First Time Players/Tutorial Feedback

I just noticed that i lost my ring

The ring was replaced with the Guardian Cloak, if you are talking about the Highsteppe ring you use to recieve during questing with Bart

Thank you for all the feedback on the tutorial/starter area, I will be reading through these throughout the week, and trying to make some tweaks/changes before before EA. I will go back through and hit a couple key points in the posts the following weeks when I start to work on everything, but just know I do appreciate all the insight of things I might have overlooked for the newer players, I’m just focusing on the broken quests during the first couple days of the test.

You may want Bart to at least mention warrior combos so new players know to ask around about them. Perhaps make it possible to have those combos added to your journal in some way.

The lady who gives you your dragon tells you to feed your pet often but does not explain how to feed your pet.

It seems to take quite a bit of shaking to get it to switch from damage to healing. Perhaps make it switch a bit easier with just a couple of shakes instead of 5 seconds worth of vigorous shaking.

Might I suggest having guardian bart discuss the journal before anything else. That way when things like that happen they know to just open the journal and read the quest.

oh wrong topic sorry, i thought i posted it in general feedback. No i’m talking about the other ring you get in the new quests. The highsteppe ring was a quest item so i couldn’t equip it but i get another one (can’t remember the name), i equipped it and yesterday i noticed it disappeared like the helmet

I will get something about grabbing loot into the tutorial.

We are still leaning towards wanting the players to have to interact with other players for the more “Advanced” parts of the game, like the Runemage class, although during the tutorial Bart does make mention of the witch and where to find here.

The Tutorial Area you start out is a personal instance, if you are ever wanting to do some personal practice you can go up there and fight the Practice Dummies.

If there was a journal page explaining the different Orbs for the musketeer and the special arrows for the Ranger, would that have been enough for you to figure them out, or do you feel like you would need more instructions (EX: and NPC that has a paragraph on each orb)

As a first time player in the tutorial, they would only be hurting themselves by cheating the intent of the tutorial and not preforming the task as the proper class, but they would still know how to use the basics of the class from the text. But they could also just skip the text if they choose.

This is a good point, that I think we can do a better job of letting players either know the specials or at least lead them to want to ask about them. (in a journal page,npc, something)

That is also something we do not explain to players in game, As a first time player, once you found your journal and figured out how to use it, did you read the Journal pages about “Death”, etc. I am curious if that was enough for players to understand game mechanics or if we needed to put it more in game like we did with Bart

We will get a journal page in game that explains the different “Rating” of the monsters and what each symbol represents

Also have a new question for the first time players, If you have talked to Ernest the Fisherman (Near Leisa Falls), how well was the fishing mechanics, along with lure crafting explained? Did it make sense or were you completely lost on how to fish even after the brief tutorial from Ernest?

I found Ernest informative but he gave me wrong items as far as I could tell. He said he was going to give lures and gave artificing items instead. I also did not find him soon enough. I had already gone to the wiki’s or figured it out myself.

okay ya yesterday he was giving out some wrong items, but that is fixed now, glad he could be helpful, but in game launch when you make a new character you wont have a fishing pole until you go and talk to him.

2 Likes

No, the Journal didn’t really help me in this regard. All I recall from the Death page for example, was about losing my tradable items if I don’t get my butt back to my tombstone.

Honestly, I didn’t even know that my health bar is attached to my weapons or shield. I thought the ‘Level’ bar you see when you look up was HP. Once I figured out what that actually was, I went and died a few times to see where my health bar was, what my regen in and out of combat was like, etc. Trial by fire, so to speak. :exploding_head:

okay, the journal page doesn’t explain the health bar, or any the other things, I meant if all those things you mentioned were in a journal page next to the Death journal page, would that be enough for new players to understand what everything is and where its located (maybe a picture of a weapon and a line explaining the various bars)

Is it possible to get the correct lure instead of the runesmith goggles that he gave me?

I’ve played MMOs that don’t teach basic mechanics before. The original Asheron’s Call, for example, didn’t teach mages new spell recipes. Instead you were supposed to learn them via trial and error, and from others in game. Instead, that information actually took players out of the game entirely, as they went to various websites for it. In fact, I recall the first (and last) time I asked for help from a guild mate on spells. The ‘help’ I got was a URL.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that unless you build in a mechanic whereby you somehow must receive instruction from more advanced players (Warrior Combos), the normal way the majority of players will learn them is from fansites, or a Wiki.

He actually wans’t suppose to give out a lure (wrong text should be fixed now)

Starter Area Harvesting:

I feel that the respawn rate of harvestable items such as reedflute might need to be bumped up a little when launch comes. I found myself running up and down the riverbank on each loggin in the hopes of finding ONE reedflute that was harvestable. The queens ear and roto spore felt like they were respawning at a decent rate at least :slight_smile:

One thing i was wondering, is it maybe possible that one day we can have our own instanced garden area in our homes to plant some ingrediants for making potions? :smiley:

1 Like

First time player. The to tutorial was straight and to the point. If this is the first vr game someone has played, they might not be able to pick up the controls so quickly. I played a lot recroom adventures and the controls are kinda similar.
I’ve seen others post about the warrior combos. If it could be add to your Journal or the tutorial, that would be awesome.

I feel like I would have figured it out from there yeah. I’m just not incredibly observant I suppose as the icons are clearly different and I assumed they were the same for some reason. Heck the tutorial guy explains the orbs in one part so I should have figured it out from there.
It’s also good to know about the dummies. I stumbled into one near the player house and played around attacking that to try and understand combos a bit better. I think I’m starting to get it now.

I would like to point out a small thing that may be helpful to some or just something that has already been said and I am sorry if it has but its a very big thing that I see all the time. Runemages, This is not going to be easy! Its not supposed to be easy. You are a mage starting off and shouldnt be able to master it off the bat! Thats why you train. No one gets good overnight. Each spell is a little more difficult than the previous so take your time and practice the spell first until you get it down pat then move on to a more difficult one! Yes runemage is the most interactive but it takes a lot of time, effort, and dedication.

2 Likes

As a newbie, I was a bit confused at the start… I didn’t know until reading forums about combos for warrior and took a bit before I realized I was trying to kill rats with healing orbs. I think additional tool tips, especially at the beginning would be helpful. For example, have an orbs description pop up when you place it in a slot, versus having to hold your hand over each one. This could be a tutorial option you could select in your settings to turn on or off.

Also, while the compass is helpful, I find the map is not. Trying to find where I was going wasn’t easy at first. It may be helpful to allow for an additional overlay with an arrow for a quest you can select to point you in the general direction, will allow for easier navigation throughout the game. In addition, a more interactive map that shows where you are in relation to where you’re going would be nice. It could pop up by tilting the compass, and you can see a close up version of where you are. Perhaps these are things that I’m missing, as I’ve only played for about 5 hours total, but if those options are available, I’ve missed them.

Hey there, we’re working on adding a lot more information for each class to the tutorial, with signs that have tips and general info on how to play a class, so you can expect that to be added to the game soon :slight_smile:

I’ll write down your suggestions about the mapping issues and we’ll look into it. Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes