Beta 6 Paladin Feedback

Also the Lightning Strike description in the journal lists that as an AOE taunt, while the libram that does taunt is not listed.

The paladin is fun in group content, but leveling solo or even with one other is pretty painful when waiting on your energy to fill up.

Just a suggestion, but could you make a talent at lvl 5 that trades defense for more dps. Obviously this one is not good for tanking but would be great for leveling and pvp.

Maybe have the books add an energy orb but now you take increase damage.

Not sure if this would work, but anything to keep you engaged would be so awesome.

Other than that, I do want to say you guys are all doing a great job! Love how the game looks.

Level 20 Hammer of Retribution talent seems to do less damage than one single empowered attack does. Not sure if that was intended, but as it stands that makes it kinda worthless since we can throw the hammer for ranged stun attacks or smack things in melee both for more damage and fewer orbs spent.

Been having an issue with throwing the hammer to teleport when mountedā€¦ Occasionally, it seems to dismount me (I know Iā€™m not getting in combat or hitting the buttons!).

I changed my mind on the Hammer of Retribution talent. It could be very useful as a pulling tool (except Iā€™d like to see its range increased, since it doesnā€™t seem to work past about ~5 yards).

Edit: The healing level 20 talent seems worthless. It seemed to heal for about 5-7% (barely a visible pip) of someoneā€™s health. Has anyone else had this experience?

The paladin remains low on DPS. Can you perhaps raise the damage of the basic hammer attack to something like 1/4 or so of an empowered attack? That way we can at least do SOME damage in between empowered attacks? Hitting for ~10k and then ~44 seems a little silly and really annoying when Iā€™m trying to down monsters (particularly in those difficult/impossible-to-solo public events).

The problem with boosting basic hammer attacks, is that you end up with a repeat of the Warrior, where the best solution is to swing your arms as fast as possible, which isnā€™t healthy.

Personally Iā€™m fond of the suggestion from last beta, of giving the basic attack a short cooldown, with a bonus for timing your next swing just as the cooldown ends. It would give something to do, while also making it harder to just dump all your charges, adding to the risk-reward aspect of the class. With a cooldown, youā€™d even be able to allow the Paladin to deal some amount of damage with their basic uncharged attacks.

As an added flavor bonus, it would encourage players to swing the hammer slowly and deliberately, like youā€™d expect from a hammer.

1 Like

I havenā€™t played paladin much so these are just random ideas but is this like the ā€œhit barā€ similar to the ranger precision?

Could the harder/faster or longer the swing make it so that more damage done?

This would basically make it like a warrior (a lot of heaving arm swinging)

been playing the paladin for a while and is my main did the airship dungeon and found it was very easy to lose aggro on the mobs also the solo leveling is very slow the dps low maybe could add another book or two like an aoe dot book and a low damage single target book to fill the gap of waiting for hammer charges

1 Like

Airship is a level 20 dungeon, so it makes sense that you were having SOME difficulty holding aggro if the rest of your group were much higher leveled.

If youā€™re cycling your libram of blessing properly and using the ground smash to generate aoe threat, you should be able to keep the vast majority of the group on you while your party pulls one off at a time. If you can catch those in time with an empowered attack, those generate enough threat usually to pull off even from a mage doing high dps.

Bear in mind that the paladin excels at aoe threat gen, but isnā€™t as good for solo threat gen as the warrior. You (and every tank) will likely lose threat on some of the mobs youā€™re facing as dps comes on heavy

ah dident know the airship was for level 20s XD i tanked it at level 10 all the dps was like 7-9 and the support was level 25 only took like 1hr and 30 minutes spent like 45 minutes wiping on 2nd boss b4 we killed it maybe there should be level suggestions next to the dungeon name . but i was also reading that lots of other paladins are having aggro issues too

Technically you could do it at level 1.it is scales to +/- 4,so a group of Lvl 1s would be equivalent to a group of 16s

can you explain what +/- 4 means please ?

Up 4 or down 4 levels. A couple of examples:

Level 10 mob vs Lvl 1 player: player is level 6
level 10 mob vs level 20 player:player is level 14
Level 10 mob vs level 10 player:player is level 10
Level 10 mob vs level 9 player: player is level 9
Level 10 mob vs level 30 player:player is level 14.

1 Like

hello, when i throw my hammer as a paladin, the hammer wont spin midair,
it will just ā€œfloatā€ with the position it had when i threw it, playing on oculus rift.

And i cannot use Lay on hands, it looks like the ability is on constant 60% cd.

the paladin right now has only 1 unique(non speed) tile, which is for healing. all of the rest only give timing runes, pls fix

pls make atleast hammer raise, attacks, and each book have its own tile

Yeah I have a note to go back through and add more tiles for the new classes. I will definitely do that pre-launch.

1 Like

Can you add one for hitting weak point with the ranger as well @Riley_D?

1 Like

now that the beta is over, i can officially say i never effectively used the lvl 30 rez and the ult.
Starting with the rez, the 2 two biggest problems is how the buff wheres off after a short time, and the fact that it cant be used retroactively. since it cant be used after the fight, u have to decide who you want to use it on, but if they dont die the buff will just ware off making it useless. Not only that, it cannot be used on yourself so the only time it could be of help when you, the tank, isnt tanking. if we could use the rez on ourselves, and/or be able to place it on a person to rez them after death it would make it a lot more useable, and/or make it so the buff doesnt dissapear after a few minutes, because as it is now i cant think of many times i would actually use it
for the ultimate, the problem lies in both the time it takes to generate it, and the length until use. During a full boss fight i usually wont get my ult once. Even when i do get my ult, it takes a few seconds to actually use(having to pull both triggers, and then having to hold grip for a second) usually by this time i am dead. to make it more useable, just make it charge faster and only make it go into you hand if u have the talent which allows you to use it on other people

as far as tanking in general goes, i feel like the paladin falls behind the warrior. While paladin has its own healing, the warrior has provoke heal which is a very reliable steady healing, plus blocks much more damage with its shield than the paladin. despite paladins being better at holding agro on groups of adds, they also die much faster because they have all the agro and dont have a shield to hide behind. around a lvl 8 shards with mixed epic gear i felt the difference in boss dmg pretty hard, and felt like i may have hit a wall at a 9 or 10

Just to be sure was that experience in the last 48 hours or so after I fixed the bug with Paladin vitality scaling being wrong?