Closed Alpha Test 4 Feedback Thread

I think it is when you get multiple at a time. By the time I died I had like 7 poisons and 7 cripples. Poison just the debuff emblem but cripple was the effect. I could only move to one available square before and after death

Ok last things I found before I stop:

• Fishing lure wonā€™t get out of the water back into the rod if you are standing so close to the water that the fishing rod is above the water.

• Also couldnā€™t get a single vibration of a fish with 3 different types of lures (4 fully used lures in total). So no fish for me :confused: But that can be my bad luck. Maybe increasing the catch change for the next test.

• Doing a charged attack at an enemy gives an arrow above the enemy. The problem is that the orientation of the enemy when hit with the charged arrow, determenes the orientation of the arrow towards the player for the rest of the fight. So if you hit an enemy 89 degrees sideways, you see like 1% of the arrow above the monster because it is rotated 89 degrees from the player.

• Alot of players losing their voice towards me. I see the talking icon but canā€™t hear them (I heard that other people have this problem too). Sometimes this also happens on the compass. So we switch between normal and compass talking until both communication methods are broken again. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! The voice issue seems to be a packet loss/latency thing. Were you having the same issues you reported yesterday with latency? Did you ever try the 0.45 / Direct method?

I have not tried the 0.45 direct method and had no visible latency problems. So no not the same problem as yesterday.

Hereā€™s the requested video.

It is possible that Iā€™m just messing up the runes, but I do find it odd that some of the runes done in the right hand looked worse than the left hand ones that failed, but they still went off properly.

Weā€™re trying a last minute dungeon run with Master Shadow if youā€™re not too sleepy and can leave it up just a tad bit longer than planned haha :sweat:

Haha sure Iā€™ll try and leave it up a little later than planned. Gl; hf.

2 Likes

Hey! Still having a great time with the game. Some things Iā€™ve either noticed or had happen to me below:

Lost Connection Text
When I lost connection, the message box that popped up had overlapping text on it, making it difficult to read.

Sword Model
The sword model is still off-kilter from the (vive) controllers. Itā€™s angled too much, and when holding the controllers straight up, is pointing up at about a 15 degree angle.

Creature Attacks
Iā€™ve noticed that creature attacks that start their animation always will hit you, regardless of your current location. That is to say, when a creature runs up on me, I teleport away, but the creature started an attack, and even though Iā€™m upwards of 5-8 ticks away, I still take damage.

Fishing Text
@Damage_Da_Mage and I have discovered that the text that appears when fishing is flipped when using the fishing rod in the left hand. Heā€™ll probably say something about it in his own post, but Iā€™m the one who caught a fish with the rod in both hands, so I deserve all the credit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fishing Lure/Nibble Rate
Another thing Damage will probably expand upon, but at the moment, either the lures break too quickly, or the fish nibble rate is too low. He went upwards of 40 casts without even a nibble, and I went as long as 30 casts without anything on it.

With as hard as it is to get things like fingers to put on the lure, this makes fishing a huge time sink. We spent probably an hour and a half or so trying to get the right loot, only for it to go to waste in about 5 minutes after the lure lost all of its durability, with nothing to show for it.

Frost spell drawing
This might just be me, because Damage said heā€™d never heard or seen anyone else say or do anything like it, but I inconsistently (probably 1 in 5) get a shield spell when drawing the frost spell.

I think this is all I have, and at least itā€™s all I have written down and remember. If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this post or shoot me a message on here or Discord. I will help in any way possible.

Thanks again Riley & team! This has been another great weekend and a really fun time! Keep up the great work!

Alright, just wrapped up and hereā€™s my feedback for the test.

Jungle Zone
I really like the new zone. Itā€™s great to be able to move to a new area within the world and see something different. All of the new mobs are really cool. Even the tiger, I guessā€¦ I didnā€™t notice any bugs here, just wanted to give credit for the awesome new area!

Ranger
I played the ranger for a while and I love the arrow selection. I think I would enjoy the class more if I had to reach into a quiver to grab an arrow instead of being able to rapid fire, but thatā€™s just me. Very rarely will I switch from runemage so it isnā€™t a big deal for me.

Mobs
Iā€™m not sure if this is intentional, but the mobs do seem to have some pathing issues this test. Several times Iā€™d attack something and theyā€™d end up running around two trees instead of taking a direct route to me. It isnā€™t a huge annoyance as a runemage because you can redirect your spells, but if I were playing a ranger and wanted to lure something over my trap this would be pretty annoying.

Fishing
This is easily what I spent the bulk of the test doing. I really like how fishing feels mechanically and itā€™s very relaxing. Itā€™s cool to be able to find different fish in different areas of the world and I canā€™t wait to see what some of them are going to be used for. I do have several notes that I wanted to mention though.

• If you reel in while the tip of your rod is over the water your lure will get stuck in the water instead of reeling in once it reaches the point where the line is completely vertical.

• I think lures break far too quickly. I spent an hour farming materials for a lure at one point only to have the lure break in 5-10 minutes. Iā€™m all for making the hunt for materials meaningful, but only Iā€™d really like to have more reward for my grind in this respect.

• I feel like the catch rate is far too low. At the end of the test I went 42 straight casts without so much as a nibble. That was really frustrating because thatā€™s nearly 3 full lures broken and I donā€™t even know whatā€™s in the lake yet. Iā€™m completely fine with not being able to catch a fish every cast, but being able to catch something every 5-10 casts would be nice.

• While fishing with @kymahi he mentioned that his text was backwards when he caught a fish. I had never ran into that issue so we started comparing what we were doing differently and discovered that if you fish with the pole in your left hand the text is backwards. If you fish with the pole in your right everything displays correctly.

