Closed Alpha Feedback Thread: April 20th MARK II

Another suggestion:

-Is there any plans to add a screen that shows stats, like strength, crit, atk power, and so on? It would be nice to see health as a number as well.

I had this problem in a party also with one other player. When we came down the stairs from Highsteppe, we picked up the quest for ghosts from the NPS to the left, then we killed the ghosts for a while to complete the quest, each made a couple trips to the graveyard at Highsteppe, returning to the second portal stone by teleport. Then made our way back to the quest giver to complete the quest. (no reward?) Then we headed back down the path and toward Guild City. I think I got a bit ahead of my companion and then we couldnā€™t find each other for a while. I used the compass and could find his mark which was stationary on the road, but he wasnā€™t there. I could walk around the invisible location indicated by the compass or walk through it and see it flip from in front of me to behind me. I had sort of given up on him, but then wander over a hill toward that little town with all the wolves around it and the single guard and graveyard (didnā€™t catch the name) and found him there. I checked my compass and it still pointed to a place on the road instead of to him.

Food for thought.

Alex (Mourtegoul)

1 Like

So a bug I found was when I was teleporting on the right side of the lake heading to the guild city it gets more and more narrow at the very end getting as close to guild city as you can on that side thereā€™s one square you can teleport to I went to this one then when I tried turning around to head back the way I came all of my teleportation squares disappeared and was no longer able to teleport anymore so had to kill myself in order to fix it. To help with location itā€™s on the wrong side of the lake heading to guild city on the right hand side where the giant cliff/hill is.

Normally what I do in a situation like that is first try using locomotion to move often than works if you were able teleport anywhere. Secondly I used the Warriors sword throw to get out of most of all stuck situations. Just now I went about it.

Wow that does sound awesome! Would you plan on keeping the player limited to having only one turret out at a time, as it currently is, or allow players to have one of each type out at the same time?

Iā€™m thinking that itā€™ll probably be the first one, as being able to have both out could be OP. In the arena, one person defeated me and two others alone through clever use of the turret, the Poison orb, and the healing orb.

1 Like

And what was that one personā€™s name, Pyrarrows? Do you recall? MWAHAHAHAHAHA :man_with_turban:

1 Like

As I said, very clever. :smiley: I started using the turret a lot more after battling you in the arena. That turret really makes a fun mechanic!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think that Iā€™ve seen it mentioned, but I did notice that when logging into a character, the login menu was directly on top of where I was standing. Would it be possible to move it back about a foot?

Context
Played the game for 12+ hours on Thursday, ~8 on Friday, and ~1 on Saturday. Leveled up all 4 classes to 8, got full sets of ā€œof the plainsā€ gear for all 4. Ran the dungeon 3 times (defeated final boss once), killed the world boss and all known elites multiple times. Fished at various locations and explored relatively extensively but not completely. I did not participate in PvP, or the chicken hunt. I did play in the last pre-alpha playtest before this Alpha but no others.

I apologize in advance for the length of this document. I tried to break it up and label it for legibility and convenience. :slight_smile:

Praise:
This game is already amazing and itā€™s only in early alpha. Kudos to Riley and the rest of the dev team for the rapid pace of development, their commitment to iteration, their extensive communication and the vision for the game and world itself. This is literally the first game of itā€™s type in human history as far as Iā€™m concerned. Absolutely incredible work, I think this game is going to be incredibly successful.

The fact that each update not only has a ton of new features going in but also receives fixes in realtime during the playtest due to direct interaction between players and the developers is just awesome.

The circle to grab loot system was such a good addition, as was the compass. I love that we have names for places now! It really helps being able to tell someone weā€™ll meet at the Lakewood Inn, or that Iā€™m just south of Narrow Orchard. I really canā€™t wait to see Guild City full of players hawking their goods, NPC merchants, trading stalls, quest givers, etc.

I know a lot of people have complained about the runemage glyph drawing, but I will say that after spending some time with it, I was able to get it to become more and more reliable, and even started to be able to have multiple spells going at once as well as adding flourishes and dramatic movements to the projectiles. It really felt like it was a skill I was mastering moreso than my character, which was nice. (Similar feelings about the ranger and musketeer aiming).

