February Pre-Alpha Test Feedback Thread

Okay well I’m off to get some sleep, I will check in on this thread in the morning though. G’night everyone!

This was a very fun session, I think that I was in for about 7 hours in all. The dungeon is difficult, the party that we got to the final boss with didn’t get to kill him, That boss is huge!

The WIP zones were interesting, I loved the top of the mountain with the statues and large mine entrance. Also the fort and ship village looked like they will have some fun stuff to do.

I wasn’t able to complete any quests for some reason, they always seemed to reset before I completed them.

You guys have done a lot of work since the last stress test, I am really looking forward to what’s coming in the future.

Orbus playtests continue to be the absolute highlight of my time in VR. Which, admittedly, isn’t that long - but the point still stands. The elation that comes from seeing someone throw up their arms in celebration after you help them tag-team a mob, or the satisfaction of ganging-up on a high level enemy with ten other people is just so so good.

I didn’t really get to do that much during this test beyond simply fiddling around with my class of choice; The Musketeer. Overall, I love it. It feels balanced with its abilities, the physical movements it takes to apply an effect to your shots are simple and fun - but take a bit to really get down, and I feel like the turret could lead to some really cool and dynamic playing.

As it stands, the only awkward part for me are the special bullets themselves. Some of them just seem too similar to others. The only ones I can reliably recognize are the Poison and Frost ones - especially when I’m in the middle of a fight and have to act fast. I realize you’re probably planning on adding more types of bullets, and their current visuals may not be final - but I feel like it warrants being said anyway.

Overall it was an incredibly fun experience, and I can’t wait to play some more! You guys are a huge inspiration, keep on being awesome! ^-^

1 Like

I can’t pick up loot because my avatar’s floor is slightly higher than that of the game’s ground. I’d literally have to smash a hole through my floor to be able to reach loot in the game. Ran into a few other players who were having a similar problem (their solution was to try and use the Warrior’s shield to prop it up a bit so that they could reach it with their freed hand). Did you guys consider having loot float midair, instead of resting on the floor?

For the quests it seemed like they randomly reset when I got killed but not all the time so maybe they got dropped. I did manage to complete the first quest as the shooter and the rune mage.

I had trouble with the arcane beam rune.

With the sword I had trouble throwing it with the oculus touch controllers.

Also the menu for moving items is a bit janky.

Yeah, I have similar issues with the Rift tbh, though it’s mainly due to having a smaller playspace and non-wall mountdd sensors. Tracking goes a bit wonky when trying to pick things up low on the floor - so grabbing loot was rather toublesome, taking multiple tries before finally getting the bag and hand to playnice and line–up :slight_smile:

Ah yeah, I think playspace definitely plays into it, mine’s pretty small. I ended up just giving up on trying to pick it up after a few hours of play, haha; left the fields littered with loot bags

I’m also on Rift… My game started off fine, loot-wise, and then at some point things got shifted out of reach like you’re describing. At someone’s suggestion, I logged out and re-ran the SteamVR room setup. When I logged back in to Orbus, everything was fine. Not ideal but if this happens to you again in a future test, it’s something to try.

I was on the Vive, even when there was only 2~3 players I was still lagging. At first I had like 5fps so I updated my NVIDIA drivers, that gave me ~+10fps and I just dealt with it and played because I thought “Well this is a pre-alpha, it’s fine.”. I have no fps issue with other VR games.

After installing 0.86 i didnt’ experience many bugs.

Bug for bag drop by monster who disapear when i grab it but except not a lot of thing.

The actual game show us that a mmovr is possible and with a lot more improvement it could be soooo funny.

PS : Musketeer is overpower :smiley:

Amazing Riley, I really loved playing your game. I really liked the Archer class a lot! If it was released just how it is, I would still play it to death.
These are a few things I noticed -

1. The hand orientation in game is wrong in game for touch controllers, when you hold the controllers button up irl your thumbs point up. However in the game it shows your hands as palms down which was initially very annoying.

2. There was the bag glitch, where when you grabbed the bag your hand and the bag would disappear.

3. Sometimes in VR (in general) there are height glitches. Maybe you could implement some sort of restriction on where your body can orientate? (If that’s even reasonable/possible) Really not your problem but it affects playability of the game.

4. Proximity chat within parties was kind of annoying, maybe this could be an option along with global chat?

5. My buddy said he kept getting a bug where everyone was half health and their names and gear all disappeared so they all looked the same.

I’m frankly shocked at how well you are doing with the time you’ve had. It’s nothing short of amazing, I really like your vision and you’ll have my money. Thank you for bringing us this game.

2 Likes

What are your system specs?

Thanks for the feedback, Blake! Noted on those issues.

Yeah currently you can’t leave the zone while you’re on the quest or it resets. The next test should fix that. And add a quest journal.

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah some of them like the healing orbs are very similar. However, after you’ve played it for awhile, you can really tell them apart. Keeping in mind that when you play ‘for real’ you won’t have all of them unlocked from level one, hopefully it won’t be too bad. Someone suggested having like a floating icon that appeared on them so you could more easily tell them apart, maybe we can do something like that.

Summary
	Operating System
		Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit
	CPU
		Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz	44 °C
		Haswell 22nm Technology
	RAM
		8,00 Go Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
	Motherboard
		ASRock B85 Pro4 (CPUSocket)	32 °C
	Graphics
		BenQ GW2265 (1920x1080@60Hz)
		NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)	40 °C
	Storage
		931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA)	29 °C
		111GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB (SSD)	30 °C
	Optical Drives
		DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
		DiscSoft Virtual SCSI CdRom Device
		ASUS DRW-24F1ST a
	Audio
		NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Awesome! It’ll be nice to be able to track our quests, it would also be nice if we could track our party members too. It wasn’t very fun when a party member died and nobody knew where they ended up. A friends list will be very helpful as well.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this game evolves in the future.

From the little i were able to play this seems like it will be promising and fun. I experienced a lot of crashing so i didnt get to play much. like crash every 5minute or so.
But at one point i got disconnected and i were able to put away my shield. Think it was a bug. But it was pretty awesome cause i could use my hand like i were taunting my oponent. would be nice to be able to do this.

Now regarding the crashing i read someone mention a version 0.86 that had much less crashing. i werent able to test that. My client were 0.85 im guessing autoupdater will come in the future.
For my VR specs its probably not “Supported” but worked for me.

Were using Mobile VR with Riftcat and Razer Hydra as “Htc vive controllers” no room scale tho. but in the future im gonna get either htc vive or NOLO VR. I can post pc specs if its needed.

Keep up the good work!

The first of many: https://youtu.be/ArL1Iahj5z0

More suggestions:

• If I’m crouched I can not access the backpack.
  • Improve the bow, the position of the hand is wrong angle in the Vive.
    And thanks for the experience, it was amazing.