FAQs for the new players

Hey guys, Mishka here!

With the holidays here, we’re looking at a large influx of new players joining our community. First off, welcome new players! We hope you enjoy your time in Orbus!

I know that the in-game tutorials aren’t exactly the most helpful, and not everything is as intuitive as we’d like it to be. Here’s some common questions I get that hopefully you’ll find useful.

Q: I created a character. Now what?
A: Find the NPC named Randall and wave at him. He’ll have a few tutorial quests for you. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE TEXT! If you just click through you’ll miss important info.

Q: I didn’t read through the text! What do I do?
A: On your left shoulder, you’ll find a compass. If you flip it upside down, it’ll open a journal. Flip a few pages and you’ll find current quests.

Q: I did the tutorial but I’m still not sure what to do?
A: There are 7 NPCs that have missions for you (Darius, Pierre Cenn, Mayor Kaia, Sicilus, Whisper, Marlowe, and Chef Lethrow). They’ll have missions for you based on your level. You can also check out the four dungeons in Highsteppe (at the base of the tree), although I recommend getting a group of 5 together for that. There’s also public events out and about throughout the world!

Q: Which class should I play?
A: I recommend trying each of them! For absolute basics, I recommend Musketeer, Ranger, or Paladin.

Q: I picked the wrong class when I started, should I remake my character?
A: No need! There’s an NPC called “Beginner Weapons” on the upper level of the tree in Highsteppe. You can get a weapon for each class!

Q: I picked up a different weapon and now I lost all my levels! What do I do??
A: Each class is leveled separately of the others. You can be a 30 Warrior and 1 Mage. When you switch back to Warrior, you’ll be 30 again.

Q: I picked the wrong talent when leveling. How do I reset this?
A: Take a potion of Forgetfulness. It’ll reset your talents, and that’s it. You won’t lose progress.

Q: I’m moving very slow/stuck in combat!
A: First, check your inventory to make sure you’re not over encumbered. If you’re carrying over 45 pounds, you’ll be moving slow. If you’re still moving slow without being over encumbered, try killing another monster. If that doesn’t work, in the general settings tab there’s a “Stuck Combat” button. That may work. If all else fails, relog.

Q: My spells/hits/potions aren’t registering!
A: There’s a common issue called a desynch. Basically, your client stopped communicating with the server. Close the game and reopen it.

Q: The spell casting system doesn’t work! I’m trying the runes exactly as shown and they aren’t working!
A: The spellcasting system works, you’re just not drawing the spells properly. There’s plenty of reasons they may not be going off. I recommend talking to an experienced mage at the first feelings of frustration. Trust me, you can do it, but it’ll take time!

Q: Why do I keep dying?
A: Unlike a lot of MMORPGs, OrbusVR is very unforgiving. If you pull more than one enemy at a time on accident, you very may well die. This game relies on actual, abstract skills instead of clicking buttons to activate abilities. Your real aim, endurance, and precision come into play here. It’ll take a bit of time to develop the skills necessary to take on groups.

Q: Where do I sell my old gear?
A: A lot of gear (dye, plants, ore, fish, etc) can be sold to the Apprentice Smith in Highsteppe. Equipment must be broken down into shards (Minor/Major/Glimmering/Effervescent) which can then be sold.

Q: How can I find people to play with?
A: Highly recommend joining the OrbusVR Unofficial Discord (https://discord.me/orbusvr). Otherwise, just talk to people in game. You’ll find the community to be quite open and friendly!

Q: My quest keeps disconnecting/crashing!
A: See relevant thread: Oculus Quest FAQ and Common Issues/Workarounds

Q: As a Quest/Index/Reverb/Google Cardboard (just kidding) user, can I play with people on [other headset here]?
A: Yes, all players are on the same server.

Q: You just said we’re all on the same server, but my friend and I are in the same place and can’t see each other!
A: If a zone gets more than 40 people in it, it’ll split into multiple “shards”. Go to your menu, social panel (it looks like 3 people), and click on shards. It’ll be something like ABC 20. The “ABC” is the name of the shard, and the “20” is the number of people in it. Make sure you’re in the same shard.

Q: Somebody is being incredibly rude/toxic/a jerky mcjerk face.
A: Open the menu, click the top button to show nearby players, and click on that person’s name. You can then mute and report them.

Q: What’s a Fellowship? How do I join one? Can I make one? A: Fellowships are groups of players that have a common goal/ideal in mind, whether that’s end-game content, doing dungeons, breeding dragons, etc.

Q: I found a bug!
A: Welcome to Orbus! Odds are, it’s one the community is aware of and we can help you with a work around. However, open your menu, hit the “i” button, and there’s a “Report Bug” button. This will help the devs diagnose and fix the issue.

Q: I want a name change/I log in to a black screen/something went horribly wrong to the point that no mere mortal can save me!
A: Message @Mathieu_D . He’s the community manager and can often help with issues the community members can’t.

Q: I can’t find XYZ monster!
A: Best option is to ask a level 30 player. There’s usually dozens online around Highsteppe, and most people in the community are happy to help.

Q: What are dungeons and raids? A: Dungeons are instanced content designed for 5 players. The four in Highsteppe will scale to your level, and the two outside of Highsteppe are for level 30 characters. Raids are end-game, instanced content designed for 10 level 30 characters.

Q: What are shards?
A: Shards are a word that is used for many things in Orbus. It can refer to items from breaking down gear (Minor/Major/Glimmering/Effervescent), dungeon shards (scaling a dungeon to level 30 with special affixes that make them more difficult but give better rewards), or different instances of the same zone.

Q: I’m not getting any loot!
A: Check to see how many people are in your party. If there’s more than 5, you won’t get drops or XP outside of raids.

Q: I’m lost and I keep dying and now I’m stuck!
A: Whether you went through a portal or just wandered too far, don’t worry. In your inventory you should have a tool called the Home Teleport Device. Equip this on your hip, then hold it for five seconds. It’ll bring you safely to your house, which is located in the city of Highsteppe.

Q: I can’t trade with other people!
A: Check to make sure you’re not over encumbered. Also make sure you aren’t holding a Trickster Token. Those prevent you from trading.

Q: I can’t use teleport pillars!
A: Make sure you have a Runemage Reagent with you. Also make sure you don’t have a Trickster Token in your inventory. Those prevent you from teleporting.

Q: Who is Rupert?
A: The First Shaman. The savior of OrbusVR. Thank him.

I’ll likely edit this with more questions as I find/remember them. Feel free to ask for help at any time, and welcome to the community!

-Mishka

7 Likes

I don’t typically like to plug myself unless directly asked, but if you’re new and are looking for video guides, I’ve got somewhere around 100 videos all about explaining Orbus. If you’ve got a question, I’ve likely got a video.

-Mishka

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.