I hate to say this as part of me wants to play non-stop, but I think the periodic and limited nature playtests is absolutely the way to go to keep up player interest and density, especially given the group-centric nature of the game.

I also want to give a shout out to the player community around this game as it is absolutely wonderful. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve met a single toxic player. I realize part of this is due to the current bar of entry, but itā€™s been a breath of fresh air compared to playing a lot of other games right now. Everyone Iā€™ve met in Orbus has been friendly and helpful at best to just quietly doing their own thing at worst. I realize this is just my own experience, others may have had different encounters.

Feedback Disclaimers!

1. I absolutely love this game. None of this feedback is meant in any way other than to be constructive and helpful.
  2. I tried to record all my play sessions so if additional context is needed/requested, I can probably find some footage of it happening.
  3. I realize many of these have already been reported by others, but I figured Iā€™d be thorough. (If there is a better way to submit these, let me know)

Feature Requests for Consideration:

• Major: Please consider updating it so switching a weapon switches you to an alternate paperdoll with associated non-weapon gear which persists so we donā€™t need to switch outfits each time we switch roles. If the time it takes to do this is an intended part of the limitation, Iā€™d rather have some type of timer than needing to poke through my gear. This especially becomes an issue if you have full sets of gear for all 4 classes.
  • Major: Loot bag accumulation in the world is fairly problematic for performance and even for making it difficult to look for a specific drop. Maybe each loot drop has some form of visible timer, so you know you only have a limited time to loot it before it disappears. (Note: I realize this was recently fixed to have a 30 min decay timer, but there are a lot of areas with high mob density/kill rate like the newbie yard and wolf pack areas where you can pile up a LOT of loot bags in that amount of time.)
  • Moderate: Show when someoneā€™s mic is turned off, and/or when they pick to be in non-communication mode. (If/when a no-communicate flag/option is added)
  • Moderate: Targeting allies with buffs and heals, given that players (especially tanks) need to be constantly repositioning is really tricky. I noticed that the orbs donā€™t fire until you release the trigger, so maybe holding the trigger down could ā€œtarget lockā€ your heal, and then releasing would hit them, even if they move?
  • Moderate: There definitely seems to be some odd/unexpected behavior with warrior sword impacts, which may be leading to some of the issues with aggro. I found that sometimes it would be making the impact sound, but no damage seemed to be occurring. Other times, especially with certain mobs (flying ones like Wyverns, and the final dungeon boss) it seemed like it might be a hit box collision issue. One teammate found he was only able to hit the boss when it was on top of him by swingng backwards away from the boss.
  • Moderate: Runemage spell range before dissipation is shorter than muskeeter and ranger. Not sure if this is something youā€™d have to modify with a runestone in the future but it made it difficult to pull, or to hit the stalactites in the dungeon but having it be even 25% further would make a big difference and be more consistent with other classes.
  • Moderate: Being able to see my damage differently than that of other players would be really helpful, to ensure Iā€™m effectively hitting (particularly critical with the warrior).
  • Moderate: Increased notification when Iā€™m being attacked from behind. This is probably not an easy problem to solve in VR compared to 2d screens but Iā€™ve seen a lot of people die simply because they didnā€™t notice something was chomping on their ass.
  • Moderate: Found myself wishing for some type of /who feature a la old school muds or everquest, where you can get a list of players online and their locations (unless they go anonymous). Maybe youā€™d have to go to a specific in-game location for this or something.
  • Moderate: Please consider expanding inventory somewhat. As of now there is not enough space in the inventory to have one of each equipment. I realize thatā€™s probably not the long term intent, but without a storage chest yet, we end up needing to destroy items to get more.
  • Moderate: Not sure how exactly this would work, but the character selection screen right now is completely silent. It would be nice to have a built in audio and mic check before you get into the game and have to ask other players to verify.
  • Minor: One issue I saw with the warrior taunt is that due to taunt only putting you on the top of the list by a narrow margin, any ongoing damage would likely pull it off you instantly, so it was common even on trash mobs to need to chase after them. We tried having the DPS wait, but in order to really lock in aggro you need them to wait a good long while. This may be part of the above issue, but one notion would be to add a significant aggro burst to shield slam, so you could at least teleport in and slam to get itā€™s attention and then focus on swinging.
  • Minor: The airship turn can be a little nauseating for some. It may help to make it more of a slow smooth turn over a longer period of time.
  • Minor: Consider allowing mob self-heals to be telegraphed and interrupted by shield bash and maybe even one of the respective types of orbs/arrows/spells.
  • Minor: Consider weighting drops to be based on current class to some degree.
  • Minor: Unless we are expected to sell or deconstruct equipment drops, having items not drop for you at all if you already have them would help alleviate the piling up of item drops and keep excitement up when one does drop.
  • Minor: It would be really nice to have more ambient environment noises (crickets at night, birds during the day, gusts of wind on cliff sides, water next to rivers, etc). For the most part right now it seems to be just world music or combat music, and the world music cuts in and out at odd intervals.
  • Minor: I actually really like that once you got close enough to a quick-jump spot (stairs, buildings, bridges, etc) that you could do a mini-quick-travel maneuver, it helped break up the travel repetition movements. I realize this probably counts as a bug, but maybe some element of it can be retained.
  • Minor: Not sure if it would be possible for the portal to actually show the destination in realtime, or even just a static preview (or even the sigil for the destination) but knowing where you are about to warp to would be really nice for both ritual practice as well as griefing protection (for the future).
  • Minor: Would be cool if there was some way to take a quick screenshot in game. (If there is a way to do this, I donā€™t know it)

