OG OrbusVR armor sets for Transmog

A game is a game and it plays on the same human emotions. WoW got it right by doing it the way they did successfully hooking in a whole generation of MMORPG players. To not take good learnings from previous successful MMOs is the same as trying to reinvent the wheel. Also just plain out doing small things over and over again which many early adopters will obviously hate when you can do something with a few minutes extra effort is just lazy and a great way to get your game disliked.

Here’s a nice metaphor:

A person wins a race in 2008. The race organizers decide to start awarding the same medal that the person in 2008 got to everyone else who raced in 2009. The 2008 medalist never attends that competition again, because the reward feels meaningless. The racer tells their friends how terrible the organizers are in that race. The race loses popularity.

1 Like

nice metaphor
i dont understand why all these people who didnt spend a year gearing out their players even think that they should be able to get the legacy armor sets. I never got my legendary bow, do i think i should get it somehow? NO I didnt earn, i never got all the mage armor. do i think i should get it? NO

So I’ve been watching this thread, and wanted to jump in and give a general reply to the thread, to what I think it boils down to. “We worked hard for the gear and we want to ensure that others work as hard to earn the gear.”

While I can understand not wanting to diminish the effort and achievements that many players earned from original Orbus, we also don’t have the development team size to re-make the old gear sets (lower tri count, texture sheets, shape keys, etc.) and not have a way to earn them in Reborn. One suggestion in this thread that I think will be doable that I think will be a good compromise between the two will be to change the base color along with the item name of the gear given out in Reborn, but still use the same mesh/styling of the gear, as this isn’t as time intensive as re-making the armor but will still differentiate between the two sets.

4 Likes

Not quite but based on your solution I think you got the gist. This quote is missing the differentiation part. We do not just want others to work hard for the gear, we mostly want to have some differentiation between our ‘orbus 2k18 trophy’ and the ‘orbus 2k19 trophy’. So to break down what you wrote a bit more accurately:

For the vanilla player persona
As a vanilla Orbus player, I want to show trophies of my hard work, so that I can be differentiated from other players.

As a vanilla Orbus player, I want to show off my old threads, so that other players can be amazed and see that I am old and wise (lol).

For the new user persona
As a new user, I want to progressively unlock cool looking armor, so that I can show my progress throughout the game.

As a new user, I want to progressively unlock cool looking armor, so that I can discover cool new looks.

I think that is the best solution.

To add: and/or (a subtle) silver shiny versions unlocked. You can use the subtle shiny version as a test of if people like a more subtle shiny version. I think everyone appreciated the attempt at making new type of shiny armor texture… But it just needs to not hide the details… AKA make it very subtle but still noticable.

I feel like that would work…

1 Like

There’s no difference in the armor if only he base color changes because it will be dyed out

I think the undyable parts need to be different… and like I said… a subtle shiny version unlocked for us or something like that… and they can use that as a test safely knowing that atleast we have another way to differentiate the model… I can’t think of a better way to do it honestly.

if it is just as hard to earn as the old game i have no issue, as long as there is still something making me feel special

2 Likes

anyone else read this as “these transmogs will be the reward for future content”, meaning all oldbus players who already have these transmogs will have no reason to do these future events?

5 Likes

That is a very very good point i hadn’t considered. There would definitely need to be some color/(nice to look at shiny) variation then.

1 Like

I would like to point out that there is already a precedent in Orbus for things that are now unobtainable. And I mean more than the things that the backers got. Like the gold rush cape, for example. Even in OG it was unobtainable if you didn’t get it during the event.

1 Like

These are event items, though, and almost entirely just a list of capes, with the exception of some Backer rewards. This and that are very different things. :man_shrugging:

Edit: I imagine that some ITT might get upset if they repeat the event and also repeat the rewards. I don’t have this issue, though. Repeating events is a thing in almost all MMOs and generally also include the previous years’ cosmetics/gear.

That’s extactly what everyone is saying.
It was a different game. Now people want stuff in this game because they played the old one. Then in another thread cry about lack of content and motivation to do it.
Then cry that the game should be like WoW then cry about dailies and level scaling.

You can’t eat your cake and have it too.

i mean if the goal is for success the goal should be able to have your cake and eat it too, because the whole saying is that one thing is useless without the other…

2 Likes

That’s because you’re saying it wrong and is why that (incorrect) saying never made any sense. I said it correctly, and it makes sense.

They’re the same both ways. It means they’re mutually exclusive. Either you have the metaphorical cake or you eat it. Regardless of order, it’s the same.

Parin’s interpretation is correct, though: people are occasionally asking for mutually exclusive items.

They are not the same both ways. Think reeeaaally hard.

On a technicality, the proper expression is “have your cake and eat it too”. You can look this up basically anywhere and see that.

They mean the same thing either way. Whether that’s possessing the cake and also destroying it or destroying it and also possessing it. You can’t do both at once.

Incorrect. Just because it is the common expression does not mean it’s the proper one.

From your very own link: " You can’t eat your cake and [then still] have it (too) ". Indeed, this used to be the most common form of the expression until the 1930’s-40’s, when it was overtaken by the have-eat variant.”

Read your sources before you use them as evidence.

Who effin cares? Jesus christ just get back on topic.

2 Likes

Just make the game not suck please… give the old players some custom dyeing options or something…

2 Likes