Exploiting the Game

A term being used a lot lately. Often it’s used to put down the party that its aimed at as if they are breaking the game to get ahead or ruining it for others.

Just stop it…

OrbusVR is still in early access and ever evolving, the bugs or techniques people discover to defeat content should be shared so that the game can continue to progress. Share your information with people and maybe they can find a clever way to use it for a fight that is unintended or a new strategy that could be even better than the “standard”.
If you feel that it is too much, the developers have given us a lovely platform to share it so that they can either adjust something or even enhance the content all together.

I strive to find all that I can about the game and share that knowledge, not for the intention of creating a way to abuse the game that I’ve officially played for 500 hours but so that people can modify and create new techniques that work for them and hopefully others.
If something isn’t the way it should be, it’ll get fixed. Let them fix what the developers feel needs to get fixed so that we can have a more solid foundation to progress in the future. There’s so much more to come and too much salt in the air.

3 Likes

We (the Dev Team) define exploit as discovering something that is clearly unintended and then taking advantage of it to gain something of value in the game.

For example, if it turns out that you can walk up to an NPC and wave from left-to-right and they give you 100 dram, that’s an exploit. Or if it turns out that you can attack a boss and then immediately run into a wall and kill the boss without actually having to do the fight, that’s an exploit.

Obviously there are degrees of culpability with these. If it’s mostly a bug that’s our fault, and you report it to us right away, then you aren’t going to get in trouble for it and we will fix it. If you find out about it and keep it to yourself and use it for a month and don’t tell us about it, then you are going to get in trouble.

In addition, obviously modifying the game client or something of that nature is going to result in a much harsher and immediate punishment than figuring out a clever workaround using the official unmodified client that is a bug.

Really, at the end of the day it’s up to us to determine what is or isn’t against the rules and the degree of punishment. I am fine with people exploring the bounds of the game and trying to figure out clever ways around something, but it must be reported to us as soon as you find it. There has been way too little of that lately, and that’s something we are starting to crack down on.

So if you find a piece of gear that probably shouldn’t be there, or you find a way to beat a boss that makes it obviously easier than it should be, report it to a Dev Team member via a PM on the forums. Do not assume that we saw it on Discord or “everyone probably knows about it.” People have very nearly gotten bans lately for not reporting things and we will not be nearly as lenient about that going forward.

In my mind the major difference in the severity of the offense comes down to, did you find it and then report it immediately, or did you find it and then keep it to yourself for your own advantage? If it’s the latter, there’s a good chance you’re going to get a ban.

5 Likes

Are you referring to people abusing the advanced settings to ignore adds or logging out mid fight to get gear for other classes?

Not sure what other stuff people have complained about on discord, but I think it’s a fair thing to complain about.

Just to be sure, you’re talking about the things we put in the detection for, right? Or is this still something that’s going on?

Oh sorry, this was just something in the past I saw Decoy telling Fern wasn’t a big deal and was curious if it was what he was referring to. (Yes, I believe what you put in detection for)

Okay.

To be clear, just because you find a workaround for a boss fight or something like that doesn’t make you a bad member of the community or negate your skill level at the game. In fact, one of the best things you can do to help the game is find these type of things and report them.

However, if you’re taking the approach “well I found it and it’s just a bug so it’s not on me to report it, let the Dev Team figure it out”, and we discover “oh hey this person knew about this for a month and was using it to farm something valuable from the game unfairly”, then yeah there’s going to be a consequence for that.

So really, I would prefer if everyone just errs on the side of communicating with us about things you find so we can track them and decide how big of an issue we think it is. You’re never going to get in trouble for telling me about something right away. The longer you wait and abuse it, the more likely it is you’re not going to like the outcome when we do find out about it.

5 Likes

I am referring to everyone calling out that other people are exploiting, there are several instances from opposite sides.
High-end fellowships are trying to break each other down because they are being “competitive”

I would also prefer that people leave determining what is or isn’t an exploit up to us. However, at the same time I think some people in the community see people taking advantage of mechanics that are probably unintended and have not been reported and they feel it is unfair. So it cuts both ways.

Let’s have less accusations and leave it up the Dev Team to handle determining what is or isn’t an exploit, and at the same time let’s have more open communication from people who are finding these workarounds so they are reported to us right away instead of waiting for someone else to call them out on it. If we can have both of those things then I think things will be great.

4 Likes

What I’ve seen so far with my limited time on:

First dragon boss in the cave, you can teleport back and forth around the stalagmites to keep it from attacking you after you’ve dealt with the adds.

Turning settings on low makes it a lot easier to spot ingredients for crafting and enemies to avoid. The biggest place I’ve done this in is the jungle.

Not sure if either are considered exploits, but in spirit of the conversation figured I’d say something.

Yeah I think both of those are fine. But thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty easy to tell what is and isn’t an exploit and specially now that the Dev has given us A LOT of clarification in this post on how to identify them and when to report it. There is no reason to stop using the term exploit even if the game is in Early Access.

I hope after this post everyone will share these exploits with Riley immediately when they are found. Thank you again Riley for making things clear.

The reason is because people are using it to verbally attack others. As Riley has stated, the Dev team will decide what is and isn’t an exploit.

2 Likes

If you find an exploit then report it immediately. Then STOP using it. Everyone should have a good sense of what’s intended. I think the problem People have is when people continually use the same exploit to beat bosses and then claiming world first when they used exploits. It just doesn’t feel genuine. It’s like an athlete taking steroids to win.

3 Likes

Doesn’t exactly feel good when you work at something and discover a new tactic just to have your accomplishments diminished by other players either.

1 Like

Okay let’s stop making this personal and stay on topic.

2 Likes

I think what you are getting at more is you wish people didn’t slander one another. Which is an honerable intention.

Peace

2 Likes

I don’t know, finding a esier way to do things after hundreds of play hoers, realising every one ells that has done this so long have likely also figured it out, and are most likely still using it. Reporting it in to get it fixed with no reward except loosing a oportunity feels… bad.

I don’t want others to be punished for using something, but right now the report system seems to be hurtful only, trying to shame or ban others.

Take the logout revive in battle, it seen that during a dessert dungeon run at low level with mixed guild group. Dident think much of it. But then suddenly it’s a shitstorm about it being used during a open stream. Wow guarded secret? Come on!

I’m sorry, but if you run the same boss in tradura 100 times it’s going to become a marrio spedrun, cutting corners, skipping fights, and maximising the options avalible.

If you want things reported, give something in return, threatening your player base to make reports is just bad manners.

Wow that is very accusatory of you here on the official Orbus forum and I do not appreciate your negatively which is something the community Dev has clearly spelled out is not acceptable.

EK is the premier endgame fellowship and it is in our very fellowship statement that we are a fellowship of honerable players who do not condone cheating or exploiting. We strive to grow a healthy nontoxic orbus community and to lead it on an honerable path.

This kind of slander will not stand.

2 Likes

I have never used an exploit to make money or used an exploit for any type of gain. I have always reported everything I found immediately. I don;t need to cheat to make money or clear dungeons. I guess we can’t say the same about your guild.