Bugs

Major Bugs:

• Audio: Players can sometimes not hear each other. We can see each otherā€™s speaker icons showing up, and some party members can hear each other, but itā€™s odd. Zoning/relogging seems to fix it usually.
  • UI: Sometimes players name/level frames above their heads show as blank level 0ā€™s
  • Movement/UI/Navgen: Inclined terrain is really spotty with teleportation movement, happens throughout the game, but is extra rough in some of the new areas added this playtest.
  • UI: Interacting in the menu and especially the inventory is really tricky. Itā€™s very easy to close the submenu you are in, or select an item without meaning to select it, which causes it to swap places with the next item you slide over. Not sure if this needs a higher threshold of poking to count as ā€œselectionā€ or some other approach, but it can be frustrating and cumbersome. Itā€™s often difficult to effectively ā€œmouse overā€ to get the tooltip information.
  • Other: Largely reported already but players can end up in an empty nega-zone, where no mobs or other players exist.

Minor Bugs:

• Art/Worldbuilding: LOD issues on the central torch object in the temple. Object disappears at medium-short distance but VFX remains.
  • Mob-Spawning: Sometimes the tongue demon will spawn floating over water or partially underground and canā€™t be interacted or fought with and just seems to stay there indefinitely.
  • Audio: The spawning (or maybe the death, or maybe the pod launch) audio associated with the Elongata plant boss doesnā€™t clean up properly. It seems like this can stack, leading to ambient white noise and is deafening at the spawn location, long after the mob is dead.
  • Interaction: Trying to pick up anything off the ground as a musketeer with left hand (I shoot right-handed) usually results in grabbing my turret the first time instead. With the new circle loot system I only really noticed this this time with torches in dungeons. Maybe add the circle to grab to them?
  • Synchronization: While holding a torch in the dungeon, everyone saw the same thing, but when anyone threw a torch, the thrower saw it sail as expected wherever they threw it but everyone else sees it fall to the throwerā€™s feet. Then anyone can pick it up from where they see it and it disappears on the other playerā€™s views.
  • UI: When in a full group, the list of entries in the options submenu are truncated so you donā€™t see and canā€™t select some of the bottom options, like logout. I had to drop my group in order to click logout.
  • UI: It seemed really hit or miss if you could see the teleporation arc previews from other players. I might be wrong but it seemed like the longer I played the less I saw them.
  • UI/Fishing: When fishing from the bridge between the Corner Path and the dungeon and fort, I got the the message to Pull and Reel, and then I furiously reeled for upwards of a minute (the line was fully red) and then stopped. The line turned white again until I started reeling and it turned red again. The line didnā€™t break and it was still in the water but I couldnā€™t do anything with it. We eventually figured out if you put it away and pull it back out, it shows your successful fish catch. Not sure if location matters, but I didnā€™t see this happen anywhere else.
  • UI/Fishing: The ā€œPull!ā€ and ā€œReel!ā€ and ā€œBig Bass!ā€ text is mirror reversed when it pops up.
  • UI: Not sure if this due to my height or not, but the compass appears under my left armpit.
  • UI: Sometimes North would disappear from the compass. I found this for sure happening all the way at the north end of the map, north of the Lakewood Inn, but I believe it happened a few other times.
  • Combat: Itā€™s still pretty common to get stuck in combat.
  • UI: Sometimes Iā€™d pick up a piece of gear and the letters would just be unreadable blocks until I dropped it and picked it back up again.
  • UI: Sometimes Iā€™d pick up a piece of gear and it would say something like ā€œBreastplate of the Plainsā€ but it would have an icon for gloves, or even a question mark (happened late in the playtest).
