Class rebalancing

Age old topic here, but something that has still never been done.

All dps numbers below are with max gear

Currently mage, with someone who has mastered the class is by far the top dps. By far.

Top dps out of current active players is 110k dps on mage. More of an average is 60-80k. No other class can even come close to this. I am not saying nerf mage, I’d like to see a buff to other classes.

The highest current ranger dps is around 40k. I’ve been told another player at his best was around 50-60k. These kind of rangers are pretty rare. Average ranger dps with max gear is around 20-30k dps.

Current highest scoundrel dps is roughly 50-60k dps. With only 1 player able to hit those numbers. Some hit around 40k. Average for a scoundrel is roughly 20-25k.

Shaman dps currently can achieve the best number with the least effort. Being close range it make the player to have to be a little more aware for boss aoe attacks and such, but current highest dps on average is 40-60k My highest I’ve ever hit is 97k dps. Shaman is more luck based for damage and the class does break often. From what I’ve seen, average dps on Shaman is 30-40k with max gear. That is more not knowing mechanics and much and timing orb drops with boss phases. Some talents may also need to be reworked.

Currently I’d like to see rangers and scoundrels buffed in some way. Either a straight damage buff, or some skilled based buff, or both even. Shaman right now is in an alright place. If the class gets fixed the dps is at a pretty good spot. Maybe a small buff just to keep in line if there isn’t a good crit streak.
Mage is fine where it is, needs zero changes other than talent bugs being fixed and a couple reworks.

10 Likes

Regarding ranger, someone on here (sorry don’t remember who it was) came up with the idea that hitting weak points to also reduce arrow timers to increase skill cap, I still love this idea, would also be good to have it so hitting a weak point would be a “tile” too so we could play around with tilesets a bit more rather than every ranger having the same tiles that we all use, or the healer required tiles that some use on a separate set of gear

But I totally agree that classes need buffing and get more skill related mechanics rather than nerfing the ones doing well

7 Likes

The “dps” category (which is ranger and scoundrel) is only barely above average damage to every other class besides mage. Usually dps category is the hard hitter group, with weak armor. With the stats you are giving the true dps classes for the game are shaman and mage.

1 Like

pls balance!! we need it

I wanted to comment since this topic gets brought up often and we don’t want folks to feel like we’re not reading it, that although we won’t be commenting on any particular class or measure at this time, we do have plans to look at balance passes in the future. I don’t have any more details than that at this point.

I think right now (addressing people in general) the most helpful comments towards balancing could be commenting concretely on the class(es) you play and in which way for example you think they are underpowered, and we’re always open to read suggestion and also data if you have it.

7 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

Definitely following that thread also, just commenting here since it seemed to be a “general-purpose” one. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The thing though with the numbers given it does not represent every class equal. And most of their max potential is not exausted either.

The 110k from a mage was a single time thing that was possible with the help of above average bleed count or maybe not. We will never know xD What do the average good mages do? And what will be the end possible (higher than that for sure btw, got the theory numbers)

We have multiple rangers with average 40-60k.
So basically a very high skill, a looong ass experience and very much nerding out is needed to get to that point though.

The problem with scoundrel is: there is literally no-one who has been playing daily scoundrel for a very long time and also has the talent to learn to optimize dps well (talking about any class in general). So the data for this in practice just proves that the class is not engaging enough for people to bother. A complete guess from my own experience is that it is partially how bad it is and feels on trash or just ranking multiple mobs in general.

Nothing to say about Shaman :sweat_smile:

I am going to try and see if my mood will be right this weekend to maybe finish my long lasting dps class balancing quest/review xD

3 Likes

One thing that would really help with getting combat data and balancing would be an update to the combat log to show what is doing the damage, a basic shot? Bleed? Poison arrow? Charge shot? Would be lovely to see that in the logs rather than guess working it

Also player deaths still never got fixed so still doesn’t show in the log, other stuff that got ignored in the thread I linked above

4 Likes

inhales a reasonable request!

@mathieu_D I have no numbers for the various classes but I have many suggestion threads for different mechanics classes could have lol.

I’d love to see an open discussion if changes were to happen on how the dmg & feel for the gameplay of each class could improve through player skill mechanics and class mechanics (not just numbers).

I want to see! If you need someone around to give class buffs hit me up, I’m around if needed

So I’ve been thinking about this a bit and while you’re doing the class balancing it might be worth changing the talent system a bit

Currently you dont get your 1st talent until level 5, but you can queue for dungeons from level 1 and to do your job in that dungeon you need to pick your 1st talent to be able to use some classes, rangers choosing between precision/rapidity, warrior getting the ability to heal with provoke, mages getting to choose between lend a hand or not

You could argue that levelling is fast now so it’s not important, but these are choices for main mechanics of those classes and without them you have to play those classes wrong before you can play them correctly and fixing that during class rebalancing would be a good way of going about it

4 Likes

To be honest, that would be the best way to balance classes any maybe give more playstyles to the players. There are always going to be a meta in the game. But I can’t remember when was the last time I spect in the DOT side of the mage tree because how weak it is comparing to the raw damage side.

A workaround for this would be to not allow queueing before level 5 (or even higher - 8 is “dungeon ready”) - 95% of the experience with lvl 1s in random dungeons I had were super-negative, tanks thinking they are a dmg dealers, people queueing as tanks who were mages, people not able to move or use their weapons, small kids dropping their headset to the floor after 2mins of dungeon and others simply vanishing outta the dungeon or logging off.

Why is that even possible, and how the heck do they even find the queue button in the, like, first 10mins trying out a game XD… At least 1-2 hours to get familiar with buttons and controls before throwing yourself in a group content shouldn’t be too much asked.

3 Likes

I had my head set on the carpet once and my cat meowed into it for like 5 minutes straight and clicked on some buttons on my controller. When I came back, I was in a pvp arena…

I’ve spoken on this a number of times across many an orbus related platforms, and as my previous thread has fallen to the side, ill reiterate said feelings, opinions, and suggestions here to the best of my ability. This was the original post of mine; Classes, Talent Trees, and Player Choice

It is my strong feeling, and I am not the only one who feels this way, that all the classes need to be looked over. Some more than others, the bard needs something, ANYTHING to be fixed first and foremost, but all classes need to be looked over tweaked and reworked in at least some way. In every one of the classes, there’s at least one talent that is an auto-pick, with the other being no comparison. In most cases, it’s more than one if not a whole talent tree. These ‘options’ are not actually options and offer no actual choice to the player.

Some examples are the Warrior Lv5 Talent “Righteousness: Your Provoke Combo heals you for a small amount.” This Talent has no comparison to the other ‘option’, it is mandatory to take this to be able to even call yourself a warrior. the access to self-heal is a necessary and non-negotiable part of the Warrior’s kit. I’d even argue that Warrior, as a tank class, should not even have a Damage based talent tree as it is essentially useless 95% of the time.

Another Example is the Ranger Lv10 Talent “Rapid Charge: Your Charged Shot charges in 1 second instead of 2 seconds.” Without it, Ranger’s only real interrupt takes 2 second to charge, which is much too long to accomplish anything and said Charged shot is Ranger’s main source of damage, so much so that this is another auto-include in Ranger build’s because of its importance to a healthy DPS and performance as a Ranger. The other ‘option’ is “Improved Charge: Your Charged Shot applies a 2-second, 35% Slow effect to the target in addition to your Hunter’s Mark.” Which, while decent in my opinion does not compare to the previously mentioned talent. I’d even go as far as to argue that Rapid Charge, like Righteousness, should be an integral part of the Ranger’s base mechanics. Improved Charge is good in concept and could be part of the base kit as well, but I would take Rapid Charge being integrated any day of the week. It could just be replaced with an equal but different talent to counterpart the Slow’s addition to your Hunter’s Mark.

Along with this, the ‘Rapidity’ side of Ranger has been nerfed into the point of near uselessness after its reign as top dog for more of Preborn. It should either be balanced, talents included, to be on the same playing field as Precision, or be replaced entirely. By what, I couldn’t say, but either make it an actually option, or remove it, because at current there is no option.

To give a 3rd example, I’ll point to the DOT side of Runemage. I’ve been told it was, like Rapidity, once the top-dog, being nerfed into submission. I cannot speak on this as i was around for neither event, but my point is all the same. If a Talent is so weak or broken that it is not actually an option, than it should not exist and should be changed. Thematically, the idea of a ‘Rune Mage of Plague and disease’ is very much a cool one, and if they numbers and mechanics didn’t decrease your damage by choosing them, it could make for a fun style of mage to play. At current tho, I’ve been told that turning your fireball into a DOT actually reduces the total output of each spell, which is a very sad fact.

The point I’m trying to make here is that across the board, there is something missing, broken, or wrong with each class. If you give a player ‘options’ but there is no actual choice in them, then it becomes a waste of space, words, and overall potential for the class. You could easily ‘double’ the number of effective classes in the game by purely making good, working, and appropriate changes to the talent tree, to the point, that when talking about one’s class you would no longer say what class you play, but what -kind- of that class you play.

In the end, if you build this beautiful world for the player to enjoy, but give them broken toys to play within this world, then what is the point of the world you built at all. At current nearly half, at least, of the talents that exist are functionally not a choice one can make, if they even work at all in the case of Bard. As they continue to go on being useless, you’ve handed you player a box of tools to play the game with, half of which don’t even work.

1 Like

While I agree with most of this, the ranger isn’t as one-sided as it may seem. Rapidity is the only talent of the rapidity side that is much more obvious about being less viable, but the other 3 (excluding rapid charge, because everyone takes that) are all up to the player. I’ve noticed several rangers taking multishot, overcharge, or needler, some even taking two or all of those. While Precision does have higher dps cap than Rapidity, the talents overall aren’t too bad. It’s just Precision and Rapid charge that are always chosen.

2 Likes

A bump so that this thread isnt dismissed or forgotten, as it themes are important

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.