Closed Beta 4 Feedback

I like that idea. Currently most of my sets are based purely on the lifesteal triggering after every attack. I can just swing left and right and keep the proc up. The other sets trigger very often. I can get 4 icons on my bar pretty consistently. Again, mostly based on lifesteal’s predictable and conveniently placed rune. Is a 5% increase going to make that big of a difference? From just thinking about 5% it seems like it would have 0 impact on something as big as a raid wipe or not. Get that 20 dummy in so I can really test this stuff!

Oh, I see. Yeah I don’t think it’s intended for the affix to be triggering the Runetile like that, since the intent is that it’s supposed to trigger off of your class abilities. Eep.

I mean 5% is 5%. It’s not going to turn you from a weakling into an unstoppable killing machine, but if you’re getting 5% extra damage and you’re ending the fight 5% faster, then yeah that could easily make a big difference if the fight is tuned properly.

EDIT: Actually, I see what the problem is, it’s the fact that some rune tiles are triggering on healing, instead of just on damage. So I will fix that. There is a rune tile that triggers for healing, but it looks like it’s also triggering other damage-related tiles as well. So I dunno I haven’t looked at your specific set so it may still work, but that was a bug.

Oh darn. Lifesteal triggers an up arrow after every attack as its heal. I’ll check if it still functions when I get on later

Haha, yeah, sorry :confused: Thanks for letting me know, though, it’s not intended that the Runetile system is so easy to game that just swinging your sword without any regard for anything else should be enough to keep up 40% damage all the time just because you have Lifesteal, haha.

The idea is that triggering a tile should be either be a) unpredictable but frequent or b) predictable but infrequent. So if you see something that’s like very predictable and happening really frequently, that’s probably a mistake.

Gotcha. I’ll upload and shoot you a short clip of it working if that would help compare it to your expectations

You make a lot of good points. This is definitely a tough problem to tackle. I would prefer an 80/20 or 85/15 divide. There certainly is a “skill” component in the game and someone that has decent gear and great skill will outperform someone who has awesome gear and low skill. If you did the 80/20 or 85/15, and someone is good at their class, it shouldn’t prevent them from going to most content. If your plan is to have everyone be able to do all content then I think your 90/10 is on point. I do think there should be better rewards for tackling tough content. The challenge of the content is fun, but getting nice loot is even better:)

Something to also think about is how WoW did it. After a while, they would nerf bosses and that would let the less hardcore people be able to do the endgame content. So eventually everyone would have an opportunity at awesome gear.

As long as that awesome gear also looks awesome!

I think that the best reward you can give for hardcore people while still maintaining balance, is to give them gear/weapons that just look mindblowing awesome. Adding glow or something like that. So with still a small power increase but because you have something cool to walk around with, that makes it really worth farming/fighting for. :slight_smile:

You can almost say you don’t need any power boost if the gear/weapon is just looking cool. ( almost :stuck_out_tongue: )
This isn’t a new concept of course. A lot of games use this trick.

2 Likes

A new patch was just pushed out the server and the client. Restart your Launcher to get it. In particular:

• Re-upgraded to the latest Unity patch for the 5.6.x series. Should fix some lingering crash issues.
  • Fixed a bug where damage-related rune tiles were being triggered by healing spells.
  • The “From Their Beds” questline has been fixed.
  • The Weapons Cart path has been changed to be shorter
  • The NPC path for the Brotherhood quest has been adjusted
  • The tutorial has been re-worked such that we’ve added “tips” signs to better explain advanced mechanics of the combat classes.
  • A Level 20 Training Dummy was added in Highsteppe

If you have a slow download from the Launcher, here is an alternate download option: https://drive.google.com/file/d/165dl3eZrqZErTV9pVp1JDqFipfsageey/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

We are definitely doing that, for example the shard dungeons have their own whole tier of gear models. Maybe we can also do something where Epic gear also has a chance to drop with a cool effect added in addition to the Affix? Sort of like the “Gold Leaf” cards from Hearthstone?

2 Likes

Oooohh… Persistent VFX!

This has been a bug for the last few updates, just haven’t reported it. On an HTC Vive, if you’re in game, say in highstep, and you click the overlay button below the trackpad, after a short time, you will lose connection to the orbus server. So if you’re looking something up on the wiki, you could potentially be booted if you’re not quick enough.

Hmmm, yeah that probably has to do with the new code I’ve put in to get rid of those “clones”…basically if you aren’t sending data to the server for a certain period of time (like 20 seconds), you will get booted now. I’m not really sure how to get around that unless there’s some way to get the game to keep running updates even if it’s not the active program…I’ll do some looking into it.

Just watched Elk (player) kill the dummy in highstep, now there is two. One without a level and one that says level 20, right next to one another.

there should be 2 training dummy’s in highsteppe now, a lvl 20 and a lower leveled one, are you saying that they are overlapping, or spawning on top of each other?

Alrighty! I purchased OrbusVR about 5 hours ago and since then I spend all my time ingame… and of course I want to share my thoughts with you.

First of all I want to applaud the devs on what they already achieved. The following might be harsh, but its intended to help :slight_smile:

So, when I wanted to download the game (located in Germany) the updater was incredibly slow… somebody in discord gave me a download link for google driver to hep me out. I hope this will be better over time.
When I started the game with my new character I was greeted with a intro sequence which felt really out of place. It ha another artstyle and was shown in a box… I really didn’t like it and even skipped it.

In the tutorial section I could follow everything and though it did work pretty well, one thing however I would like to see changed is that the player should be locked in that place so he doesn’t accidentally step outside to look for the Queens Ear …that happened to me and I was highly confused. Instead I would give the player the choice to skip the tutorial altogether if he knows bout everything already.

Oh, on the character screen when I wanted to input the name it wasn’t clear to me that I had to confirm the name using the virtual return button… and the keyboard doesn’t work with both hands at the same time… which is a shame.

What I immediately noticed is tha lack of soundeffects. The menu as no soundeffects and you often walk around without hearing anything but the same music over and over again. I think soundeffects will help A LOT with the game and I really hope you consider working on those pretty soon as I think these should be a given and will refine the game by a lot.

I tried all starter classes and couldn’t really like the warrior… it was pretty boring fighting as I didn’t know anything bout combos and couldn’t find anything bout combos in the journal.

I then used the Musketeer and really liked it. I love how you can use the turret by throwing it in the air and how u reacharge the weapon and can fire on ground for healing areas… pretty awesome. However, I found that the shape of the weapon model was pretty annoying. I had a hard time targeting stuff :confused: I hope we can add target helps sometime or that other muskets have other weapon models :frowning:

Something I also found annoying is that the turret is hard to notice…especially during night. I think it should have some glow or other effect around it that makes it visible.

Something else I found confusing was doors. I actually found out I can open doors by myself instead of talking to the NPC, but I think that this should be part of the tutorial as its a really basic action. I also did not like how you open all the doors by pulling them into your face… really irritating.

When I got out of the tutorial area I was incredibly lost. I had no idea where to go and was very frustrated. I found the chefs house by accident. I think there should be some indicator in the first town to guide you around and I also think that the chefs house should have some sign outside with a picture of some meat or something to easily let the player know that this is the chefs house.

Something else I found confusing is to equip gear. Sure, you have those icons on the slots …but most of the time I had to guess which slot to actually use for the piece of gear and once you actually equip a item you don’t have any visual indicator on the slot that you just did something… the missing soundeffect doesn’t help. I wish that the slot which you just equipped would show a short flashing animation as a visual clue. Something else that was confusing is that you can actually drop equip on every slot but it will immediately disappear again.

When I got the first quest from the chef I was lost again. I had no idea in what area to look for the stuff and what it would actually look like. I would probably have stopped caring about the (main!!!) quest at this point if I wouldn’t have met another player ingame which helped me out. The game needs to improve at this point… as a newcomer I felt very lost. There should be more visual clues. Why not use the compass to guide the player to the area where stuff can be found for the quest?

The next thing I had to learn was how to cook. I had to get back to discord to let people tell me i have to put ingredients into the chest…and I also had to learn thatI cant put everything in the same chest. I wish items that can not be placed into a chest should be greyed out or something. Again, I think the game should give more visual clues.

I then stepped onto the airship by accident and experienced a lot of stutter. The airship seems to be synced across clients very badly and it made me really sick :confused:
At one point the airship even flew through solid rocks …this was very confusing. I also tried to use the journal on the airship and noticed that it doesn’t stick to the player.

I also skimmed the pretty low viewing-distance.
At one point I wanted to give fishing a try and I had no idea how to do this…and yet again I had to ask in discord how this would work. The game needs to help the early players a lot more in my opinion.

So yeah, my main critic is that the game is missing soundeffects and visual clues for the player and that the game should help early players a LOT more.

I also have some gameplay related ideas and a lot of positive feedback.

I really liked the musketeer, however I hope the class will get more synergy’s for its ammunition types. For example stuffing both ice and poison into the gun to fire of a bullet that will create ice-ground or something. I also liked how u can shoot some ammunition on the ground to get a healing AoE. What about u have 3 ways to use ammunition? Fire it onto an enemy for direct damage. Fire it onto the ground for a small AoE. Fire it into the air for bigger AoE… something like that. Right now combat as a musketeer is just stuffing all the ammo into the gun and fire it off…there is not a lot of tactic involved.

Something I felt was completely missing was skills. yeah, sure, those ammo types are your skills, but you immediately get all ammo types. I am now asking myself what there is still to come. I think it would be a lot better if you get one new ammo type with each level up. Right now level ups don’t seem to do a lot. While the class itself is already fun I think there doesn’t exist a lot of character growth. Id really like to see something like a skill tree or at least that you learn new skills as you play. Leveling right now doesn’t have a lot of purpose to me.

Id also like to see elemental weakness on enemies. For example the spiders could be poison-element and thus take 50% less damage from poison… but maybe 50% more damage from some other element. Or my armor could give 50% additional defense against poison attacks and spiders could have a poison skill. Right now you just step into a area and see if you can kill the enemies with the current setup… you don’t actually prepare. If I knew that there are elemental weaknesses and such I could prepare for combat and get a tactical fight going. I really think the game could improve a lot in that area.

Oh, something else I noticed is that the main-quest isn’t marked in any way… I wish the main quest would get a icon to mark it as the main quest.

I did like the compass and the journal, however I think the journal in its current state isn’t something you can use forever. Once you have a few quests and more and more pages it gets really annoying flipping through all the pages…some quicker way of navigating the journal seems to be a must-have. What about colorize tabs on top of the book that you can directly select to jump to different type of pages?

I also got some quests where I had to hunt redtails…it took me a while to find those enemies and I think enemies that are quest targets should get a quest-icon or something like that above their heads to show that they are important.

Something else I think could be improved by a lot if …once again… visual clues on enemies. When I poison an enemy he gets that debuff icon below its healthbar…and I think that’s so very very basic. what about instead of that icon have green bubbles float out of the enemy? In VR I think less and less information should be shown using text or icons but instead directly on the object of interest. OrbusVR already does that in a very nice way like the compass or the ammo type floating around the musketeers gun so I think it would also hep a lot with debuff on the enemy. Also, if the enemy gets poison DoT the damage number could be green. The game needs a lot more visual clues to show information to the player. Less icons, less text, more direct visual clue.

I liked the weather effects, I liked the new artstyle, I liked the size of the game… there is a LOT to like and I really want to keep on playing and surel will do so tomorrow. I wish the devs best of luck with the game. I will recommend it and will be watching the development for sure and would really like to help out with development. This game has a lot of potential and I am rooting for it!

Edit: When I talked about aiming help for muskets I actually meant something like “rear sight and grain” instead of auto-aim. The weapon model seems pretty inaccurate… its hard to aim as the shape doesn’t give a clear enough hint where your shot will travel. Most VR games have a simple rear sight and grain system and I would really like to see this in OrbusVR too

2 Likes

So bleed’s damage is way less than 300% even on the lv20 Dummy.

Basic shot: 486. Bleed’s tick: 194. Bleed’s total: 776
Piercing arrow: 2084. Bleed’s tick: 819. Bleed’s total: 3276

In both the bleed’s damage is a bit more than 150%.
Maybe bleed’s damage is accidentally affected by the target’s defense or something?

The download speeds will be fixed on launch, they will (to my knowledge) be moving to steam instead of a launcher, fixing this issue :slight_smile:

Personally, I feel that the tutorial isn’t that bad. If you’re conditioned with VR, it’s fairly simple, and flows relatively nicely, just needs to be smoothed out a little. Perhaps if one of the devs (or have the community do it) voice the tutorial/main quest line, it would help (reading text in vr sucks). I do agree that a skip tutorial option should be added just for the sake of having it in the game.

Character creation: I would suggest that the devs should just replace the enter icon with “Confirm” to solve this, and two handed support would be nice as well.

Sound effects: I agree, but I would say put it on the back burner instead of focusing on that right now. They have enough at the moment for players to get by through the beta/early access stages.

Warrior: Fighting is boring, yes, and I do think that things besides combos should be introduced. The runemage has… well… spells… The archer has elemental/AoE arrows… Musketeer has heals for days… But the warrior just has to swing his sword and toot his horn. I feel like there should be more interaction with the world as a warrior (ground slam AoE around the player like arcane explosion, for example?)

Musketeer: Overall, I agree. I do feel like playing and aiming as a musketeer takes practice just like playing a runemage takes practice. Over time, we should get used to it. I don’t feel like we need targeting or “target helps”, because it’s VR, and a lot of the game is dependent on how well you as a player can perform the actions, not how well your computer can aim. There are other muskets with different models, so that may solve your problem once you get there :slight_smile: Also, aura/glow around the turret, yes please.

I feel like doors are fine how they are honestly, I mean… they’re just doors :stuck_out_tongue: Grab, and pull.

Tutorial: There was an update (like an hour ago) that helps with post-tutorial quests like killing the king stag for the chef. I do agree with you that the chef needs to be a little more obvious, maybe with a cart/market stall outside with bread out or something of the sort, as a visual clue for new players. At the same time, however, I do like that the devs make new players pay attention to the lore in order to progress. Not a lot of games do this, which makes me love it. Being walked through the game like a ten-year-old got pretty old, especially when being guided by a shiny blue arrow or something of the sort.

Gear: Once you get used to it, everything should be fine. Don’t think this needs to change much. Visual clues, however, I definitely agree with. Something simple and small that would make a world of difference for new players.

Quest line: This quest specifically was confusing for me as well. I had help finding it my first time as well because things weren’t super clear, but I see that as part of the beauty of the game. It definitely encourages community building and helping other players, which is a very nice touch for an MMORPG. Visual clues for quest locations, I’m not sold on. I like the fact that they don’t hold your hand through the entire process, and that they force you to struggle a little bit. It’s definitely a nice change for me. Using the compass I would not advise. I would rather have npc’s mark an area on the map in your journal (not specific, but more broad like “go into this area and it should be somewhere around there”).

Airship, can’t comment. Haven’t gotten on yet. Fishing is a skill in real life, no? Someone had to teach someone else how to fish in real life, why not make it so in the game? Again, it builds a community and helps people make friends.

Variety in class abilities: I agree, but I don’t think shooting a bullet into mid-air shouldn’t make a larger AoE.

Skills/leveling: I agree, but to a point. Keep them simple, and moderately easier to use than, for example, the runemage’s spells.

Elemental weaknesses: Sure, absolutely wonderful idea, but for the time being, I feel like this shouldn’t be priority #1.

Main quest: 100% agreement with you there

Journal: Tabs, I agree

Quest help: Again, having the npc mark an area on the map for players to go to would probably be the best solution right now, if anything. Not having this gives players the opportunity to explore the world and do things on their own rather than following a linear path of progression.

Visual clues on enemies: Having too many status effects causing visual clues might cause frames to drop on lower end hardware, and the debuff icons work fine to me. However, I do agree that having to pay attention to icons and text in VR is kinda brutal. Damage values changing color according to damage/status effect type would be very nice indeed.

Overall, very good, honest review of the game and it’s flaws/potential. I agree and disagree with a lot of what he said, but this may also be due to experience in VR and just getting used to the style of Orbus.

1 Like

It seems to be random, vive.

I think there is a fine line to walk with over-indicating things. The devs have stated a few times that the vision for the game isn’t to lead you directly from point to point to point for each quest, and that figuring things out and community engagement is strongly encouraged. Definitely agree that for the new players they may need some more hand-holding but it’s also a little tricky because no matter how long the tutorial is, eventually you gotta drop them in the world to find their own way.