  • World Boss: There were a few ways to cheese the Elongata boss that could be detrimental. We found that from certain distances and locations (such as the ledge overlooking the plant or even just at max range in his area) we could fire at him to do damage, and heā€™d spawn adds but they would not aggro. This over time lead to an escalating pile of mobs spawning and not cleaning up.
  • World Boss: This might be intended, but the death pod projectiles from Elongata seemed to have infinite range. At one point I moved all the way to Leisa Falls and they were still coming. One player actually got hit at the Graveyard a few minutes after they respawned (not sure exactly what their circumstances were).
  • Newbie Balance: Not exactly a bug, but Level 1 players have a difficult time leveling up when there arenā€™t a ton of them around Cennā€™s farm to wail on mobs, including experienced players with full sets of plains gear for the class. Level 2 and beyond seems to even out a bit, because at least then you can slowly kill low level monsters if need be, but level 1 can be rough. A contributing factor to this is that Cennā€™s Farm has a fairly wide range of levels and mob types, as well as high density, (and high respawn, which makes sense) which can make it particularly challenging for a level 1 of any class.
  • UI: Compass voice triggering was kinda iffy. Sometimes it seemed like it was based on the angle you held it instead of distance from your head and sometimes vice versa.
  • UI/Combat: Again, not sure if this is a height thing, but I need to crouch pretty low in order to perform my shield barrier ability which is rough on the knees after a while.
  • Navgen: There were a few places where mobs would take really weird paths to get to aggroing players, and similarly they would reset if players moved to certain locations. Saw this happen reliably with the wolves north of Narrow Orchard, around certain clumps of trees.
  • Ability Behavior: Not sure if this is a bug or not, but there were a number of times as a warrior where I noticed my shield was nearly broken when combat ended so I waited for it to regenerate and it never would. I used the exit-combat bug fixer but in the end I needed to shield barrier, destroy it, and then wait for it to come back.
  • AI/Telegraphs: Not sure exactly what causes this, but I saw a number of times where a mob would telegraph an attack in one direction and perform it in another. Noticed it the most with Dragonbugs in the newbie yard. Believe I saw it also with the large Pigmen.
  • Corpse Decay: Mobs generally disappear as soon as their death animation plays, which can feel a little jarring or even disappointing (in the case with massive world and dungeon bosses). They definitely shouldnā€™t stick around for long, but maybe 10 seconds would help smooth out the transition/give a chance for the team to pose around the body.
  • Spawn Behavior: The elongata world boss would often respawn extremely rapidly (<60 seconds) after death, regardless of player positioning near the stones.
  • Encounter Resetting: The stalactites in the final boss dungeon room didnā€™t seem to reset right away when the boss couldnā€™t path to someone and reset. We waited for a while and decided to leave the dungeon, reset the whole thing and try again. Interestingly though, we had an AFK member sitting in the middle of the dungeon so after the rest of us waited outside for a bit, we went back in and checked the boss again for the hell of it and the stalactites were back. Not sure if this was a case of them coming back immediately but the visuals didnā€™t match until we moved out and came back, or some type of timer or distance check or what.
  • Art: Half of the rangerā€™s helm of the plains doesnā€™t display when equipped.
  • UI/Ability: As musketeer, if your orbs regenerate while your gun is sheathed, the orbs appear around your empty hand.
  • UI: Sometimes it seemed like the compass would not correctly direct you to your groupmates. This was a little difficult to confirm.

Bonus Question!
What is the contextual name of the game world? Is it Orbus?

And lastly, I just want to reiterate how amazing this game, its devs and the player community all are.

