Any concerns on running OrbusVR for Windows Mixed Reality headsets?

I did research how it is a fine alternative headset if you don’t have a Rift or Vive. I’m wondering any issues WMR users might experience for playing Orbus on the headset, since it isn’t technically officially supported right now?

There are some bugs with Windows MR in Orbus. Specifically, haptic feedback doesn’t work. This is primarily a problem with fishing, but the devs added a visual cue to work around this:

There were problems with the tutorial, however that part of the game has been revamped since this post, so it may no longer be relevant:

The developers have said they want to support WMR in the future:

Without having a WMR, I can’t say for sure, but it sounds like WMR works decently with Orbus as long as you can tolerate some minor bugs.

1 Like

I play Orbus using the HP MR headset and controllers. There are a few issues I have during play.

1. Fishing. It’s been mentioned, so I won’t go over it.

2. Runemage-ing. I hesitate in putting this, as there are many things that impact the drawing of spells, but I believe the inside-out sensors are a component of the issues at least. I will occasionally fail a spell because tracking on the controllers can be a little jerky, causing some pointed edges to the drawing where there should be a nice curve, or a straight line. I also suspect latency to be an issue, as I do much better in the separate instance of the player home, vs in town at the dummies when there are lots of players around. As I said, the inside-out tracking is only a component of the issue.

3.My floaty left hand. Both myself and my friend experience this issue with Orbus, and we’re using the same headset. Somewhat regularly, my left hand will just float away from me when it’s been idle for too long. This usually happens for me when I’m practicing runemage, as I’m left handed, so I just let it hang at my side. Not a deal breaker, as it doesn’t seem to happen when the left hand is active. Wouldn’t want your shield hand floating away when playing a warrior. I believe this to be an issue in the way Orbus translates the WMR controller location data, simply based on the fact that it doesn’t happen in any other game.

Other than those things, I don’t really feel as though I have many issues regarding the headset itself within orbus. I personally don’t mind the touchpad as teleportation movement, though I understand that the joystick would make more sense. The touchpad doesn’t really mess with my movement.

Make sure you avoid hitting the ‘windows’ button on the controller though. From what I’ve researched, you can avoid opening the windows home by launching directly from steam. Once you open the windows home though, it stays running in the background, taking up valuable resources.

In short, I think that the WMR will give you a comparable experience to the Vive or Rift, even while unsupported.

I play in a Samsung Odyssey HMD and don’t really experience much difficulty. I’ve noticed the same tracking issues as Dillon_S has, but I don’t feel like the jagged edges that rarely appear on runes has had much effect on the casting, I just suck at it. I also disagree that the hand floating away is an issue with OrbusVR. I’ve experienced the same thing in SkyrimVR, and Rec Room. I’ve only ever had this happen when my left hand is inactive for more then a few minutes, which never happens unless I’m tooling around outside of combat.

The only real downside I’ve experienced is not being able to use the thumb sticks, which really isn’t much of a problem as the touchpads are still plenty sufficient for locomotion.

Windows 10 build 1803 has been released which enables the haptic feedback to the WMR controllers.

Would anyone advise or give a thumbs up on the Mixed Reality Headset? I’m always down for a cheaper alternative. Does it also work in smaller spaces than say the Vive?

Sorry to retread but can you explain what the movement options would be i used the mixed reality headset and not Vive or Rift?

Thanks so much!

Hi Jeffrey, Mixed Reality Headsets are using inside-out tracking system, which means they don’t require sensors, however this comes with the cost of less accurate tracking, especially if the controller moves out of the headset’s camera’s vision (which is there to help tracking). In terms of pricing, the difference between a cheap Mixed Reality headset and the rift is about £100, I used to have a mixed reality headset, but switched to Rift because of the tracking issues, which are mostly an issue with warrior (blocking on one side and hitting on the other).

In terms of movement, MMR headsets have both touchpads like the Vive and thumbsticks like the Rift, however unfortunately the thumbsticks are not compatible with the game right now, so in regards of movement, you will have the same experience as Vive users (locomotion using touchpads, pressing it down to teleport)

Hey there, thanks so much! I appreciate the feedback. Can you elaborate on the tracking issues in regards to warrior? That’d probably be my class of choice.

I just like the idea of not having to mount sensors on the walls, which are a bit unsightly, etc. I don’t have really much/any room for this and my wife will lose her mind if I mount stuff permanently on the walls since we rent.

Yes movement was another question! Locomotion you mean just pressing forward and moving normally with a bobbing motion?

I appreciate it!
-Jeff

Sure :slight_smile: the issue is that if the controller falls outside of the camera’s vision, the tracking will become inaccurate, the movement of the controller will not be registered most of the time, just the rotation of it (which is because the sensor for it is inside the controller itself). Because of this, it will be hard if you are fighting two monsters at the same time, and you are trying to block one while hitting the other. Also I’ve had some issues with the left hand as the shield just went off flying too often as there was no active input from that hand sometimes (as I was just holding it to block), and the tracking will stop if the controller is inactive.

Locomotion: if you are pressing forward the touchpad, you will slide forward (it is also called smooth locomotion)

For mounting sensors, I’m in the same situation as you, so I’ve got a 3D printed mount for them and got them on the wall with Command strips, which will allow me to remove them without leaving a mark or anything :slight_smile:

Would you mind snapping a pic of the mounts?

Also, would you be interested in selling the Mixed Reality? Just a thought!

Thank you for your time!
-Jeff

Here is the link to the rift mount (including pictures and downloadable file for 3d print) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1754041

Also I don’t have the Mixed Reality headset anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall what would you rate your experience?

Hmm, I think I would say 5/10 with Mixed Reality, though that time there was no haptic feedback, while with Rift, it’s about 8-9/10

Well I took a chance and got a mixed reality headset coming my way (it’s within my budget and if this is terrible I know i’d need the rift or vive to enjoy rather than the other way around). I know I’ll need to tweak my setup but I am pretty optimistic overall.

Super stoked to hopefully play this game with everyone.

2 Likes

So I’ve been using the Mixed Reality Headset, overall my experience is positive. The only issues I’m having is random crashes and disconnects. While this could be related to me being on Wifi, I’ve played multiple other MMOs - FFXIV - this way and never had an issue. My internet is pretty reliable and wifi is only 8-10 feet from the router(desk behind couch across from modem where consoles sit).

Any idea what could cause the crashes? Seem to be random, and I get kicked back out to SteamVR.

i5-4590
12GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 1050 ti 4GB
SSD
HP Mixed Reality Headset

Thank you
-Jeff

At the character selection screen there is an option on the left side to switch connection method from default to websocket, it’s more stable for some users :slight_smile: Also if you want to play multiplayer VR games, I would recommend using an ethernet cable rather than wifi, as it will cause unnecessary delay/latency :slight_smile:

Seemed to help, I’ll keep and eye on it. Thanks! I’d love to use wired but putting my PC over next to our media cabinet is like in direct line of site our 10 month old baby. Not going to work, lol.

Has anyone had an issue with Mixed Reality, where the head set flashes black or simply just stops displaying? While tracking stays on?

This happens to be randomly, and I can’t figure out why.

Also if I turn on PC with headset attached recently, the headset is not detected. I have to detach cable and re-attach.

Thank you
-Jeff

I’m not sure about the undetected headset, but the few times I was on a Windows MR headset, I noticed it would do the flicker when I get close enough to trigger the safety boundaries. Do you notice the flicker then also?

I’m not really doing room space, mostly standing or sitting. Searching on google it seems to be a common issue, ranging from defective headset, to cable, to nothing, to software, to hardware.

It seems like it’s impossible to pin down. I could return it to Amazon for another one, just to see if that works. Outside of that I don’t want to troubleshoot 24/7 to figure it out, especially if it’s out of my control.

It happened twice yesterday, but then upon resetting headset, didn’t occur for 1-2 hours. Some days it won’t happen, I don’t get it.

how can u even play orbus with mr u cant reach behind your head it looses tracking instantly