Wildstar/Carbine shutting down

I always felt that there were a lot of similarities in gameplay between Wildstar and Orbus. Wildstars boss mechanics were heavily movement based, and like orbus they used a telegraph system to mark danger areas on the ground, and also lacked things like “smart” heals, requiring thoughtful positioning and skilled aiming. Wildstar had some of the most fun and challenging fights I’ve played in an mmorpg. Their raid content was top notch imo, and I believe it would be greatly enhanced in VR… Looks like a bunch of their developers are looking for jobs right now. Hint hint…

7 Likes

I’m not surprised with them shutting down with how shit their game optimization was. at that time i had two gpus in SLI and it actually ran WORSE on two gpus than one.

I would love it if every enemy attack was a telegraphed line, area, or spatial damage.
All of the actual players in orbus use manually targeted, impact sensitive attacks. (if your attack visually misses, it physically misses)

Sadly the NPC’s do not use this same rule for how their attacks are managed, they are on-target and un-dodge-able unless its a specific ability that has it’s red area marker. If I swing a sword at the air, it does not damage the enemy. If the enemy swings theirs at the air. It doesn’t matter if I teleport 30 feet away before their swing collides with where I was. The damage is applied.

On the flipside, though, making it so backing away or teleporting backwards could avoid an enemy “melee” attack would mean that ranged fighters such as archer or musky could kill any melee mob, no matter how badass, without taking damage (by kiting in a circle or something).

This is easily fixable by allowing enemies to have faster attacks that are much harder to dodge, and near impossible if you are out of stamina. So conserving and managing stamina for dodging with teleporting/sprinting would be a mechanic that can actually be used by solo players who cant raid.
I don’t play the game enough for any fellowship to want to take me in, and my schedule is too random to have standard times that I play so no fellowship wants me. I’m cool with that, but it effectively makes this game trash trying to be a solo player ranger… there’s no enjoyment, no reward, no feeling of accomplishment, no incentive to play the game at all as a lv 20 solo player. The combat would be the only redeeming feature, only if they didnt half-lie about it. They say on their main website, there’s no tab-targeting, yet EVERY monsters basic attack uses a tab targeted locked on mechanic… yeah players don’t tab target… so the enemies shouldnt either. enemy archers can’t miss, you cant side step arrows… they’re heat seeking.

May I strongly recommend you join the fellowship and community discords? Quite frequently, fellowships will run raids or shards and need additional people. They typically post on one or more of the discord channels to pug. It may at the very least help you get a group or two every so often for raid or other grouped content

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.