(Edit to steal Fluffyā€™s pretty formatting)

11 Likes

the mage has a Frostbolt that slows but it is only useful when casted at long range because the slow is not enough to actually kite the enemy. I think the mage CC should root the target for a few seconds. that might help the mage in PvP due to the difficulty landing spells on a moving target.

1 Like

Thanks, Draven, you just saved me from having to write my own long, long post :smile: I agree with everything you said. Iā€™ll just echo a few points which are especially important to me:

Spellcasting
I agree that Orbusā€™s system is difficult, maybe even frustrating, in the beginning. It is certainly at the very opposite end of the typical MMO, where tapping a single key guarantees the spell you want to cast will sail out to hit your auto-targeted opponent. But this is what I love about it. You absolutely can get extremely reliable results out of Orbusā€™s system, but it takes practice. Mastering each individual spell takes time. But by the end of this play test, I felt I had a >90% success rate with all of them. And believe me, when I played in the February test, I struggled forever to get my first portal spell to work. By the end of this one, I could bring up any of the portals almost effortlessly. It just takes practice ā€“ and shouldnā€™t mastering the arcane arts require at least that?

Then, after youā€™ve put in the practice time, you realize that drawing the runes is not the skill cap: cast frequency and control are.

• Developing the skill to cast the next spell while your first is still in air (without disrupting its trajectory too much), even having the next ready to fly within a second of the first leaving your wand, will set an adept mage apart from a novice.
  • Controlling spells in-air and moving them in unexpected ways, while not always useful against mobs, will make the runemage a viable (read: lethal) class in PvP. It is the only class whose attacks can appear to miss their targets and then U-turn to hit them in the back. Is this easy? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. This level of control will set an expert mage apart from the adepts.

I love this system. I love having to memorize the runes. I love having to find some of them in the world. I love having to experiment to get them to work as I want them to. Many games have promised to ā€œlet you feel like a wizard,ā€ but none have come close to what Orbus offers. I hope the core of the system doesnā€™t change. Just give me more!

Musketeer
I think itā€™s an extremely fun class. I felt constantly engaged, both mentally and physically, in every fight. The turret is genius. Once weā€™re able to configure our ammo set, Iā€™d love to see more orb types be added. Itā€™s such an extensible class with the potential for a ton of experimentation.

Well, again, Draven said it all for me and said it well. Congratulations and thank you to the Orbus team for building such a fun, beautiful, stable game (I think downtime over the 48 hours could be best measured in seconds?) The community is great and I look forward to spending more time with all of you! :man_with_turban:

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if some of my points have already been brought up, but here goes! The caveat is I havenā€™t played as much as most other people here. I only got to nearly level four on one class (Musketeer) since I didnā€™t have all that much time to play.

Speaking of, lets get bitter to begin with - Unless thereā€™s going to be a lot more quests roaming around, even at x3 xp it feels laboriously slow to get to even level two. Especially considering the fact that the level one area has enemies that are level three with self healing that can make even a four man parties efforts redundant.

Speaking of it also doesnā€™t help that most foes have bulky health bars that mean most fights are down to the final strands of health points. - I understand that the idea of this game is to travel with others always, but the fact is that canā€™t be the case all the time. Sometimes one might want to wander on their own.

Now, if you want to encourage players to roam around on their own, please - PLEASE - increase warrior damage. When one of my biggest swings can only accomplish four damage, you get tired out woefully quick - the ā€˜Wii Waggleā€™ ends up being the only effective tactic when your trying to grind mobs and not get a tired out wrist/arms.

That said, with this I discovered my favourite class thus far - The Muskteer. Thus far itā€™s awesome having lots of tools for situations, tossing the turret behind an enemy so my warrior companionā€™s shield isnā€™t blocking the shots, dealing damage and healing companions on the fly, Iā€™m tempted to say the fact the power shots are randomised is a cool thing, forcing you to adapt on the fly.

Despite my hate of the lack of being able to viably solo this game, the co-op interactions are indeed rather lovely, Itā€™s a shame I never got to try out the dungeon but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s fantastic.

I think thatā€™s all I can say with a hint of authority from my limited time - Make the leveling experience a little more convenient, making enemies weaker or buffing player damage outside of dungeons. Iā€™d dare say increase out of combat move frequency or fill the world up a little - Obviously itā€™s a little empty from what I experienced once you go down the stairs near the starting farm. - I doubt itā€™ll remain empty before long however. :smiley:

Speaking of, lets be blunt here - What you lot have accomplished thus far is -VERY- promising. As a kickstarter backer I already feel validated in my choice to fund you guys. Youā€™ve got a stable engine that screams being scale-able with ease - I look forward to playing more with the next Alpha event!!!

((Additional Minor Grumble - I like the fact you do patch it mid test to add new stuff in and some pinpoint bug fixes and whilst I am aware that Unity - As you said - is bad with patching, but can you lay off them during the limited testing window? I sadly donā€™t have the best of download speeds here, it was frustrating that one of my play sessions that I planned to put most of my time into was sundered because of another patch release. Itā€™s a minor grumble, this is alpha after all, patchers gonna patch and all. :stuck_out_tongue: ))

Alot has already been said, so iā€™ll try to keep to things I havenā€™t really seen touched on. Im also stealing Dravenā€™s formatting.

Feature Requests for Consideration:

• Ability to move around on the deck of the Airship freely, or at least fixed teleport spots we can move to, like on the edges so we can take in the view.
  • Airship turning to be less harsh.
  • Some form of Push-to-Talk if possible.
  • Fishing is super fun, I would love if some of the lakes / oceans (maybe? :o) had docks you could fish off of, near fishing shops if that is going to be a thing, or part of a town?
  • Some kind of an indicator that your Fishing bobber might soon attract a fish, like it shaking a bit.

Character Customization

• Eye color variants for the different eye types would be cool.
  • Hair
  • Base clothing variants

Bugs

Warrior

• Sword Throw is completely broken, clipping though pretty much everything. In particular, this leads to the following:
  • Throwing the sword off of the airship leads to you still being attached to it. See: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/136996621
  • Allows you to teleport through walls. In addition, Areas where invisible walls exist allow you to teleport onto the skybox, with no way down. See: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137224779 (Time is at 5:50 in the video. Prior to that is us getting into a camp and up into the Pass, both places we shouldnā€™t be able to get to.)
  • Not seen in the previous video, using Sword Throw in your player house allows you to fall out of the world, or teleport up to the second floor that is otherwise inaccessible.

Runemage

• I unfortunately do not have any footage of this, but after fishing for some period of time with my right hand, swapping the wand into my right hand made it so I was unable to cast spells using my right hand. If I put it into the left, I could. Swapping to Warrior and using Sword throw from my right hand DID work, however. I believe a restart fixed this.

• Due to the somewhat bugginess of casting spells, I once drew a rune for a Fireball, and it recognized it as the starting rune for Portal. While this portal was active, I could not cast offensive spells until it dissipated.

Fishing

• I dont expect this to be an issue normally, but just in case.
  • Attempting to fish off the edge of the world causes your bobber to disappear, before eventually lodging itself in the players eye. Only a full restart fixes this, putting teh rod away or switch off of it did not work. See: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137224779?t=23m07s
  • The line is not visible in the video, but it was leading from the end of the rod into my left eye.

General Observations and Feedback

World

• I encountered alot of getting stuck on geometry using Trackpad Locomotion over Teleporting. Examples:
  • Sunflower field near the starting area is impossible to move through without teleporting.
  • Upon teleporting to the starting town, on your walk to the airship, you can become snagged on the first house on the way there.

Classes

Runemage

• I played exclusively Runemage, and found casting to be hit or miss sometimes, even when being extremely slow and deliberate. The starting Rune for the Teleport spell being the largest offender.
  • The Ability to cast another spell while the first one is in flight could pose problems. While this does push the Runemage into a more skill based playstyle, it also pushes it to emphasis speed. This also poses a problem, as while channeling Arcane Ray, you cannot prime another spell until it finishes.
  • I personally do not think you should be allowed to channel another spell while the first one is in flight.

Further Feedback actually, though im sure it doesnt need to be said: With a few Runemages around, the game really starts to chugg with everything going on. This is especially problematic with VR.

Yeah I tried locomotion and everything I was just completely stuck I couldnā€™t move at all.

Were you having that issue the whole time or only early on? I noticed that and it was being caused by the lights in the Runemage spells being set up wrong. I fixed it with a patch toward the end of the first day of testing. After that it seemed much better on our low end test rig.

I was only around large groups of people the first day, I steered clear after that, so I unfortunately cant say for sure. If that was fixed thats great!

I apologize for the lateness of this feedback. I wrote up a big long document on my thoughts but then time sort of got away from me.

My perspective is as a mobility impaired (seated only) female player and since I didnā€™t see a whole heck of a lot of people with either of those perspectives providing feedback I thought better late than never. I played exclusively runemage this time and had a great time doing it!

I think this game is pretty special and am so jazzed to be part of the experience.

• enjoyed the character customization, particularly the eyeballs. Once i located the menu it was quick and easy and pretty fun to do. I know thatā€™s a small thing, but lots of games mess character creation. I found the mouths kind of disappointing both in variety and in cool lady type looks. The more neutral type mouths were good though. Any thoughts about little noses (maybe anime-style ones?)

• during the character creation i had to be in the exact right spot to view the menu and select the options. From where the game loaded me in, the interface was invisible and had to sort of carefully crane my head back to see them.

• one further suggestion about character creation: maybe a slider that can change the scale of my character to be smaller/bigger. I donā€™t know what all you have in mind for character creation options but i think having some size variety (particularly height wise) would be so awesome.

• i would really love to be able to turn off the music and/or turn down the spell sounds. I had some trouble hearing people at any distance because my spells were super loud and with the music it was even harder to hear people.

• I had some problems with the voice chat as well. I noticed that every time we zoned between the invisible zone borders the mute settings would reset. Also semi-regularly, my party members would stop being able to hear me (a game reboot did solve this issue) they could see the icon above my head indicating i was talking and they could hear me through the compass still.

• I lthink the compass is a super rad idea and itā€™s so neat to use it as a communication device, however, as a seated female player (niche, i know) the compass was located inside my left breast. I had to sort of reach though my armpit to get it which made it not as fun to use. I also hit myself in the face with my controller a few times trying to get it close enough to stay on so my party could hear me.

• I found the placement of my health bar pretty useful but it was sometimes hard to know when additional mobs were aggroā€™d on me. I couldnā€™t really hear it, additional feedback would be nice

• Runemage casting is SO fun and very low impact for someone who canā€™t move around so well. I did have some trouble with consistency. It felt like i could draw a nonsense shape and get at least some sort of spell, but I couldnā€™t consistently get the one i wanted,

• it would be helpful to have some sort of visual cue of what the spells should look like so i know what iā€™m aiming at. I have ideas on that but this post is getting really long already.

-The race to do enough damage to kill your foe before it rips your face off is quite fun. The nice big damage with the frailness of the class adds quite a bit of excitement to the playstyle, it also makes failed spellcasts or missed projectiles really costly, canā€™t be lazy or youā€™ll die!

• Fighting with warriors was a big pain because my spells were getting mostly blocked. with 1 I could be strategic and it felt kinda cool to have to plan where to go/cast so it wouldnā€™t get blocked but any more than one warrior and I felt like i might as well just be shooting fireworks into the air. the monster would be surrounded. I had more luck with the arcane ray than projectiles but that was way less fun.

• it would be nice to be able to cancel a spell thatā€™s loaded but not cast. Especially since itā€™s kinda hard to cast the right one consistently. having to cast the entire arcane ray when i meant to cast a portal or fireball was kind of a drag.

• the portals are super fun. I love hard they are to cast but i was disappointed that the one with the end run of ā€œHā€ and the ā€œhourglass/eight shapedā€ one took me to the same place.

• As mentioned by several other people, it would be aces if my damage numbers were a different color than all the other damage numbers (maybe yellow), so I could tell what was hitting and for how much.

• it would be nice to have a push-to-talk option for chat. I know thereā€™s a disable chat, but i donā€™t want to disable chat, i just want to not broadcast my kid/life (which is pretty loud) into the game space

Lastly I had so darn much fun. This is one of the first VR games that have been as seated person friendly as this one!

2 Likes

Just a quick aside- you donā€™t have to get the compass close to your face (you can hold it pretty far away), just tilt it until it turns red. While it is red- party chat is engaged.

it was changed during the CBT. Originally, you had to hold it close to your face, but is of the second day, you only needed to tilt it til it turned red.