Understanding mob respawn mechanics

Hey all!

I’m posting this because i have a few issues and questions with the current mob respawn mechanics (in the open zones). While i am still new to the game, i have so far put 39 hours into it so i think i have most of the basics down at least.

Issue:

• Mobs that you recently killed occasionally spawn directly on or close to you.
  • This danger does ofcourse create some random thrill, especially if you as a solo player get out alive.
  • Often i find this happens while i am mid battle. Also i often kill red mobs or yellow elites, so there is little room for suddenly fighting more than one, leading to frustation either having to run away, or having to run back after dying.

Assumptions:

• Areas have a number of predefined spawn spots
  • Areas have a number of predefined mobs, which are generally lower than the amount spawn spots
  • When a mob spawns it picks a random spawn spot which isn’t currently occupied by another mob
  • When a mob dies, a random range timer is created until it enters the respawn process above

Cause (if the above assumptions are correct):

• Since a respawning mob will pick a random unoccupied spawn location, there is no guarantee that a player or group of players killing one or several mobs will have a safe area where the mob(s) died
  • This effect grows even larger when methodically clearing an area, as there are more respawn timers in play, and each mob can potentially spawn anywhere within its designated spawn spots
  • And even more so since some of the respawn timers may be very short. I may be wrong on this, and what i am seeing is simply mobs killed longer ago spawning shortly after in a spot at me.

All in all i think the system is good for creating a varied spawn distribution and making the world feel more alive. I do however feel that with this system, there should be a check to avoid mob respawns within agro range of players (if such a spawn point is available) to avoid the points listed in the issues section.

Also, today i have been grinding snakes (jacket serpers or whatever they are called) in Obnobi. In the start there was a lot of thief mobs around, being slightly higher level than the snakes. These however have not respawned at all since being cleared an hour or so ago.

Could anyone shed some more light on this?

For mobs that spawn on top of you, there are a couple of options. There seems to be a delay before the new mob will aggro, so you can move away as long as you know it is there. If you are playing mage or ranger, you can use polymorph or the trap to keep the other mob occupied until you’re done with the first. I’m not sure if there are similar mechanics for warrior or musketeer.

It does seem there are set spawn points - if you grind an area long enough, you learn where the mobs are going to spawn and where it is safe to stand.

For the mobs not respawning, they may share a spawner with something else in the area. In the Frosted Spit vulpes share a spawner with one of the other mobs, so it would make sense that this is true in other areas.

2 Likes

While it is true that there is a delay before the mob “activates”, i doubt many are looking around them mid fight. Scouting safe areas is what players usually do before engaging rather than during the engagement.

It is also true that as a runemage or ranger, polymorph and trap are options. However, as listed above, if you are fighting mobs that are close to your “limit”, this isn’t always an option as taking the time to do that might let the original mob kill you.

Yes and no. While you may know where all the spawn points are, there is not necesarily a safe spot. Some mob “spawn spot clusters” if you will are wide, and can not all be reached going around the spawn points. As such, you will have to enter areas you know could potentially spawn mobs to reach other mobs. Herein lies part of my issue with the current system.

The last part about shared spawns is probably the case for the thieves, i did not think of this. Thank you :slight_smile:

Some mobs are also in the same spawn table.

For example, in the Snow Biome, the Vulpes share the table with the Deers.
Meaning that if there are no Deer spawning, kill the Vulpes.

This also seems to be the case in Lamavora.
I’ve once was waiting for the chest and killing the non-elite mobs which eventually had every spawn become a Elite Spider. There was about 10 Elite spiders at once.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.