Free Weekend helped me decide on getting this game: I'm not

Thank God there was a free weekend, because there is absolutely no way in hell I would ever pay $39.99 for whatever the hell is going on within OrbusVR. I understand, I get it. It’s in alpha, but to charge 40 dollars for what’s in the game right now is laughable, almost inexcusable.

• Musketeers are awful, and are apparently the Clerics/Healers in the game? Despite them having much more range than Archers?

• I can’t outheal damage I take from an enemy as a Musketeer, because a healing Orb isn’t enough, I also need to throw out my Healing Sentry - which doesn’t visually indicate if it’s in a healing mode or not (or if there is, I’m not seeing it).

• The map doesn’t seem to tell me where I am, I can’t customize my compass markers so there’s just a mess of triangles on my compass that i have to slowly sweep through to find where I need to go.

• The game uses the worst mode of transport in any game in where I thought it was agreed upon that moving similar to a joystick would be the default mode of transport from now on.

• Archer is alright I suppose, but I dare not attack an enemy because of how clunky it is to load up an arrow, let alone an ability arrow. In fact, the only class worth using that isn’t completely awful right now is warrior, and even then I can’t even tell if I’m blocking damage or not.

This game is just a mess. I’m sorry, but I needed to vent. I don’t even understand why there’s a cooldown for navigating the world, lol?

There’s no player conveyance, the tutorial is half-assed, only barely teaching you half of one class. There’s no way to back up aside from turning around and spamming A or X, so godspeed if you’re in combat and need to get distance as a Musketeer or Archer. This game is in bad shape for $40.

Hey if this game isn’t for you, that’s just fine. I’m sure the devs will use your feedback to improve the game - they have a proven track record of being responsive and quick to address the playerbase’s concerns. I’d like to comment on a couple of your statements in case others find it useful information.

Regarding the value of the game, I’ve played for 600+ hours, and considering there are no monthly fees, it’s been a real bargain.

For warrior, you can tell if you’re blocking damage by the tapping sound made on your shield. You’ll need to position your shield in front of you, close to your body, at the start of the attack animation.

Musketeer turrets are black for healing, red for damage.

Have a good weekend!

5 Likes

Most of the learning in this game comes from asking other more experienced players, or just reading this forum for advice.

Hi there, I’m sorry you had a poor experience. We certainly appreciate the feedback and I thought I could maybe respond to some of your points and help.

You have multiple types of healing orbs, using two or more should let you stay ahead of enemy damage depending on the level - and your turret changes color and makes a sound effect when you shake it to toggle healing mode.

You can toggle on this type of movement in the options menu, it’s called sliding locomotion and most of the playerbase uses it. I suppose we don’t have it on by default for comfort’s sake since some players get sick in VR with that type of movement, but we absolutely support it.

What seems to be the issue with loading arrows? We can take your feedback and improve it.

If you speak to Guardian Bart again he will give you information for the other classes and much more, we felt it better to leave it there so that players aren’t forced to go through pages of explanations before they can step into the game. And I think knowing the sliding locomotion exists should help those issues with backing off in combat. (There is a sprint in combat, if you try it out by the way by using the grip and sliding in combat. It uses stamina at about the same rate as teleporting.)

7 Likes

I’ll forgive your opinions but your post screams “User Error” .

7 Likes

You’re probably right. Maybe if I spam the trigger fast enough, I can shoot more than once per second, and maybe I can survive literally any enemy even after initiating from maximum distance. Oh wait.

That’s fine, I can always outheal the enemy with not just one, but two healing abilities. Oh wait.

All good, I can simply back up mid-combat and maintain distance. Oh. Wait.

User Error doesn’t override poor game mechanics, poor player conveyance, and poor level balance.

Ooh boy you must’ve had a really rough time. As a player with a couple hundred hours or so into the game I can say out of the VR titles available it’s definitely worth the 40 dollars for me. That doesn’t mean it’s for everyone but I think the game is worth the money. You deserve some real answers here so I’ll take some time to go through point by point. Take all of this with a grain of salt, you may have been experiencing some lag as orbus isn’t used to this kind of server load.

1.) Muskets are incredibly powerful healers, so much so that in PvP they’re nearly unkillable if talented at all. An averagely talented Ranger can beat a musket in range, especially on larger targets, their dps far surpasses musket.

2.) The best approach with muskets is to run your renew(periodic heal, huge output, 100% uptime easily), lifewell(area effect heal, stability tool), cure wounds(burst heal, long cd) and poison( main damage source). Then if you’re fighting something difficult you can use heal turret and go slow or if you’re stable you can go damage turret for some extra dps. Musket is all about taking it slow and sustaining a fight indefinitely. There is a difference in the turret but it’s not super apparent so you kind of have to get to know the difference. The sound it makes when it changes mode is different for each mode. When thrown out damage turret is red and heal turret is black but at that point it doesn’t do a ton of good.

3.) A big part of navigating orbus is to get to know the area. You can rely on the map to get your bearings if you look for landmarks but yeah it doesn’t tell you outright where you are. That’s a bit of the idea of making it feel like you’re actually there. Some people enjoy the realism of that some people don’t. That said there are also road signs and if you try to triangulate your position using the compass waypoints you should be able to figure out where you are. If you’re ever lost you can usually ask someone for directions.

4.) I don’t really know what you mean here. Orbus has a couple of modes of transport, sliding and teleporting. This is pretty standard for VR games I’ve played. Granted you have to rely on the teleport in combat where sliding is slowed down to balance things a bit.

5.) Archer is a really strong class in that they’re balanced in damage output and survivability (decent health pool and armor). I’m not sure why you were having difficulties knocking the arrows that might have been lag or something. The archer mechanics are very similar to a variety of vr archery games. Quiver, Lab archery game. They’re pretty much the same system. If you block an attack as warrior you’ll hear a collision sound as it hits your shield instead of your body. There’s also a collision animation that appears on the shield but it’s a bit difficult to see, the biggest tell is that the blue health bar on your shield will go down if you block an attack. Warrior is a blast that’s my main class. They can be really exhausting though because of the combos you have to pull off. I can assure you that all the classes are strong and playable right now. There are plenty of players who are pulling off perfect execution of these classes so again I feel that your experience might be related to server/system issues.

What do you mean when you say a cooldown to navigating the world? As in the cooldown on teleport movement? That’s just to balance out movement speed for gathering PvP and other reasons you don’t want people moving at warp speed.

Orbus does rely on you learning the game mechanics through experimentation and finding the secrets of the world yourself, that said there’s a decent class guide in the journal that explains most of what the tutorial doesn’t. If you’re using slide movement you can drag your thumb back to move backwards otherwise you can teleport without aiming behind your back.

Anyways that’s just my experience with Orbus, I think it’s a great game well worth the money but if you don’t enjoy it that’s just how it is. Sorry you didn’t have the same enjoyment with it that I have. Also that post got super long. my b

12 Likes

Not sure if this is your issue with knocking arrows but I’ve come across one person (Won’t name them) who was trying to load the arrows with the arrow pointing in the realistic orientation. You don’t have to do this, you can load an arrow as long as it’s close enough to the string and it will correct it’s orientation for you.

4 Likes

I honestly cannot justify $40 for the state of this game, and I cannot recommend this to any friends until I personally see improvements that I think others would be interested in.

If I have to refer to a site out of the game or other players, then this game severely lacks player conveyance.

For the sake of clarification, I will respond to the following bullet points:

• You have multiple types of healing orbs, using two or more should let you stay ahead of enemy damage depending on the level - and your turret changes color and makes a sound effect when you shake it to toggle healing mode.

I’m fighting enemies within the same town that the NPC had me go to, and I cannot outheal any of them. Morover, I cannot even deal enough damage at maximum range to tank enough to secure a kill, even after using a Weakness + Poison ability.

• What seems to be the issue with loading arrows? We can take your feedback and improve it.

Because of the way the tutorial is designed, I must have spent around 10 minutes trying to figure out how to work the bow & arrow. There’s no quiver on my back in the inventory menu, nor is there a quiver on my physical chest, so there’s no indication that there’s anything on me. I spammed the buttons and it wasn’t until I heard another player speak about it, that I figured it out. There’s 5 circles on the bow that I’ve no idea what they’re there for since I didn’t want to slowly shift my way back to the tutorial NPC; I recommend a quick-guide on the journal itself summarizing what the NPC spoke about.

• If you speak to Guardian Bart again he will give you information for the other classes and much more, we felt it better to leave it there so that players aren’t forced to go through pages of explanations before they can step into the game. And I think knowing the sliding locomotion exists should help those issues with backing off in combat. (There is a sprint in combat, if you try it out by the way by using the grip and sliding in combat. It uses stamina at about the same rate as teleporting.)

As a gamer and an Game Design student, there’s nothing more I appreciate more than information, especially when given to me at the start. While I understand the concern of not overloading the player with information, I think a good course of action is to separate tutorial information into categories, even make it accessible in the journal, that way the journal can be that much more used, if not for just using the map. The signs just before the main starting town could be used to give even more information about the specific classes if need be.

just to be sure, when trying to heal yourself u are actually shooting yourself/the ground where u are standing with the healing bullet, and not just loading it and then fireing it away into a mob, right? because for starters a cure wounds takes you from 20% health to 100% health with just that one, and i watched a guy kill redtails in HS as a level one and a musket with only a life well healing him he was fine
musket OP can confirm, cannot kill in pvp unless you have 2+ dps, and even 2 is cutting it short

Movement is restricted when in combat to avoid dancing with monster indefinitely.

You might be fighting monsters too high of a level at which case it would make sense that you can’t out heal them. I would suggest try going for yellow diamond monsters until you get more comfortable with the mechanics. As the game would want you to use the most of the mechanics it would make sense to have to use your sentry.

Maps are hard to use in real life. Orient your compass to north. The top of the map is north, and good luck. The timeline of the game currently does not support GPS. So paper, compass and a keen eye.

The game uses the most used methods of movement in VR games. Teleport, sliding and combinations of smooth and discrete rotation.

Try to play with other players. This game is a big social game where as a healing class you should team up with other classes.

There will be bugs and life accommodations that can be made to improve the game. However seeing that the resources to maintain it, whilst and be pumping out updates at the rate at which the developers are making them I think this game is currently worth $40. If you look at the steam page you will see that team is dedicated to continue progressing the game. As such it is not a stale VR game and with the player base it already has and the content I think it is worth the price.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I’m just having a really bad time, and I can’t see myself recommending OrbusVR to any of my friends at this current moment in time. Maybe when I cool off and give the game another fair shake my opinions will change, but right now it has been nothing but frustrating.

Yeah, I’m shooting the ground where I stand on, the one that heals in an AoE.

As a musket the gameplay is… well, slow. They’re healers, and with a combination of healing orbs you can more or less solo even group elites. I’d also like to point out that they most definitely don’t have longer range than an archer.

As an archer I can engage targets at 60m out, the maximum that an enemy will even attack at. Any farther and they simply reset. I’ve even managed to hit small class targets at 100m out.

One trick to playing with the bow is holding it sideways, not vertically. Think video game style rogue with shortbow stance.

The maps don’t show anything. They’re just that, maps. Paper maps, not a gps. It doesn’t take long at all to learn your way around the entire world, once you’ve spent some time at 20 you’ll know it like the back of your hand.

It also seems you haven’t even made it to unlocking the mage class, which is the most truly unique in Orbus. That said, if your posts above are any indication I’m not sure you’d enjoy it.

3 Likes

The beginning of the game is paramount for player retention. I find it strange that the first class explained to me by the tutorial NPC is the healing class of all things. I’m treating the healing class like a ranged DPS because I’m used to gunner classes doing ranged damage… not healing. I wouldn’t have so much issue with the map either if the fog wasn’t so close to me.

I’ve found that to be a commom misconception. It’s not exactly logical to think that the guy with the gun can ONLY heal, or that warriors can only tank. Rangers and Runemages are the game’s only dps classes.

1 Like

Also, wait. Fog? What fog? You mean the game’s draw distance? How far you can see?

Couple meters out on Ultra.

Are Rangers and Runemages advanced classes?

Please take a screenshot!

I’ve literally never heard of any fog in my time of playing lol

2 Likes