Alpha Test Feedback Thread 5/5/17

Is this how mage is supposed to be? Last test I could cast a fireball, and get the next one ready mid flight.

Now even going slow and doing apparently the same motion, I get 1 in 7 if im lucky. Tried fireball for almost 45 min. Think im done with mage.

Not even playing right now…frustrated need to chill out some first

The light spell seems to be causing alot of lag when you can see it, even when I went away from others and finally managed to cast one, my frames started to drop.

Yeah the light spell can be pretty heavy right now. I’ll turn off the shadows on it and that should help.

Part of that is muscle memory and you most likely had practice with the last rune. Part of it is that the threshold for accuracy has been increased above what it was. We may end up slightly lowering it again, we’re still experimenting to see where we want to get it. I can actually get Fireball about 95% of the time at this point, so it is definitely possible to practice it and get it. That said, I’m sorry you’re frustrated! Stick with it and I bet you will be back up to speed in no time, and the good news is that these are final runes so there will not be any need to re-learn them.

Nope, I think that sounds like a bug, haha. I hadn’t even thought of doing that.

Can you be more specific? Are you swinging the sword really frequently back and forth in small motions of the wrist or more wide sweeping arcs of the whole arm?

1 Like

There is a big graphical glitch in a few places where maybe the pushback animation is remaining?

Generally speaking the test seems to be going really well so far. There’s been around 35 people online since we started, and (knock on wood) we haven’t had any crashes on the server yet or any major bugs. Hope you are all having a good time!

Yes I noticed that as well, it’s on my list. I’ll add it to the known issues as well. Thanks!

The affliction spell volume is overwhelmingly loud as well I didn’t read earlier comments if they mentioned it

Hmmm…interesting. I don’t see anything about it that should make it louder than any other spell. Is this when it’s on the tip of your wand or after you cast it or…?

I’m the first time around, so topics might be considered somewhere else already. Sorry if raising duplicates.

First, let me say Orbus is looking and feeling rather cool on first shot.

To the things i noticed in my 1st hour:

The teleports destination marking seems to arc off too high. Thinking a natural open hand, it’s more sourcing and following the thumb, instead of the index finger. This way holding your hands loosely it arcs out of range, causing to consciously having to bend my wrist down for aiming.

After approaching the questgiver for the farm clean-out her speech boxes were partially inside the character model.

Playing Ranger, there’s some noticable lag between seeing the arrow hit, and damage animation showing up. I’m located in Germany, so maybe that’s /just/ transmission delay between me and the server.

Having knocked an arrow when dying, I’m respawning at the graveyard with the arrow still knocked. I’m not sure if that’s actually causing to loose a cooldown when dismissing a skill arrow then. Spawning with both hands empty makes more sense I think.

When drawing an arrow, the bow models orientation ‘jumps’ by a few degree between hand/bow with hitting the trigger. This sets off aim when raising the bow and knocking the arrow.

Generally, when releasing, the arrows seem to fly off slightly to high; somehow it feels not fitting with the visuals of bow and arrow.

[Edit: in case aiming-topics might be tracking-/controller-related: I’m using a Vive]

1 Like

Well for me, its bugged out. Finaly after 2 hours of utter frustration and almost walking away. If I cast it while looking up to the sky, i get it every time, look forward, nothing.

Still logged in, be back in the headset in 3 min if you want to see

Nevermind, im done for now, ill be back on later maby. cant get it do do it.

Was looking forward to playing mage all nite too frustrated to even play

occassionally the warrior shield will stop working and the stun is disabled until a client restart (hmd on my face. spelling errors)

Sorry for the delayed response, it is when it is on the tip of the wand and only then. Loud enough to drown out all party members voices for me.

Hey, just wanted to say that there is a lot of negative feedback on discord about the runemage. Most of the people have rage quit from frustration there trying to get the spells to work. Are you sure there isn’t something going wrong with the detection, and have you tried going in and testing the spells yourself in the active test, because you know you can do the spells so if you can’t in the test that could signal a problem.

Working fine for me. Took two hours of practice now I have half the spells working 80% of the time. Sounds like people wanting everything to be super easy.

1 Like

I played for about an hour right after the test started and didn’t have any issues. Do sometimes have trouble with the Pushback rune but the rest I can get 80%+ of the time, and Fireball, Frostbolt, Ice Lance, and a few others I can get 95%+ of the time already. I’ve probably had around 2-3 hours of practice already, though.

I can see in the logs how “close” people are getting and there are definitely people who are casting the spells consistently. But I see others who aren’t even getting close to correct. I will consider turning the threshold down slightly so that it’s a little easier for now since I know the Runemage is the “hot new thing” everyone wants to play, but honestly if you could just get on and cast all 12 runes with 30 minutes of practice then it wouldn’t really be the type of challenge we’re trying to provide for that class.

3 Likes

Logan and I are both having a ton of issues with consistently hitting with the warrior shield this test. Maybe one in 5 swings gets a hit with the shield away?

You mean the shield is registering as though it is between yourself and the target even though you have it off to the side?

Ok, but I tried over and over and over. Part of my issue is im handicapped, I cant stand still well. Mage is what I am in orbus for so if its now physicaly out of reach for me ill just wander about and enjoy the world

It won’t make any noise and acts like i didn’t even swing. . The shieeven with the shield on my back ou to fplay.

I just did a soft reset on the server and made the Runemage rune detection slightly easier.

The problem with this, by the way, is that the lower we make the threshold, the more false positives are going to happen. Where when you go to cast a Fireball spell you end up with an Arcane Ray. So we can’t lower it too much or no one will be able to cast anything consistently at all. It’s better for it to be tougher and to have to get it right than it is for it to be constantly giving you the wrong spell.

Are you sitting in chair? I can try that and do some testing and make sure it’s not messing with it. I don’t think it should but better to be sure.

So if your shield is on your back you have no issues, but if your shield is out sometimes it’s just acting like you didn’t even swing at all?