Closed Alpha Feedback Thread: April 20th

Just had our first hard crash of the day…not bad for 10 hours in. Adjustments have been made and things are back online. Hope you’re all having a good time!

3 Likes

Just wanted to discuss the runemage spells a little, I don’t know how they felt last test but I’m curious for input who ran one then.

I’m just going off the current “known” list that’s posted in a few places online and what they assumed the correct drawings were for each spell.

Frostbolt: This seems like the most reliable one to draw, I rarely end up with another spell when using this. It’s great for soloing as you can start with this and it takes a lot longer for mobs to actually get to you. Seems to do about roughly ~65% of the damage fireball does.

Fireball: I was doing really well with this and now it’s sort of falling apart. It seems like any time you don’t let go of the trigger on your way back up from drawing the first line ASAP it will screw up the whole drawing entirely. I was easily soloing the level 8 pigmen at level 6 with just frostbolt/fireball but now I can’t seem to keep casting fireball consistently. As far as mechanics of the spell itself it’s just solid damage, crits really wail on normal mobs.

Shield/Arcanebolt?: I’m gonna lump these two together because honestly I have no idea which one I’m casting ever. The shield hasn’t directly shown a buff to me when I’ve cast it on people (granted I’ve only been doing solo grinding up to this point so far) and the Arcanebolt does not do any damage. If Arcanebolt has another effect I have no idea what it is either. I can tell in a way that there are two separate spells because when one of them lands it creates a circle on the ground and the other seems to pull arcane energy in towards a ball.

Arcane stream/flurry/ray: I’m beginning to get frustrated with this spell in particular because it seems to take precedence over a lot of other spells when being drawn, when I was testing portals initially I must’ve cast this thing 30 times before I got a portal going. It seems to do more damage than fireball if you hit every shot but the range on it is about half of fireball/frostbolt, that being said the length of the spell feels like I could get more damage out of fireball by just casting two fireballs in this spells full channel time. I imagine in groups this spell is a godsend though so you’re not curveballing fireballs around your tank all the time.

Portal: I really think this is a great concept, I think I “got” what the second portal stone required to make but when conjured it just disappears on use. I mentioned earlier that it was very tough to get the original drawing working, but I may just not know exactly what I’m supposed to be drawing either way.

All in all I love the system but it can get frustrating being as squishy as I am and just not being able to pull the right spell out. I feel like I’d always rather have a spell fizzle over gaining a spell I didn’t want especially with no way to “drop” spells that you pull onto your wand. As far as soloing goes currently as long as I get my drawings down again with fireball I can solo any of the normal single mobs by level 6. Two mobs is immediate death or missing more than one drawing in a row is also death.

You are stuck in combat, from the in game menu go to the setting wheel, bug fixes, then click “stuck in combat” that will fix it.

I remember you Count! I was SunSDK! What are the odds hahah.

Download speed for vrclient_Data/level3 is SUPER slow? Seems its my whole client, tried reinstalling

Checking files for latest version… vrclient_Data/level3

is what the full message says. Just will not download. Speeds at .08 mbps

Thanks for the feedback, Sttoh. Before the next test we are going to be re-working the Runemage runes to hopefully make them more “distinct” and to cut down on the “getting the wrong rune” syndrome.

The thing about the Runemage system is that it is basically math. If you were able to draw the exact same rune every time, you would always get the exact same result. There is no randomness to it. Of course, drawing the exact same thing every time takes a lot of practice. Honestly I really think being able to 100% draw the Runemage spells each time is something that may only end up happening after someone has played the game for like hundreds of hours. And honestly that’s really the way it’s supposed to be – right now you are a “beginner”, and you can’t get the spell you want all the time. Which is really kind of awesome when you think about it because it’s just like it would be if you were a real mage trying to learn magic from a spellbook – you wouldn’t just get it right away, and it wouldn’t be easy. It would take actual practice and muscle memory.

But at any rate I can assure you, if you draw the rune the exact same every time, down to the centimeter, you will get the same result every time.

1 Like

I just tested it and I was downloading it at 38 MB/sec…so not sure. It doesn’t seem like the patch server is having any problems anymore serving up the files…

You might try opening up a command prompt and doing a quick “ping patch.orbusvr.com” and let me know what IP address it tells you just so we can make sure you’re getting the new server and not the old one.

Says pinging patch.orbus.vr 104.239.207.44 with 32 bytes of data:
request timed out

Oh yeah that’s weird you’re still on the old server. I wonder why your DNS hasn’t updated…hmmm…

Try doing

ipconfig /flushdns

The correct IP is 199.195.250.242

EDIT: Oh wait actually, just to be sure, you did “ping patch.orbusvr.com” right? Looking at that I don’t think that’s any IP we’ve used before. And it says “patch.orbus.vr” which isn’t right…

Cleared went back to installer, still had issue, repinged says:

Oh yea, I didn’t want it to seem like I’m knocking the system itself. The only real suggestions out of that was implied to be pulling our defenses up a little bit at least in the beginning and maybe giving us a way to drop spells when we do make mistakes. I need to ask though, does the one arcane “bolt” spell do damage? Or what is the function of it if it doesn’t?

Also what TheAaron said below me would be beautiful, transparency on what I’m shooting for in the first place would be so so very helpful in the way of a spellbook or something. Does it affect the drawing if I draw it a little too three dimensionally? Does the direction of the swipes make a difference? Does overlapping lines mess stuff up? Is there a space in which it’s “better” for me to draw as in directly in front of my face? Because I usually draw a little off to the right side.

1 Like

Regarding drawing the runes, I also found it a bit frustrating. I never got the portal spells to work (though I was only level 2 and hadn’t been to a stone yet, maybe that’s a prerequisite?). It might be nice if when you got the rune, you saw a perfect image of it, so you’d know what you were shooting for. Maybe that’s too easy, but it would be nice if there was more feedback. Maybe you get a particular level of efficiency based on how close to perfect your drawing is? -25% damage for a sloppy rune, +25% for a spectacularly well drawn one.

Even with the frustration, it was still pretty awesomely fun. =D

Yeah that’s really…weird. Because neither of those are IP addresses that belong to us. Are you behind some sort of proxy or something? Or VPN? What country are you in?

California, So cal, on AT and T. and internet seems to be working fine otherwise

Sure thing, just letting you know how it works. Feedback is great!

The Arcane Ray does damage, the arcane “bolt” is a friendly-player shield, although like you said I’m not sure how totally effective it is right now. It’s really more of a placeholder currently.

Okay, yeah, that’s really weird…

EDIT: I PM’ed you to hopefully try something different that might work…

But are there two seperate arcane spells besides the ray? Because I’m seeing two different spell effects at times, sorry for the million questions though I’m just pretty hype about this mechanic in a game lol

There’s not supposed to be haha. Maybe there is a test spell sneaking through or something. I’ll definitely look into that…

I can try to get screenshots if that would help?