So we have a new client-side patch that is going to be available to download here in about an hour. This patch is not going out automatically to everyone, as it has some major changes to how the login system works, so I’m looking for some brave souls to test it for me to make sure that we didn’t miss any major bugs before we fully roll it out.
The patch notes:
- Continued work to attempt to fix issues with people not appearing correctly to other players. In particular, LOD1 versions of avatars should now show correct hair/hair color/eyes/eye color/mouth.
- Fixed mounts not resetting correctly when returned to the Player Avatar pool.
- The login screen is now different behind-the-scenes in how it works. Essentially, now when you reach that screen you are more fully “in the game” than you were before, and therefore it should take longer to get to the login screen, but once you’re there, logging in and switching between characters should be faster.
- Fixed some issues causing bars to show up weird on other players.
- FIxed issues with Runemage spells getting stuck if the Mage moved out of range before the spell expired (happens frequently in Battlegrounds).
- Power Pools (such as in Airship Boss 2) won’t keep spawning over and over again throughout the fight.
Once this is available, if you could particularly test:
- Voice chat, especially when logging out then back in, to make sure it keeps working properly.
- Try to get the “other people show up weird” bug to happen and if so send me a log.
That would be super helpful. I’ll update this thread when the download is available. Thanks!
Also, I wanted to make a note on something I’m not sure was every fully explained. In Reborn, one of the things we have now is an LOD system for the other players so that if someone is far away, or if they are close to you but lots of other people are around, we can do less rendering work so the game still runs smoothly. On PC, the LOD1 is the “lowest” it goes to, and this kicks in when more than 10 players are around (so the 11th farthest person for you will be LOD1). In LOD1, you still see the armor for a character, but the “morphing” of their body shape is disabled. So you will see the correct armor, hair, eyes, hair color, etc., but their body/face shape will just be the default one like how a character is on the character select screen when you first make a character. That’s because we have to use Mesh Renderers instead of Skinned Mesh Renderers which are more expensive, to save CPU processing.
Anyway, this was broken before in that the hair/eyes/other features weren’t showing correctly, but in this build that should be working, but just wanted to note if the body morphing isn’t in place that is not a bug.
Also my intent is to make it so that higher graphics settings have more players at LOD0, but that’s not in yet.