First Time Players/Tutorial Feedback

As a new player I didn’t know anything I just asked someone wondering about for some guidance and bam sorted. Didn’t even know how to open my journal lol

I did talk about the tutorial over here Closed Beta 4 Feedback

I am a completely new player

Made a new character and ran the tutorial. Couple thoughts:

The opening cinematic gave me a Missed frames warning several times. 1070 GPU. FX8350 CPU. Game runs fine on standard. High starts heavy reprojection and ultra makes my pc explode. (My CPU is old)

Musketeer: When it teaches you about the turret I mechanically picked it up and shook it. Well you can’t put it back so I had to wait for it to recharge as I went to the board by the dummies. After reading the board I tossed the turret up in the air. I didn’t realize that it wouldn’t hit anything from that far back (That far back meaning the sign, which as a ranged class I assume most players will try to hit the target from there) So again I had to wait for the turret to respawn before I could toss it closer.

The warrior page is not in the journal though the musketeer and ranger pages are.

Otherwise the tutorial seems good.

thanks for the feedback, i can move the musketeer board farther forward and this might solve the problem, also i just finished working on the additional warrior pages (including the warrior combos) today so it will be out in the next patch

1 Like

Just catching up on the Discord discussion and noticed a player lost his sword (replaced by a dev) but it got me thinking. Should a player decide they’re gonna do the Warrior class and destroy all of their other starting weapons without knowing they might need them, what would they do if they wanted to switch to Musketeer later?
Could there be a way for Guardian Bart to have replacement gear in such cases. Make the gear non-profitable when deconstructing so there’s no way for someone to use it as a cheaty way of making dram/shards.

1 Like

Its just a bug for now, we will set the starting weapons to be non-destructible, but it is a problem right now in game. If it does happen let us know on here and we can get the weapon replaced until we get it fixed

1 Like

Cant you just shoot the orb? Thats what i do and poof! Its back in my pocket. //New player

I think if you shoot it it increases the cool down even further. I’d have to test it again but I think shooting the turret is one of those last resort things that destroys the turret and increase the cool down. I don’t play musk much so I could be blowing smoke lol

I know you guys are working hard on many things at once and your doing an awesome job. I was just wondering the time frame when your expecting to have the quest/speech Icons changed?

1 Like

Hopefully this week.

2 Likes

I revisited the tutorial area the other evening and it was 10 times more informative now compared to when I first started playing. I never realised the shield would block my attacks to lol.

1 Like

Glad it made more sense to you, there are also Journal Pages that have been added to the tutorial including the advanced Sword combos, but the only way to view those would be starting an Alt character and playing through the tutorial again.

I just started playing for the first time tonight about an hour and a half ago. I’m playing on a Windows MR headset via Steam VR; I don’t know if that’s affecting me as far missing basic instructions for how to play, or if those just don’t exist in the game. I did see the sign near Guardian Bart to wave to him to start, and moved closer to him by figuring out that while my thumbsticks appear to be useless, the trackpads can be used for teleportation, but when it got to the part where he tells me to approach a dummy and draw my sword, the game essentially hits a complete standstill because as I look around I don’t see anything that looks like a dummy or any instructions how to draw or use a weapon, or open any sort of menu. So I took off my headset, walked to my PC and searched how to open a menu, figuring there would be a “controls” section to that that I could read and be on my way. The instructions I found on the Orbus VR blog to open a menu were to use the swipe down gesture. That did not open a menu. I pressed the menu button on my controller, and that opened a menu, where i found that the gesture was disabled by default, and while there are locomotion settings, there is no explanation for controls. It took a frustratingly long time to come up with instructions on drawing weapons and shields having to go back and forth between my headset and my monitor. So at this point, through no help from the tutorial I am able to move, open a menu, equip gear, and finally draw weapons. Still not quite sure where the dummy is or how to attack it once I do find it, but I’ll try for a little while longer. I’ve learned from the responses on this feedback request that a journal exists, and with further searching (after going back to my headset to check the menu for the journal only to not find it), I may have found how to open it (unless those instructions are out of date, there’s really no way to know because these are resources outside of the game) so I hoping the journal might have something to add that Guardian Bart neglected to mention. Again, I’m not sure if this is because things failed to appear on screen for me because of some bug or because I’m using Windows MR instead of a Rift or Vive, but as it stands, this game feels like it is unplayable without heavy reliance on outside resources.

Yes everything you were trying to find is explained in game, and it must be a bug because of the Windows MR. Thank you for letting us know, and we will be getting this bug fixed ASAP. I will PM you the beginning instructions (not ideal, but should let you complete the tutorial until we get this bug fixed).

Hey Jason! I just went through this to confirm the messages were still showing up and that a bug hadn’t been introduced that removed them. I’ve pasted them here for reference.

Just for clarification were none of these messages showing up for you? On the Vive the message explaining how to unsheathe your weapon appears next to the controller in a tool tip style window and causes the controller to pulse. Were you unable to see the dummy or the sign?

Those tooltips with the instructions for basic controls did not appear, and the dummy and and sign did not appear. Upon restarting, the dummy and sign did appear, but the tooltips are still missing for me. Again, I don’t have a Vive, I’m using a Windows MR headset (the acer one specifically) with their associated controllers, so that may be why the control tooltips are not showing up. I got past the dummy, and was killed by the rabbit-looking thing in the next task. I’m probably missing something about combat, I’ll try fighting the rabbit thing again.

Okay ya its a bug with that particular headset, we have tested some of the windows headsets but not all of them, so thanks for the bug. There should be a sign on the outside of the arena (near the rock wall) that explains alot of the fighting mechanics. and also dont forget to use your shield (left hand grip behind your head to take out shield)

I definitely had my shield out, and tried to have it in front of me for the most part. I was able to get past the rest of the tutorial to the point where Bart tells me how to use the compass after trying that rabbit again, though I’m still not convinced I’m doing combat right, but I’ll try again.

Just checking in to see if you made it through the tutorial, once in the overworld there are no other tool tips that pop from the controllers so you should be good.

Made a new toon yesterday for the achievement challenge and noticed again that the mouths are defaulting to mouth #1, regardless of selecting other styles. Took notice of other players today in the interview, and everyone has the same mouth.