Alpha Test Feedback Thread 5/5/17

My last post was illegible. The warrior shield will stop functioning and the stun with not work. To fix this I have to restart the client. The hit detection on the sword is lagging or not detecting. This happens even with the shield put away. Also, the giant deer aoe hit me even though I move. On other players screens I didn’t move at all. Lag?

Hmmm…if you’re not moving on other’s screens at all then yeah that would make it sound like a latency issue. I am putting out a client update later today that I can add some additional logging to that we can hopefully use to track down the issue.

Restarting your client shouldn’t in theory have any effect on the Warrior shield working or not unless there’s some sort of bug going on. The next time you quit the game to restart it because of that issue, can you get me your output_log before you turn the game back on? That way I can see if there’s something going on. Instructions for getting it are at the bottom of this page: https://wiki.orbusvr.com/Solving_Technical_Issues

I sit in a barstool, so im at standing height sometimes, but in orbus i need to be able to move a bit to get 1 step behind the warrior or whatever so im just standing. So its lots of little wiggles back and forth. Im guessing its that was causing my problems.

Im not asking you to adjust the system for me, i was just overly frustrated compared to the massive fun from last test.

Yeah, I mean, the actual detection mechanism didn’t change at all, all that’s changed is a) the shapes of the runes themselves, and b) the threshold you have to clear in terms of how accurately you draw them to make them work.

I just want to make sure the system is working like it should be. And of course I want you (and everyone else, and you’re not the only person who I know is frustrated right now, haha) to have fun in the game as well. I’m just also trying to balance that against my desire for the game to have some challenge. It’s a tough issue because VR games are the only games where what you can actually do in terms of your skill (like how well you can draw, or hold your hand steady, for example) actually affects the gameplay.

Really, I think the most important thing is that the Runemage has a high skill ceiling. But that doesn’t mean that it can’t also have a lower skill floor, so that the base level runes are easier to cast, or maybe the amount of damage the spell does is dependent on how well you draw the rune, so you can still cast a base level Fireball spell that does some damage but to get the highest-level Fireball requires much more skill and practice. I’ll give that some thought.

Let me know lowering the skill threshold as I did about 30 minutes ago has made any difference.

4 Likes

Anyone else having windows crashes? I thought it was OBS, but then I tried not even using it and it’s sill happening, Video_scheduler error stop codes that force a reboot. Has happened about 5 times so far, will keep trying.

So it’s not the game crashing and showing you the Unity crash reporter, but actually Windows itself crashing? I don’t think anything we’re doing would cause that but who knows. Would probably either be a Unity-level bug or a graphics driver issue or something…

Yeah, it definitely appears to be on the windows side. I didn’t have any issues last time, and I haven’t changed anything since then, but if it keeps happening Ill clear all video drivers and reinstall newest.

I was not able to open the menu no matter what I did. The only reason to make opening the menu work again was by dieing… Is this a known bug?

Probably stuck in combat?

Shield issue: When the shield stops working, No one can see me holding it but me. When I put it behind my head and pull it out again, then it works, but the sword seems to degrade in detection. The sword might be situational. Maybe no correlation.

Yeah I switched to warrior again and I’m having no luck with the hit detection unless the shield is completely put away right now.

My shield is hitting every time it’s off cooldown, whether I mean to or not.

https://pastebin.com/aC1unPZR

OutputLog

Just out of curiosity, what should we be looking for when trying to gather the new plants? Been running around since the start of the test so far and haven’t seen anything that jumps out at me as a gatherable plant. Any tips?

1 Like

Yeah they’re probably a little too well-hidden right now. They don’t have any ‘sparkles’ on them or anything like that. For example, the green plants that are taller than the grass over near Cenn’s Farm are gatherable.

1 Like

That’s really strange. I was just in-game and played around with it a bit and I was able to get it to work. Is this just with Wererabbits or what monster are you fighitng?

No, not known. Let me know if it happens again and you have a reproducible way of getting it to occur.

So I was just in the game for the last 30 minutes kind of wandering around and watching people play, and it definitely seems like there are people who are able to do the casting pretty consistently. Whether that’s because of practice or the lowering of the threshold I don’t know, but it did seem to me like it was in a good place.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that? If you were having issues before is it better for you now?

2 Likes

Here’s where I stand after a few hours of practicing with the new system:

80% +
Fireball
Frostbolt
Fireworks
Mana Shield
Resurrection

50% +
Arcane Ray
Ice Lance
Arcane Explosion
Polymorph
Decurse

25% -
Pushback
Affliction
Light
Portal

I struggled with everything at the start, but once you get the trick to each spell down it’s decent. Pushback seems to rely really heavily on lining up the 3 points (the top point where you start, the middle point, and the ending point) which I’m terrible at doing in the end.

Thoughts on accuracy scaling the power of a casting? Seems like that would fit well with the low floor/high ceiling.

1 Like