The State of the Musketeer

I was just thinking about it in the ways that it currently can be destroyed. Natural duration end/Shooting it with your gun/taking damage from enemies/ or maybe shooting it with an orb that doesnt empower it (like shield) which could also change/add to the effect of the explosion…

But i like the idea of possibly having some sort of remote trigger too.

Yes, This.

1 Like

am i misunderstanding what you mean here?

No I probably just over explained, your responses imply you got it. But here’s the even longer version:

The way we used to AoE orbs was by shooting the turret in OG. We could do it with every orb and when the Empowered Turret talent came in, that was the end of doing a Cure Wounds or Renew AoE. Not that they were ever a thing anyway though.

We can still AoE our shield orb, weakness, etc… everything that doesn’t empower it. So if we had the ability to AoE healing orbs again, we’d need a new way to activate using that ability. I can’t imagine not using the empowered turret. And I surely can’t imagine blowing my turret up to AoE Cure Wounds. These practices are borderline heresy.

If we left it at shooting the orb at our turret, we’d still need a means to activate that ability because how would the turret know we meant for that Cure Wounds orb to AoE instead of empower it?

Losing our turret for anything is super painful, and moving it away from tanks (especially PLD) would be rough. So I feel like we might as well just make it an action to flag the next orb as being AoE, and make it AoE from wherever the orb lands.

Oh ok i understand… i think i started playing after that was a thing, and the only time the shield orb was ever attempted to be used that way for us was on boss 3 (before we figured out how that mechanic worked)

LOL, right? But imagine a boss fight where everyone takes massive damage in a phase that needs to be healed quick. Or perhaps some type of tentacle boss where all of its tentacles (or something) need to be frozen at the same time to make it vulnerable (frost orb explosion?) Im thinking more along the lines of raid boss mechanics where we (and our turret) wouldn’t be the only source of healing, so it would be ok to blow-that-shit-up and be without it for a little while.

…We also arnt the primary healers anymore (currently), so its kind of a mindset change too. They may intend to make us the primary healers again though. I really hope they dont make us full heals again…

aRkker wants to heal. I want aRkker to heal. Let us all bask in the soothing beats of aRkker. Please dont nerf bard, either directly or indirectly by making musky healing so good that bard becomes obsolete. Enhance our uniqueness. Let us shine! (with guns)

1 Like

Hell yeah! Don’t get me wrong, I love the trinity of Tank, Heal, DPS and the necessity of their roles in a group. But I love the most when we get to bend those lines, and it’s even better in Orbus because we get to do it based on our skill shots. I think what makes a great healer truly great, is one that doesn’t want to heal. Because that person heals when they have to in order to survive, and would rather spend their time adding to DPS instead of being idle.

Perhaps it’s best if we do become more off healers, but we definitely need a hard single hit DPS orb to go with it. (which should replace gravity and also be an interrupt). The idea I see in MP is that it would allow for bursting as needed when poisons and deep wounds are going simultaneous or on different party members, it would room to breathe in lower end content if you blow a shot, and when you have the snipe skills with your heals then you’re still left a pool of mana, poison, and a hard hitting orb that could put us at roughly 1/3-1/2 the DPS potential as actual DPS when played to full potential.

Wanna put your Musketeer DPS to the test? Do it at the risk of not being able to burst heal or take extra shots when you or other people make mistakes because you don’t have the MP left for it. We were falling from relevancy in OG too near the end as well though, even when we were the only heals there were. It’s going to take a lot of thought for how we can bring this class back.

Maybe just more party buffing? Though that’s a Bard’s gig. We need to be able to do serious damage at the cost of needing high skill shots. And what we have to heal with isn’t enough both because of potency and the cooldowns.

Yeah this is true. The extra mp wouldnt lead to any significant dps increase if we dont have an orb that actually does damage, instead of applying a dot. But, have you considered Surgeon tree, Tier 5, Elite Sniper, as a way to achieve the same thing (more skill = more dps/heals)?

Wait do I need to go back up and look at some previous edits of yours? I think so.

1 Like

Yeah look at the sample talent tree…its on page 5 LOL

…as its currently designed its more of a reward to healing, and the other option (known exploiter) would be better dps in a raid scenario, but it doesnt have to be that way… that was just my original thought

1 Like

I’d have to know the distances. Because there’s a lot of close quarters fighting in dungeons. Raids I imagine will be much more open. Put this into the perspective of Boss 5 for example. The main healer would suffer from this talent while the off healers would greatly boon from it.

Also, I’ve noticed PLD tend to move and jump a lot, forcing us to keep closer to them than the more stalwart WAR. This would be a difficult choice. It’s hard to put into clear perspective without numbers to see. I think I would choose Elite Sniper though, unless Known Exploiter put up some serious numbers.

