down slower is that I used to be able to keep my hand on the reel and hold it there while the line cools off. Now, I notice that the micro movements from holding the reel actively will interfere with the cooldown on the line, making it so that I have to fully release. While this is a minor point, it also adds up to just things making fishing harder. It’s like the mechanics checks to see if there is any movement at all on the reel before counting down to allow the line to cool off.

If it is taking more time for the line to turn white from red, by the delay “when the line begins to turn back from red to white” there is an increase chance that the fish will move away.

Now if fishermen cast their lines far out, getting a catch from afar would be more tiresome. Wondering the amount of times that someone stops reeling in their fish.

On a side note doesn’t the fish moving away also cause the line to turn red? If this is the case then the line might actually be turning red faster because now it is more often that these two will get stacked upon each other.

A slight suggestion if any of this is the case is to make it easier to reel in fish when they are far away and to make it more difficult as the fish approaches. How much harder than it is now is a different question.

The reel speed and how fast it turns red are not affected by STR of the fish or the fisherman.

However, if it is jerking less often, then that means it is less likely to move farther away from shore when you have to pause to let the line go back to white, so it makes sense that STR would make it easier to reel them in “faster” from that perspective (and that’s how it’s supposed to work). I’m just being clear that the reel speed itself and how fast the line turns red or turns white is always the same…again, probably just a perception thing. If it seems easier it’s natural that it might seem like the line redness is the root cause even if it’s not really.

The reason why its not a perception is because while maybe nothing has changed code wise, the hours that some players have spent fishing before the patch and after, its just super obvious to people who have spent some amount of fishing before the patch.

Maybe in a month people will be used to the “new” slower fishing, but right now any experienced fisherman can easily tell the difference.

1 Like

I have to say thank you for responding to our questions =D

I don’t mean to argue just curious how it works, it is also late for you and at the moment you don’t get anything in return for staying on forums besides player love and loyalty.

Supposing that the fishermen don’t have STR armor. The fish have the same chances as jerking as before the patch. However there is a delay in the reel turning white from red so fishing would take longer. This is fine if it add 10-20 seconds more per fish I guess.

My question is does the fish jerking, moving away, make the line red? And are the chances of the fish to jerk away higher when not reeling as opposed to reeling?

If yes to the first question I wonder if what players are experiencing is a double stacking of the red line. For example the fishermen letting the line turn white and while that is happening the fish begins to move away and the fishermen at the same time reeling it in. This would mean that it is turning red from both the fish moving away and because of the reeling. This would end up causing a feedback because the quick turn of it becoming red would make the player wait again for it to turn white.

(P.S. Edited the second question.)

No the line turning red is solely based on whether or not you are reeling it in and the speed at which you are reeling it.

I’m not saying there isn’t a difference overall in the speed of catching fish or the difficulty, merely that the line isn’t turning red any faster and the speed of reeling hasn’t changed. We’ll do some more looking into it and see if some changes need to be made overall.

Thanks Riley. Really appreciate the quick responses!

I noticed this too. Took me like 5 minutes to reel in a sunfish. Kept moving so far away while reeling it in…at one point, I couldn’t see the bobber anymore - I thought I was about to get disconnected.

I have the same issue with fishing right now, feels like it’s going red faster and is a lot slower going back to white, which causes the line to snap due to being in a habbit of fishing how it did before the update happend. I can no longer watch Netflix while fishing without snapping the line (which means I no longer watch Netflix :frowning: )

Yah… I’m a bit more worried about the new players.

The faster jumping function ads a new challenge, that I like as a experienced fisher, but I remember thinking fishing used to be hard even with the old system. Now I find players I’m trying to teach have new problems I never experienced. Like the fish running away so far that they can’t see the line, and I find myself encouraging tossing short, and un-equipt your rod if it goes to far away.

do miss netfishing

Overall, I find the differences subtle and I can deal with them. However, I have a couple quantitative comparisons. These are true for many of the basic fish (sunfish, bass, catfish, minnows, eel).

• Before the fishing patch, I could get through 1.75-2 lures per basic fishing potion. Now, I can get one or two casts on a second lure before the potion runs out.
  • Before the patch, I could wait exactly 3 vibrations after the line turned red before I could start reeling again. Now, I have to wait between 6 and 10 vibrations, which gives the fish more time to run away.

It is definitely frustrating to have the fish less than two feet away from the shore and then have it go schizophrenic and jump 20 feet away over the course of a couple rest periods. It can take a full minute of reeling to get it back from one of those episodes.

However if I hadn’t spent so many hours fishing before the patch, I definitely wouldn’t have noticed the difference. It is very subtle and definitely not game-breaking.

You guys are doing a fantastic job and I’m always amazed how responsive you are and how quickly you are developing the game!

1 Like

i fished yesterday for cloak fish at the stones in lucian. i drunk the aged potion for an 20 minutes effekt.

there where no problems, that the fish jumps so far away. yes, there were movement but not realy wide moves. i reeled the line in until it gets red, then let it go for 1-3 seconds. in that time the line went to white. then reeling 3 or 4 rounds and let it go again for 1-3 seconds.

yes, its f*** when you throw the floater far away and the fish bite directly. than its a long way to the bank.

I have full fishing gear and I feel like it does take more time to reel in the basic fish and some of the others like eel. I think something is definitely going on.

I also feel like fishing is broken after the latest update. Its definitely not relaxing or enjoyable like real fishing with all that reeling.

I noticed after the upgrade the fish swimming really far out. So far I have fixed it by never releasing the reel. I used to wind then release until the line turns white. But now doing that the fish will swim really far away.
If I just stop winding but hold the reel it doesn’t seem to swim away as much anymore.

1 Like

I do not have any fishing gear and am just a level 5 fisher (I also practically never use potions). I’ve liked the fishing overall, and I agree the jump in difference was a bit jarring. A new player was complaining about trying to catch a sunfish and how long it was taking to reel in / how impossible and rarely succeeded.
I cast my line, one bit, started doing my thing - oh jeez, it really does jump away! It felt like several minutes to reel in that sunfish without breaking my line. It was quite a feat compared to prior - fishing prior had felt overall calm and relaxing, and this was surprisingly challenging (why is the lure still moving away?? It was so close that time! I don’t usually let my line get this red, but I can’t not reel!) just for a sunfish in Kingsport Lake.
I’ll say the first one was lol for the difference in how it felt, but to catch more than one sunfish… is going to take a much longer time with much more effort. Since the change, I’ve only caught 2 sunfish in a single sitting; usually I fish till I have about 20 in one sitting, but maybe that’s the idea? To not be easy / as fruitful up front? That’s what I figured, at least :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Its easy with the gear. But I really think for sunfish minnow bass and cattfish it shouldn’t matter.
Also sharks are easier then sunfish… .

1 Like

I’m not a fan of quests or fishing, but wouldn’t mind hooking a few sunfish occasionally. Concerned that it will be too much a bother now, even for common fish. At the moment fishing seems gated behind grindy quests.

Sunfish are significantly harder to catch. I am level 3 with no gear. I now have line breaks and or can spend up to five minutes reeling in. They seem to just swim off into the horizon. My friend said his bobber disappeared. He also noticed it was too difficult.

Have to jump in and say me too on this one. Having to baby the line in catching minnows feels odd, and catching catfish felt ridiculous considering how often and how far the catfish would jump. The relaxing feel has definitely shifted.

Catching low level fish should be as easy as before and it’s a pretty noticeable difference to anyone who fished before.

We made some adjustments to this today, to make it easier. It might still feel different than before due to the changes to the delay in the red line “recovering”, but hopefully it should be as easy in general as it was before.

5 Likes