• Would it be possible to give a small amount of fishing experience every cast? Right now it looks like you only receive experience when you catch a fish, which is nice, but with the catch rate where itā€™s at it would take an incredible amount of time to reach max fishing. I made it about halfway to level 2 with 9 or 10 fish caught total, but I spent a good 2-3 hours fishing. I know I went through at least 8 lures. I donā€™t have an exact number though. Iā€™d be happiest with an approach that gave a very small amount every cast with a large experience bonus when a fish is caught.

Conclusion
I think that takes care of everything I noticed this test. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I think this is the second longest amount of time Iā€™ve spent in game so far during alpha, so the new zone and profession really helped bring back the interest for me. Thanks for all of the great work!

1 Like

If I remember correctly Iā€™m the one who suggested switching hands to begin with :stuck_out_tongue: Just because Iā€™ve been shunned by RNGesus doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t deserve credit.

1 Like

u shuld try and git gud scrub

2 Likes

Thank you! It went great! And definitely over time haha

Okay thatā€™s all for tonight! Thanks everyone, and Iā€™ll read all the feedback in the morning haha, going to get some shuteye.

1 Like

Awesome session, I wish that I could have played more. Never got to try the fishing or the new Dungeon, though there is a lot of neat stuff in the new Jungle region. I need to do a lot more exploring next test.

1 Like

Made it in before the feedback thread was closed this time. Hereā€™s the player online data from this test for anyone whoā€™s interested!

A lot of fun. My vive headset messed up on the 2nd day and wasnā€™t able to play. I am now sending it in for repair:(

Some feedback:

Really like the jungle, especially the tigers, the first time one came at me I practically jumped into a wall. That jump is startling if your not ready for it.

the drop rates off of regular mobs were really bad. I didnā€™t get my first drop of anything for a level and 1/2 of kills or about 90 minutes. I probably killed at least 80 mobs at this point. I didnā€™t even get a mat for fishing.

Boss mechanics were fun. I enjoyed all the fights. The enclosure for the bosses would sometimes stay up even after the boss was killed.

I was having troubles with casting spells because some of my lines were disappearing and causing a fizzle. See the video below. Not sure what was causing this but I believe I only noticed it in the jungle. https://youtu.be/H-vaJ_EHIXA

I only got to play for about 5 hours the 1st night and that;s it since my headset broke.

Iā€™m mentally drained so Iā€™ll keep this short.

This test qas by far the most fun and challenging test yet. I had the least amouny of connection issues and they were fixed with a simple modem reset.

The warrior was the great. Provoke worked really well and gaining aggro from the horn was really accurate. It took a while to adjust to the hornā€™s small radius but I think that adds to the positioning and strategy in combat.

The dungeon was super fun. Iā€™m glad I had trouble figuring out fights and dealing with the new bosses and increased mob size. By the end if the test I was pretty confident in my performance and learn a lot about the class and how to deal with different situations.

Only real issues I had with hit boxes were the boars (sword rush didnā€™t work on them sometimes, the hitboxes were not accurate and they always went inside my body) and the spiders (could not attack from behind because the hitbox was only on their little head. Gravity well made all spiders heads stack in the middle so provoke was useless)

The jungle zone was big and felt like a new world compared to the base zones. I loved it.

We really need a portal confirm button. Players have been sneaking up behind others and portalling them to the tiger monolith where the only way out is passed all the tigers and boars. Iā€™m tired of spinnimg in circles watching my back. Itā€™s funny the first few times but when Iā€™m using an expensive lure and you port me to the Tigers midcast. . I got really pissed.

Anyway it was a good test.

1 Like

I had a blast this test and absolutely loved the new dungeon and new leveling zone. The tigers are the highlight of the zone for me. :slight_smile:

I did manage to get every class to level 12 this test and have a few thoughts. (Did anyone else level every class to 12?)
-The ranger needs a little more work. The arrow selection feels nice but the rate you need to fire in order to do dps is insane. I am comparing this to the mage that just has to draw a sign and guide a fireball to do more dps than the ranger using actual physical skill repeatedly. The mage has better utility and better dps. I honestly feel like rangers deserve to do a little more dps if they are using more physical skill.
-Mage feels powerful but I suck at drawing the jungle portal middle rune.
-As a warrior I had a lot of problems with hit boxes and doing a successful up. I also found that if you stand inside a tree you can repeatedly do sword rush damage until things die.
-Musketeer feels perfect. :wink:

One thing I did have a bad experience with is fishing. I had played the majority of the test and after we were done repeatedly running the dungeon I decided I would spend my last few hours of the test trying out fishing. I had originally planned to fish in the dungeon but found that trying to cast my line just gave me a message that I had no lures.

I had enough materials left over from my adventures to make 3 lures. So I went out to the lake and casted my lineā€¦no bitesā€¦ I casted it again and I got a bite but then the line broke and the fish took my good lure. After that I equipped my other two lures and got 0 bites for the rest of their durability. It was a really lame experience.

I honestly think fishing needs to be changed a little. Mechanically it feels good and lures are a fantastic idea for catching special fish but you should make it so if I am just looking to relax and have no lures that I can just cast out and catch a small common fish. The weight of the fish could even be weighted random so people with lures catch bigger fish more often but you have a tiny chance to catch a big one with no lure.

All I wanted to do was relax and fish and It was a bitter end to an otherwise very fun test.

Portaling people is the best part of the game. Itā€™s funny and fun. I think in our group we spend more time trying to port people than kill monsters. Here is a video of Smooch sneaking up behind Logan in the middle of our dungeon run and portaled him to HighStepp. https://youtu.be/-o_yXtDyOB0

Thanks for stopping the video right at my self incriminating evidence :wink: