First Time Players/Tutorial Feedback

Thanks for the report. That’s peculiar, we’ll look into it!

I’m going to do my best not to read through all the feedback already given, to give a purely fresh perspective.

Just bought the game a few days ago and tried it for the first time last night. As a long time MMO player, there were a lot of things that felt natural, and a lot of things that didn’t initially.

The first thing I tried to do when I loaded in was figure out movement. Teleporting was easy enough, but not being able to move my camera as a purely front facing user was very irritating. I eventually dug around the settings menu and found the settings to allow me to move my camera, but maybe something in the initial setup about selecting your settings based on your setup would help there.

As far as content, the tutorial did a decent job of teaching the basics. It took me a little while to find where my health bar was and while the Journal entry for Death explained a little, I’m still figuring out how health regeneration and stuff works. I remember being told there are combos for classes like the warrior, but no mention of what they are or how to do them. While I had the Musketeer loadout equipped, it took me a really long time to figure out how to load the floating balls into the gun to get the special shot, and I’m not sure if they’re gone after I use them or if they’re on a cool down. Putting that information on the tool tip would be awesome. I’ve slept since I played last night, but I recall not having a good way of telling where I was going to shoot with the bow. Several of my shots went to the left (right handed shooter), and I had to hold everything basically right in front of me to get it to go where I was trying to aim at. Maybe a reticle of some kind? (Unless there is one and I was just too blind to see it).

I’ve only made it as far as killing the King Stag for the meat and now have to go find the chef. I’m looking forward to playing more and seeing the exciting development of the game!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the feedback!
About the camera, can you describe what you mean? the moving forward orientation?

For the class information, warrior combos are displayed in the journal, but you’re right, the musketeer orbs don’t say to grab them and put them inside your gun. (They are on a cooldown, by the way.)

There’s no reticle for the bow, it’s mostly a matter of practice and intuitive aiming right now. The arrow aims at the direction between your two hands so after a while you get more used to aiming with your hands in that way.

Keep it coming, we appreciate it!

By moving my camera (I could have been more specific, sorry), I meant being able to move my camera around without moving/looking. I found the option to move the camera with the stick on the touch controller, which feels much easier to me since I’m only front facing.

Thank you for that information! I played Musketeer and before ending for the evening I tried messing around with the balls and figured it out. It’s great to know they’re on a cool down and not used up.

Now that I know the bow is meant to be skill intensive, it makes much more sense! I think for me, coming from non-physical MMOs to a VR one creates learning gaps because of how you expect something to work but can work completely differently because it isn’t automated (which is a good thing!)
I appreciate the response and look forward to figuring out more!

1 Like

Definitely. Once you unlock Runemage you’ll see that it’s skill intensive in a completely different way. All of the classes kind of have that in a way. Warrior needs practice to pull off combos (and is also physically tiring to play.) and you have to learn the pacing of the Musketeer orbs on top of aiming too.

Let us know if you have any other questions or issues!

1 Like

I just bought the game and played for 2-3 hours. I knew basically nothing about Orbus except I heard it had come a long way. Here is my feedback on the new player experience.

• Introducing all 3 “classes” was good. You should clarify that your level is linked to whatever weapon class you use. I was worried at first that I had to pick in that moment what I was going to be.
  • Tooltips on orbs/arrows should add more clarity especially things like weakness and shield. I had to play around with them to realize I should shoot the ground with my shield orb.
  • Please please voice the tutorial. I don’t care if later quests aren’t voiced but it is oh so important to get the tutorial voiced or you will lose new players.
  • I did not realize voice was on by default but it was an awesome experience to just randomly talk to people in this game. The social aspect of this game has huge potential. I think added features that bring players together will be big. Things like a fire that anyone around can come get a buff from or “cook” a meal on for a buff.
  • Some kind of indicator that loot I am picking up is associated with a quest. An icon on the item would be helpful. Same with mobs. Having a little icon near their name that identifies them as a quest target would help ease players in.
  • It seems like its all fetch quests and they are not well dressed up. I know you are later in the dev cycle so changing quests up now would be tough but getting hit with 4-5 right away felt like I now had a job. The lack of showing what my reward would be at the end didn’t make me inclined to do them.

If I think of more as I progress I will add it here!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.