Valve Index Controller Bindings Error

Hello all! Currently having trouble with the controller bindings for Orbus. Normally wouldn’t be a problem, but steamVR will not allow me to select, or edit, the bindings. In or out of VR. I’ve been troubleshooting for about a week now, messed with every binding setting I could find (steamVR & Orbus), but kept receiving the “Failed to load input bindings” error. Forcing me to select a new binding input, but won’t allow me to Edit the default or Activate a community shared input. I also cant create an input either. Eventually I wiped everything from the PC, Windows and all. Installed a Brand New NVMe and reinstalled windows to that. Redownloaded steam, steamvr, and orbus, still nothing.

The odd thing is, I’m able to physically touch the Virtual button with my name and the login button. loads me into the game, but I’m dead in the water from there. This started happening on the 8th of this month when steamVR came out with update 1.15.18

It seemed to effect other games in my library, but most of them have been resolved with the exception of VRchat, which I’m chalking up to VRchat just being a generally broken game and needs to catch up to Steams updates.

From what i understand the newest updates for SteamVR have greatly changed the way we use the Valve Index Controllers and I’m wondering if I may just be stuck waiting for an update to Orbus as well. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apologies, I know there are a lot of threads on here already about controller issues and I’m brand new to the community page. BUT it seems my issue is a tinge off from everything else I’ve read. If this has already been addressed please leave a link to the thread and set this one for termination.

Im almost certain this is a steamVR issue as I had the same issue; to fix it I had to basically wipe certain SteamVR files to allow me to change bindings again. I would recomend completely deleting all steamVR files in all directories (There is the directory in the steam ‘common’ folder but also in another folder) and reinstall.

Its annoying but its how I fixed them on my end.

1 Like

Thank you for the info, i will give it a go this afternoon after work and get back to you with any questions. Hopefully thats all it is. fingers crossed

Would you suggest also deleting all VR games as well or just a full wipe of SteamVR. I have tried a uninstall and reinstall a few times but perhaps there ARE files that I’m missing on uninstall

Unfortunately this did not work, spent over an hour digging through files and folders, including appdata. Third time doing so, and still no luck… sad to think I may not be able to play this game again. Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated and helpful, thanks everyone in advanced.

I have had no similar issues with my Index, but in the past I have needed to restore Steam VR to default. There was no need to go digging. It is pretty straightforward. It restores Lighthouse settings too…which could be the issue if this started right after the update…

1. Completely close Steam and SteamVR.

2. Navigate to each path and delete the following files:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\lighthouse\lighthousedb.json

Then Uninstall steam VR from your library:

• Right click SteamVR from the Steam Library and select Uninstall
  • Follow the on screen prompts to complete the uninstallation of SteamVR.

Make sure to delete any leftover files in the installation directory by deleting the contents in the folder “SteamVR”
The default path for that folder would be:
“%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR”

Reboot

Finally re-install SteamVR thru Steam.

Everything you could ever need to know about the rebinding and zeroing process can be found here:
Steam VR Binding Guide

1 Like

I was very hopeful, but unfortunately no luck. Still receiving “failed to load input bindings” and still won’t allow me to select, or create a new binding. Thank you for the tip and the VR Binging Guide, very helpful!

1 Like

Right on Muffin. I am sorry it was no joy…

The only other thing I can think of is to check and make sure you are not using any beta versions of Steam VR.

• Right click on SteamVR in your Steam library.
  • Choose “Properties”
  • Choose “Beta”
  • Set Opt-In option to “None”

If it is already set to None you might try the Oculus related Beta and play around with your compatibility settings… but that will prolly cause you issues in other games and it may not help.

I am assuming you are using quality cables and a USB 3.0 port on your PC or the USB-C and dongle…

The only other thing I can tell you is that my Index does work with the current version of SteamVR and Orbus running on Windows 10… so it is possible.

Good Luck!!

I just thought of one other thing…
If you have “Steam Overlay” or “Steam Desktop Theater” enabled they can cause issues in some VR games… you might disable them and see if that helps.

More Good Luck!!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.