Gold Rush: Live Thread (Questions, Support, Problems, etc.)

Hey everyone,

We’re spinning up a live thread to handle issues and answer questions for the Gold Rush event today, which begins in approximately 5 hours from the time of this post. We’re anticipating a lot of new people trying out the game today, and a heavy server load, so please help us out by welcoming all the new folks and if you have a chance, hop on and help us make VR history!

If you have any questions, problems with the game, or there are just general server issues, feel free to ask about them here and we’ll try and respond as quickly as possible. I’ll also update this thread if there are any problems on our end we need to make you aware of. Thanks!

5 Likes

If I log in through steamvr, with a Vive, will I still get the cape?

2 Likes

yes, you will, you just won’t be able to participate in the Oculus Gold Rush event itself, but you will get the achievement and cape

The achievement will be in game and on the oculus store but not steam

Hello, sadly I won’t be able to join the event due to being away from my home, although I have a friend with a rift who can join for me, is it allowed? Or would it be counted as a multiple entry(it shouldn’t, since I have played normally yesterday with my own Rift) since he wants to join the event too, after I told him?

I wish I wasn’t working today so I could stay logged in to socialize and welcome all the new players!

@Riley_D can you write me a doctors note?

Dear Brandon_H1’s employer,

Please excuse this person from work, since we have a major event going on today, and they want to socialize with all the new players. They have want-to-be-in-VR-itis, which as you know, if not cured, can lead to insanity or even permanent disability. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Riley, who is not a doctor, but sometimes plays one in VR

21 Likes

I mean, that’s really more of an Oculus question, but I don’t have a problem with it.

Just as a heads up, as we approach the “witching hour” of 3 PM Central / 1 PM Pacific, we will likely be employing a couple of things to help reduce server load so we can squeeze as many folks online as possible:

1. The population cap of each zone will be increased.
  2. The “update tick rate” of the zone will be reduced. This may lead to things like people’s hands seeming to update less smoothly. (Note that we will not apply this to dungeons just in case people are actually doing those).

So just FYI in case you start seeing anything weird going on.

Thanks!

3 Likes

wait there was a population cap? I never noticed; what is it currently at?

Am I missing something?.. So I heard about the game now with the gold rush event… It’s quite convenient that it has a free weekend so we can try it… All good so far.
Downloaded it… installed it… created a character (that part was kinda wonky, since I don’t mind taking the headset off to register, used to playing VR games like Elite:D or Fallout where you have to do a bunch of out-of game clicking / troubleshooting to get things going… but here I entered my login details on that silly keyboard a bunch of times and took me some time to figure out I have to press the enter on that keyboard to get the data in the actual field… - I was trying to click behind it / move the keyboard panel and going crazy that I cannot see the panel behind it… Maybe some coloring for that enter button or a ‘Done’ sign instead would be nice… )
So I created my character. Yes, graphics are really crude and dated even for VR so I was kinda surprised by that, but whatever… large-scale games usually have to cut back on those due to performance problems… so all good…

However… here come the real issues…
The Compass is just implemented in one of the most horrible ways… I did manage to use it as a new player, but it felt weird and uncomfortable… (especially trying to turn it upside down for the first time… was literally twisting my wrist, till I figured out the way it was ‘intended’…) Why can’t there be a simple HUD compass down below or up above my head where my level is displayed?.

The weapons… why do they have to stick to my hands?.. I was spending more time trying to put them away than using them… If I let go of something in VR with releasing the grip button, I expect it to let go of my hand… The grip button was designed so that it can be held comfortably for an infinite amount of time… no need to make the weapons be so sticky, or at the very least make some easier way of sheathing them, like a button or the click of the stick or whatever… I was reaching behind my back, mashing the grip button and still it wouldn’t disappear from my hands.

And of course last of all the reason I decided to post in the first place… I literally cannot advance… The opening tutorial mission showed me how to pick flowers… how to shoot the musket… and then sent me to kill some stag. I went out the gates, down the stairs… through the village… found some Stag… guess what… I do almost no damage to it… it does a ton of damage to me… I died about 7-11 times so far… as I cannot kill a single creature anywhere in the zone… tried all the weapons (the bow was the most annoying with not being able to properly choose my euipped ability arrows… - no idea how that works… took me some time to at least figure out I’m supposed to reach behind for the arrows as well as I was trying to pick up the ability arrows off my belt and ended up only being able to pick up the harvesting tool)
But anyway… what am I supposed to do? Like I’m really trying to be nice here and give it a chance… most people would’ve given up and deleted the game in this situation, but literally I’ve no idea what the game expects from me at this point. There wasn’t a single game in history (and that includes dark souls: prepare to die - which kinda has it in the title) where I died this many times in this short amount of time… and I’ve been playing video games for 15 years or so… so maybe… just maybe you need some more work on those tutorial missions… or at least have the person level up in a starting zone before sending him out to kill stuff that can defeat them with a few hits…

My apologies if I got it wrong, hence why I started with the ‘am I missing something?’ part, normally this would be something I’d post in the review section along with like a 2 star-ish rating, but figured I might as well do it here since it wouldn’t have enough space anyway :slight_smile:

Cheers…

They said they can support 2k and maybe 3k players!

Try killing some redtails by the farm. Go for diamond yellow if you see any and then if you are feeling adventurous for pink triangles.

You will most likely find better enjoyment by grouping up with other people as their classes would complement yours. A warrior is a tank and can take more hits, a musketeer can heal, the ranger does damage but squishy, mages also do damage if you see them.

Try to get some mechanics down before you try to solo by ‘helping’ out others already killing mobs. It took me a while as a mage before I dared to hit pink triangles alone.

Oh, well when starting a game I have never ever played before I usually prefer to get things down and gain a couple of levels on my own before teaming up with other people and hindering them with my noobishness…
So yea, I don’t really want to group up just yet… even turned voice chat off as it doesn’t have push-to-talk so I don’t want everyone hearing my typing here haha :slight_smile:

Okay, I’ll forget about the Stag and try going around and attempting to kill different kinds of creatures… maybe I’ll find one that will actually be killable solo…

Thanks!

It is close to the player house, on a farm. These are the mobs for new players to try.

It’s now at 80, it was at 60 before. When you have more people into a zone than that it creates a new instance of the zone with different people, but if you are in a party it should put you in the same instance.

To clarify, that’s the “soft cap”, each zone can hold up to 100 in general, but we keep the soft cap low so that people in the same party can be put into the same zone.

Hi, I’m new to the game and downloaded it today seeing the free weekend. I’ve never really played a game like this and I’m having the best time playing so thanks for the awesome game. The few people I’ve spoken to within the game all offered to help and told me some things about the game and gave me a lot to help out.

After the weekend is up I think I’ll definitely be playing it and I’m interested in joining this gold rush event that’s going on in half an hour?

My only question is I’m from the uk so will this affect my ability to earn prizes? I’m still going to play but just wanted to find out what’s happening for non us players

Keep up the awesome work!

3 Likes

That’s more of an Oculus question, here are the official rules: https://www.oculus.com/legal/rift-gold-rush/

Glad you’re enjoying the game!