Don't allow characters to switch classes freely in Reborn

I enjoy being the class that I choose from the beginning. Something about having personal class identity for each character is just more interesting than being able to switch around any time we want. We can already make more than one character, so I think you should be locked into the class that you choose on that character when created. The only other mmorpg I’ve played is WoW, so that’s what I’m used to. I think being ‘locked in’ to your class it makes your character progression feel more fun. Any opinions?

The biggest difference between this and wow is the character depth, and skill customization. There isn’t some 20+skills and combos for each class that would allow for a person to main a single class and only that class. Plus the fact it’s a vr title and has a smaller community because of it, so it’s often important to be able to switch to make up for what is missing.

3 Likes

There are tons of MMOs that encorporate this model and in my opinion it’s just a better way to do it. So silly to have everything spread across a ton of characters for no reason and pay for all the slots. No thanks.

3 Likes

I feel like its already “locked in” end game. I don’t know if this is what Riley intends. Having a job system like FF, where you can equip gear and switch so easily, tells me that at one point they really wanted people to be able to switch disciplines out of combat.

But end game gear pigeonholed players in Orbus for the most part. It wasn’t feasible to obtain gear on all 4 classes, especially due to lockouts. With RNG on the token turn-ins, it could take many months, it wouldn’t be worth it.

Also, without diving into how progression/rewards can be greatly improved in Reborn, being able to switch disciplines without having to create a new character for each one makes a lot more sense for those who want to have options and put the effort into at least leveling.

Switching on one character provides a lot of benefits that I think make the game better in this sense without having to go through the trouble of logging into another character. Especially since you only have 2 character slots. For example, rather than starting a new character if you are new to the game because you don’t like how a warrior or ranger plays, its simpler to just switch gear.

One more thing: with 8 classes in Reborn, do you really want to be swapping between multiple characters just so you can try each classes on a whim?

Also the inventory system also makes you specialize in one class because you cannot carry gear for more than 1 class (4 pieces + weapons + another set for magical assuming it matters + new gear stats and sets) and this will likely become worse since the inventory is extremely limited.

1 Like

Don’t worry, play a while and everyone will know what your good at!

I would really hate if they limited that. I find switching classes fun.

1 Like

Please never limit class changing! It’s one of the best parts of the game!

Hell, would be nice if you could make it easier (by making class changes one-button and/or null-weight)

2 Likes

Exactly. And nothing would really change except people waiting for “oh I switch to my alt let me log” and constant logs outs and ins.

Also farming mats with a musky is not really… fun… transferring them all the time between 4 classes also isn’t… so next thing introduced would be a common chest for all chars - like for example it is in Path of Exile - and then why have several chars in the first place, it would only end up more tedious.
I think the separation in other games is due to technical reasons and due to gameplay elements forcing that, like elves assigned to certain classes, trolls to melee, humans to others etc. but all this is not the case in Orbus.

1 Like

Can you imagine having to walk there characters out to the raid?

1 Like

If anything we need to be able to switch more freely, the weight restrictions on inventory and the need to switch 5-9 items each time depending which class you are changing to/from is only going to get worse with reborn and should get looked at while they are reworking the game

7 Likes

I share the sentiment that my class is my identity - I can’t wrap my head around being more than a runemage. I kinda feel like having more than one would cause an identity crisis :yum: although I have significant respect for those talented and dedicated enough to be more than one class. I really really like that as one person we can be anything we put our time and effort toward. It’s our whole self, singular self being whatever we’d like to in this virtual realm. So despite being a singular class/character myself (though I’m curious to see if a new class in reborn strikes me enough to level another) I’m glad we aren’t limited by the game - only by ourselves and our preferences. I really liked that as a newb I could freely try each class to see what I’d like before choosing my profession. I know others switch between regarding what they feel like doing - it isn’t a stretch to use a sword one day and a bow the next, or switch between at a whim. I think the versatility is far more appealing. We also technically only have 2 character slots, but even if we had 4, it’d be a little weird to have a different person and name per class (even for those that don’t share an account but have different characters amongst siblings). It’s definitely most convenient how it is with more room for improvement.

2 Likes

I definitely prefer being able to switch class. Especially with how the mage is implemented - it takes hours of practice before you can take it reliably into combat. If you couldn’t switch class, you would be forced to do nothing but practice for the first few hours of game time. That isn’t a good way to hold on to players.

Also, VR introduces a whole new component to playing: injury. If you force someone into a single class in this game and something happens where they can’t play that class anymore, it would be discouraging to have to start from scratch with a new character just to change classes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.