Well… maybe, its hard to say. Yes a main tank healer on boss 5 would not normally be able to take advantage sniper… however, as a main tank healer for boss 5, that fight often got chaotic with people being teleported at random, and i often was forced to make clutch snipes either across the room to the dps group, or from the carpet when i came back from upstairs, to the tank…

It could also work differently, like - hitting a heal from a certain distance makes your next orb deal x% more heals/damage for instance…

I really like tier 3s. I think it would be better (but maybe OP?) for it to be the other way around. With shield orb being a heal as well. Mostly because we get it far more often and MSK has no “light burst” heal. I think somewhere around 15% of what cure wounds gives, would be a good number to start on.

Because right now, we either need to dump our big cure with a ridiculous CD, or hope that next HoT tick is enough when you’ve got a PLD at 60-65% HP about to take a tank buster. You wonder if shield orb will be enough or if you have need to burn Cure Wounds on that measly 10-15% more HP needed to reach guaranteed survival range in the event of a crit.

shield is kinda in a weird place right now… i had proposed a change to how it works, so i was going more off that… but yeah, Shield getting a heal would probably be more useful honestly… i may change that… later Edit - Updated “Protector”

2 Likes

I think it’s best on the shot like you first suggested. Maybe like, 5-10% per 10m or something. Like the ranger globes except not a stacking buff: just Xm=X% added on that specific shot.

This way it’s still more viable in dungeons as you could reasonably expect to get some tiny gain with either tank, at varying distances, and shots hit super hard on those gnarly snipes. Cuz let’s be honest, that feels REAL good, and it would feel better to land a cure that was increased to do unbent->full hp, or a 20k+ crit on a single hit dps orb itself.

20k isn’t that much, I know. The damage would have to reflect how short the CD timer is. And a single hit dps orb would be best with a short cooldown to take up the downtime you have as a healer waiting for your next Cure Wounds.

2 Likes

OMG, sooo good. Hell, i get excited when i see someone else do it. “Holy shit Kizzy did you just hit that snipe???”

2 Likes

One thing I’d like to point out about detonate that would be super nice is that it would be a really good indication of when our turrets go down, and would help clean up instances of inactive turret you need to shoot to refresh. I’d like to see this most on a damage turret exploding for damage and applying a renew to the group.

I don’t think you could use it effectively and consistently enough with Cure Wounds or a burst heal to the group as the healing turret to coincide with any mechanics reliably due to turrets inevitably going down off time though.

I’d like to run the damage turret with heals on it a lot more, to be honest it seems to prioritize healing over DPS better than the healing turret with poison. I just haven’t seen how effective at healing it really is.

People tend to not like when they hear that dps turret though, so it’s hard to get an accurate look at how it fares on heals. It needs to be less than the healing turret, but be able to keep up reasonably well if backed by a skilled MSK. If it could keep up on heals that way and explode for decent damage when it goes down, I’m all in on this one.

Im not really sure what causes that turret glitch… but im pretty sure it is a glitch, so i dont think it would be affected by a Detonate ability (unless you were always prematurely detonating it maybe)

Also i think you could reliably time a detonate for a specific boss mechanic … think boss 3 with controlling when your turret expires…assuming the mechanics happen at a predictable time

I imagined that just having the trigger to detonate would make it act as if you had shot it, especially if it’s giving buffs/poisons as if it was empowered with that.

Second point is true for sure. And the way I painted the picture is wrong too. It doesn’t matter if you accidentally or purposely shoot it. The timer is the same, you get thrown off by not putting it out at the right time.

But if you did that, you could trigger it on the next rotation at the right time to set it back on time so long as you didn’t wait too long to put it back out. If that makes sense?

1 Like

Oh, yeah maybe. Great way to fix a glitch haha.

yeah exactly, the cooldown you would have to manage is the turret respawn… which im not sure of, off the top of my head, but lets say its 30 seconds… you put the turret down, you detonate it 15 seconds in, 15 seconds later it respawns on your side and can be redeployed.
If you know you have big group heal required in 30ish seconds, and your turret is available to be deployed now, you could just wait a few seconds to put it down, to ensure that it wouldnt accidentally expire right before you need to trigger the explosion.

1 Like

We’re getting into the realm of forcing talent choices by mechanics though there. The right side is the clear winner imo regardless though, for the same reason I choose poison. Your turret timer is the same as it’s duration, so there’s not really any downtime to it.

Unless you’re in a fight where you’d need a lot of distance and can’t get it to the tank regularly. I guess that lines up with the final one in a way, since it you’d have more time to be away from the tank to take advantage of buffing your snipe shots.

Exactly. The scenarios they create will completely be the judge of what is an isnt worth it.

…i also go over some of these potential scenarios for each tier, a couple paragraphs below the talent tree