Little (reroll) Shard Guide for Traders/New Players

This is some info directed to newer players about the shards you get from breaking down gear: Green (Minor), blue (Major), purple (Glimmering) and orange (Effervescent) ones.
These are used for re-rolling the affixes on armor and weapons, for example you get a weapon with “Treasure Master” on it, but want to have “Unbending”. It can easily take 30+ shards to get a certain affix you want, and much more if you go for a certain combination of two affixes, which are on purple armor pieces or on legendary weapons.

Since I see alot of different prices in the Auction House lately, here a picture of the exchange rates at the shard vendor, an NPC which unlocks late in the MSQ, where you have to build the rainforest outpost. Nearest portal stone to the outpost is Ocean’s Edge, then enter Rainforest from there.

Screenshot_1

As you see the current rate is:

10 Minor Shards = 1 Major Shard
15 Major Shards = 1 Glimmering Shard
20 Glimmerings = 1 Effervescent Shard

What does that mean for prices which I personally would pay in the auction house? Say, my goal is getting Glimmering Shards by exchange. Those are sold for around 7500 Dram in the last weeks, sometimes for 6000 (and it is rather an exception finding them any cheaper).

So I would pay 7500/15 = 500 Dram at max for a major shard and 7500/150 = 50 Dram at max for a minor shard. If Glimmerings can be bought for 6000, prices even fall, a major shard is worth 400 Dram at max then, a minor only 40 Dram.

Effervescent (orange) Shards are, in theory, at a prize tag of 120k-150k Dram if Glimmerings were bought & exchanged for them. However, no one seems to buy them for this amount (neither do I personally exchange for them, unless I run out of space for Glimmerings).

Hope this helps!

PS, a sidenote/request for devs:
The Insanity of having to farm 3000 green shards, in theory, or 20 Glimmerings, for ONE single legendary roll (which, because of the number of possible combinations with 2 affixes, is mostly unsuccessful), was already mentioned on forums. These rates are not attractive for the endgame, at all.
My orange shards don’t come from the vendor, but all from direct Lvl 15 dungeon drops, which is a good start, but I still don’t have enough to even think about rerolling proper affixes for my legendaries. Others can’t get even most necessary affixes like “unbending+whatever” on a +6 tank weapon, after spending lots time to get this drop, which is just sad.
I wished these rates were changed or there were at least more sources for effervescent, for ex. raid tokens, pvp tokens etc., anything, so those being lucky enough (or rather, grinding the heck outta 15s) to finally get a legendary have a fair chance to roll useful combinations on it also.

2 Likes

You should also post this on the reddit so more people can see it

1 Like

Feel free to repost, I’m not on reddit…

Posted for you

1 Like

If you’re farming 3000 Minors for an Effervescent, you are doing probably the least efficient thing in the entire game. Normal dungeons will drop gear with Major/Glimmering shards. That’ll save you hundreds of Minors. If you’re at the point where you’re needing Effervescents, you’ve got plenty of more efficient ways of getting them. Not to mention, they should be fairly rare because we’re talking about the rarest and most powerful weapons in the game.

I’m not farming them, at all…? Because it’s pointless. This is exactly what I meant in my post, calculating playtime hours into outcome, it makes no sense. However, this vendor was introduced as a way to get these shards, by exchanging lower ones, all, down to greens. Now if you farm these faster by doing dungeons for blues or purple this is a further reason for changing rates, since the vendor did not contribute to the task he was introduced for, at all.
And btw I doubt you are faster with dungeons in the case of glimmerings btw… you need a lot of luck and dedicated groups to get 20 in less time than farming them from scratch aka greens… we did shards for almost 4h today, I got 2-3 glimmerings outta that, no more.

The thread where alot of people did those very same calculations is here, right when the npc was introduced, look at Landru’s and Scott’s comments:

And nope, they should not be that rare because the point of doing high-end content is to get a weapon, in the first place, not to get the tools to make that weapon useful. You need much more shards than ever available to roll a perfect combination anyways, likely 100s when you go for a certain combo.
Some few sure could get lucky and roll it earlier, fine, but others do 50, 100, 200 level 15 shards without getting the needed amount to properly roll the weapons they get.

Now the damage of a +6 is luckily least a bit higher, so a not perfect affix-combo is not a total waste. However, if you get a +5 or lower legendary weapon this one can even be worse than your old weapon, once it got the wrong affixes. Now since +6 are out no one even considers to reroll a +5 or lower legendary anymore, you can break down this stuff, since it’s not even worth it.
Rerolling any legendaries is still way, way too expensive and the vendor who was supposed to be a bandaid did not help a bit with that. You’re better off with your old weapon than with your legendary because it is - due to devs calculation - 20 times cheaper to roll one affix, unbending or what you need on it!
That’s why I do think effervescents are way too rare and it’s a flaw in the game that they are.

Well I mean it really comes down to fine tuning end game so I don’t see it as bad. As a guild we have a stock of effervescent shards so that we can roll everyone’s main +6 to be perfect or the next best roll they can have for the class. Because of this everyone that I know of in the guild has at least close to a perfect setup on their main class. If I remember correctly we have around 10 people good if not perfect rolls for their weapons on the affixes. While I know this does not work for everyone that is just our solution we found that works for us.

1 Like

Uhm just a guess, american timezone, Elysium most likely…? It’s 2 am right now, I should be in bed long ago. We are 5 people playing in my guild, most of evenings, sometimes 6, but other times only 4, and if so there’s barely a soul on the server to ask for higher shards, at all (and yea, I friended nearly all who are in EU timezone and capable to play this content, by now…) - cheers!

I understand that. I am just letting you know what our strategy is in that aspect. Numbers really do help but I don’t think anyone from Elysium would be against helping you if you ever needed a filler when you all are doing shards if it is a need for people to do higher content with that is. I normally am always on discord fairly early in the morning (Eastern Standard Time around 7-8am) because of getting off of my job early because of the quarantine.

1 Like

Thx but that’s 1pm here, so 6h before we even start (7 pm - 9 pm is our prime time). It always has been hard to fill groups during that timespan … And this is not first about personal issues, i`m actually fine, rolled unbending/lifesteal on my musket and also can live with my unbending/charged strikes on shaman, instead of the better bleed (a combo where I would need 50+ eff shards to even try for, this is, according to landru, the average to get perfect … are you really providing that to every member, for every class O.o? In terms of auction house prices that is 5 million dram, per weapon!).
Just trying to help a) others who are less lucky, getting weapons after countless 15s which they can not even use and b) pointing to some maths which were critized before and I still believe, even if single guilds can manage, are clearly off.

I never said that was for every class. I only said that for the class that the individual mains. I also never said that the drop rate for effervescents are good but I was just giving an example of how we manage with it.

1 Like

Thanks for the information!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.