Closed Alpha Test: April 20th

Update went well 202020

Is there an easy way to check if you’re actually online with other people? I haven’t seen anyone for a while and mobs don’t seem to be spawning?

You probably got “stuck” between zones. Apparently I’m hearing that can happen if you go through a Mage portal from a different zone other than the starting zone. Just use the “Go to Graveyard” button and you will respawn in the zone it thinks you should be in (it’s probably really far from where you are now).

Perfect, I can now see people and mobs :smiley:

Did you go through a Mage portal?

Yeh it seems whenever I make one I get the same problem. I could just be finding uninhabited parts of the world

No it’s probably happening every time with those. I would just avoid them for now.

Just FYI I’m going to be messing with the patch server again, shouldn’t have any negative effect but we’ll see :slight_smile:

Okay I’ve deployed the new patch server, if you’re currently downloading you might restart your launcher, hopefully this new server is faster, it’s in a different datacenter.

Stunning appears to be bugged. I play a warrior and I seem to unable to stun an enemy when they are firing up their ability. I’ve tried stunning during the casting animations of the starter golem guy’s heal ability and the ghost guy’s AOE.

I’ve also noticed that the ghost AOE is not blockable. Is this a bug?

I’m also dying from getting hit by the ghost AOE even if I teleport a foot or so out of the circle with a second to spare.

The stuns don’t currently interrupt enemy attacks once they start, they just “delay” them. So if you stun a Ghost he won’t do his AoE attack (or basic attack) for a few seconds, but once his AoE is triggered stunning doesn’t interrupt it. The ghost AoE (and all red-area attacks) are blockable if you “plant” your shield by slamming it into the ground to spawn the “big shield.”

Interesting. I’ve tried planting my shield and standing directly behind it. Perhaps it’s just really bad lag?

I do feel like you should be able to interrupt abilities. It would make combat as a warrior much more interesting. Maybe it’s a new ability on a separate cooldown? I do find it unintuitive that the stun does not interupt a cast. Not only would it make sense IRL it’s how most game’s stun move works.

Another thing I’m noticing is that I’m often blocking when I don’t mean to. I think I finally figured out that the shield needs to be out of the line of sight of the enemy in order for it to not block my own swings (and block the opponents attacks), but it’s not that clear in game that this is how it works.

I would love a quest status dialogue as well. I’m sure it’s on the roadmap but testing quests without it is hard to enjoy.

Are there plans to make the status effects applied to enemy’s (and players) (like regeneration, stun, etc.) much more obvious using in game assets (not HUD elements-like a character stunned animation, swirlies above his head in 3D, etc.)?

Playing warrior really hurts my elbows. Perhaps rewarding slow controlled swings is a way to solve this? It would be nice to have some indicator on the swing of how hard I’m going to hit them. Maybe the sword glows different colors? has a different trail type?

XP gain seems very low for the first few levels. I find MMOS most enjoyable if you’re levelling quickly in the lower levels. It’s OK if it slows down quite a bit later, but if this is 3X XP it’s definitely going to feel way too low in the real game.

For the Rift Touch controllers having to squeeze the trigger to make a pointer finger is counter-intuitive. You could use the native Oculus SDK to get the actual pose of the hand instead, but at the very least I would prefer use the grip button to make a point gesture.

Having a book where you could write down spells yourself would be super helpful and play in with the discovery of new runes in a creative way.

Despite my complaints I’m really enjoying playing and interacting with other players!

One more thing I noticed is that throwing the sword overhand doesn’t feel right. I only just now discovered throwing underhand which feels great! It would be great if the fact underhand throws are the way to throw the sword was more ovious, or if overhand throws felt more natural.

The joystick locomotion also feels off to me. I seem to be moving slightly right when I hold forward. It would also be great if I could strafe. Controls similar to Onward would be ideal in my opinion.

Also, the throw animation for the sword is often delayed quite a bit. Could this animation be predicted client-side so it feels like I actually threw it? The delay takes away from the immersion of the throw for me.

The locomotion is towards where your controller is pointing not where you hold the joystick so that is probably why.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

No problem haha I figured it out when trying to pull out an arrow while sliding and all of a sudden I was moving backwards :stuck_out_tongue:

Off the Abyss.

Another thing that was happening to me, I visited Huthrine’s Gate (spelling) and walked through the graveyard. After doing that, entities were no longer visible, and I couldn’t see other players either. Had to re-log to fix. Later on, when I chose to bug fix spawn at graveyard, I got spawned at Huthrine’s Gate graveyard. Doing it again spawned me close to the orchard graveyard where I actually was. Just odd.

1 Like

1 last thing. 1 time upon entering the player house, I was presented with this view: