Level Scaling Request for Removal

Certain games benefit from no level-scaling, runescape is one that come to mind. The open-world is not level-scaled but dungeons and such are. But orbus doesn’t have the activity count nor the number of activities that runescape does.

Granted, I’ve never played orbusvr preborn and have no idea what it was like when there were no level-scaling. But my experience with reborn, I never felt that I was unable to go somewhere if I was within the level requirement for the area. I never really noticed level-scaling actually because I was never in that environment were level-scaling was off.

• confirmed by the previous post x3 -

No one is asking for this… you didn’t see many people one shotting the lvl 20 worms in OG did you? I’m talking about the stuff that is way below my level having to take more than one hit before it dies. It makes me feel weak that something that is regarded as the weakest mob in the game doesn’t even die from a single hit from me.

Don’t know why people downplay the feeling of being strong so much. It is a really big deal to a lot of people.

It was great, you missed out.

It’s not about not being able to go places because things are scaled. It’s about feeling strong because you are able to destroy things that are far beneath you in terms of level.

Right right, I guess in that sense yea. I never really focused on that.

Idk, I can one shot animals now. Ones that kicked my butt at lvl 1. But I’m guessing that’s not exactly enough, not farmable. But gave me that sense of power.

@Indiana_Mishka_Jones…The no challenge is expected when you reach the end game of any game. It was the reward to the rest of us that was taken away, I totally disagree with you and this i the point of this thread. If both games merged together as different worlds where stats differ between worlds, then you can continue to enjoy the garbage while we can get rewarded for our hard work that we put in. My wrist hurts from all the grinding…

1 Like

non-level scaling = for people who want to have real fun and are actually there for that reason regardless…

1 Like

I am curious about the motivation why lvl scaling is ruining the game so much? What are you doing in orbus that it bothers you that much? Sure its fun to kill a way lower monster once or twice and think hey I am strong now. Or help someone out rarely where you burn the mobs down without effort (btw I would feel guilty not strong). But those are rare occasions and not something huge fundementially I spend much time around for me in Orbus daily. So for the ppl who do have a complete disgust to it, what would you do in the game if they remove lvl-scaling completely? And how much playtime goes in that?

2 Likes

Its about the rewards and achievements. I dont’ want to break my wrist killing stuff I earned the right to kill one shot. It ruins training, it ruins friendships, it ruins the point of gathering…

Why can’t you get it?

Again, in a two-tiered world of Orbus (old and new) we would all get what we wants since the rules would/should work according to which world you are actually in… Making all of us Happy!!!

1 Like

Why not a way to be able to activate none level-scaling then, like a potion or something. I’m trying to give alternatives here.

2 Likes

Or that if they would allow

+1

Scale event rewards negatively towards your level so level 30’s aren’t seriously farming highsteppe gate. Don’t allow class swapped xp, so you can beat the event at level 30 then swap at the end.

Fix item drop rates on stuff like mage reagents where higher level mobs are more worthwhile.

Remove the grinder requirement to farm lower level mobs. Just make it somewhat XP based (possibly with some scaling vs low level mobs, in case you are farming specific items but you are 1-shotting).

Juicen up the end-game areas in fun/rewards/things to fight/things to do.

Make higher level / more challenging world events more rewarding.

Give me a reason to enjoy highsteppe/lower level areas even if I am max level. Give me positive unforced incentives to want to level alts, ie make classes enjoyable/uniquely desriable, ie can’t do it purely through daily missions. Also not like “for every class you have max, +50 luck or +100 damage…” as this would be dumb and forced. I feel like this part doesn’t need to explained to any gamer.

Etc.

2 Likes

@Scott Why in the old Orbus, whenever I saw you, you were always in dungeons and now I see you at events. Clearly, Orbus isn’t what it used to be…

1 Like

I’m also trying to give easy alternatives. If the devs don’t want to do something, they don’t have to.

@James_B2 the wildlife are not level scaled. They were at first, but as a compromise the scaling was removed from them. They were also originally added in response to mob variety as more of a decoration, and ended up mainly dropping fishing lure stuff. They’re a direct product of community feedback, from existence to making them drop more lure parts to removing their scaling.

In OG, I didn’t mind dying repeatedly. It was always a challenge to overcome, from being creamed by king stag (the original beginner mob outside of the instanced tutorial) 17 times in a row while I adjusted to “panic casting” until I could kill them, though not so much by leveling up, but by honing my newb mage skills (can’t level up if you keep dying anyway! Had to survive and win eventually, then leveling came after). It felt like we needed 3 people to get those Cenn’s Farm redtails for those first two fighting in-town quests. Then feeling like we had our legs, that we’d moved forward, go downstairs, think we can hold our own, ALMAS SPRITES!!! Figure out almas sprites, think we got’em, but little did we know the horrors of the Narrow Orchard Infested Sprites xD at level ~6, about six of us are trying to carefully pick one out, we’d all jump on it, aight cool, next pull a few came - and everyone ran screaming, some fighting to the death, some chased down halfway across that little town (me). But it wasn’t a struggle that lasted forever, it was a mountain to climb, and we danced at the top. Also, armored wargs! Oof. And this is all just part of the Midlands. After having leveled, if we didn’t want to kill things too easily for a lower level, all we had to do was equip a lower level weapon to cap ourselves. For me, I wouldn’t attribute my preference to “power fantasy” so much as feeling like I’d accomplished something. Instead of treading water forever, I’d learned to swim. I can appreciate the arguement to keep scaling based on skill increasing to survive, but it’s still a bit too much of a struggle for my liking. Plus my complete inability to save anyone.

With Reborn, the scaled monsters are mostly the exact same difficulty as day one, maybe a bit less, or something I never stood a chance against much anyway. As a mid-20s shaman, I made a new friend and was helping him as a level 6. If he aggro’ed a monster accidentally (vs we intentionally started the fight) he pretty much always died. I couldn’t save him. Half the time I’d die too. When I didn’t die, it was usually because I ran. Some I did manage to finish the fight, but why should I fight alone, him try to run back from the cemetery we’re not quite near, then he aggro’ed something and died before getting to me anyway? It was tedious, but at least we enjoyed each other’s company. Then trying to do Sarrow’s Cave… after 30 minutes of solid dying, I called for backup, and about 30 minutes after that, two people came to help. I remember when the donkey cart took more than one play session, plus a million people to finally succeed. It was a heck of a challenge, but one we eventually overcame. Think of low population times and when a higher level could viably help because that army wasn’t available during that play window. How many friends did we make stepping in? Ditto for Spider Island cough Death Peninsula cough, sorry Snake Battlefield I didn’t mind dying 18 million times for that quest myself, then half a million more times even with a few more levels and helping others. It was still possible to die as a 20 if you weren’t paying attention and aggro-ed three giant spiders

For my gameplay, I most prefer being in a small group. I like helping people and chatting. In Reborn, mid-20s dps, I can’t help. Another time, I was playing with two level 10s. We were doing okay in Highsteppe, but they expressed never having been anywhere else and didn’t feel as though they’d survive elsewhere considering how tough Highsteppe felt. I figured the flooded rainforest would be fine, especially with the level scaling. Nope. Two feet into the flooded rainforest, they died several minutes in a row until they gave up and logged out. I managed to survive most of the fights, but I couldn’t help them or save them. I never babied things for people in OG. I’d equip a lower weapon or at least stand nearby as a safety net, enjoying the social interaction, giving pointers, and only attack if they hit red. Keep them safe as they healed, then back to it. It wasn’t boring for me to stand guard, but fulfilling. I’d been the struggler before, and now I was helping.

I wasn’t immediately against level scaling when it was announced, and while I also don’t personally feel it’s the worst thing ever, I’ve come to not like it. If the intention isn’t to fight this particular enemy / fight at all / grind, the answer is run. We’re always just fleeing until the thing “worth our time/effort” to fight. I think the scaling is great in the dungeons and makes sense for events, but I don’t have near as much fun in the overworld as I used to. If we wanted the challenge, we went to the Wilds. Even Lucian Plateau and Lamavora weren’t complete cakewalks. I’m not a big end game person. I don’t have any personal interest in climbing to the highest shard, although I think it’s great that’s an option for those who really want to push themselves. So do I really have to git gud and have +30-anything to assist a newb in Highsteppe? Should parties of 4 or more be necessary unless someone is very talented?

Bare minimum, if we can’t have level scaling removed from the overworld, can we at least have much much fewer scaled packs? The non- scaled are quite the minority. Or the option to enable or disable by personal preference, or mandated by party leader?

6 Likes

You know what @Airis, I didn’t think about it that way. My mind was on “oh, easier ways to farm”, not “I can’t have these challenging or crazy adventures with new players and I can feel like I can help them”. I never really got to know how it feels to protect a low level through our travels, it’s always Highstep. And never anywhere else.

1 Like

The no challenge is what bored me in end game content of most games. I don’t like feeling like a god in the game. I’m an adventurer like the other hundred or so adventurers. The monsters are a threat to the city? They shouldn’t be so weak that I can tank a dozen of them as a mage, which I could do in Preborn.

You seem pretty fixed on the idea of merging both games, but it’s already been explained multiple times in multiple threads how that’s a much larger undertaking than simply copying the old game over to new servers. It’s not a feasible thing to look for in the near future.

@Metris_Marshmallow I was very active in OG, did Expert raids/shard dungeons, leveled all classes. I’m fine with level scaling. Walking around the farm outside Highsteppe and pulling every mob without taking a significant amount of damage as a mage, then burning them with one Arcane Explosion was ludicrous. I can farm Wastelands with Ranger and Scoundrel without an issue.

This is where reborn and OG merged together bridges the gap between all the players!!

2 Likes

Well then how much would it take to create a few areas packed with wildlife specific to each region? Areas where people could one-shot deer, bear, fox, whatever. If wildlife is what we have rn.

Away from the level-scaling enemies. Surely that wouldn’t be out of the question. Just so we would have that power craze. I’m sure the devs would consider trying that approach. Then, we’d have at least a slice of each.

As for what Airis was talking about … idk, I can’t think of anything.

Well… all my playtime, if I can not find groups? Running around in the overworld, fishing, farming was not a rare occasion, but my only activity in the old game for weeks, we hardly had evening groups anymore. I was farming things for the market, reagents, most of all, or just to restock or for fun, often watching netflix meanwhile, “clearing” the rainforest, killing everything, harvesting everything in the way. That I did in every lunch break (server count around 6 people…), around an hour, and on evenings when no one was around for groups. Now we got events, fine, but they are redundant plus take up much more time, because of the time waiting for them, so farming stuff is still where a good deal of playtime flows into.
In Reborn I currently farm ores for the metal cogs or other trades, always playing classes I don’t like (in the OG I could farm with the Musky), just to get to the resources. I never bothered to kill everything around like I did in the OG, in lower areas, cuz it takes too long.
Without level scaling I would go for way more things than now, like farming dyes, target the rare overworld drops by daily killing a number of mobs, use the grinder more (or, at all), hang around at events more and generally spend more time in the overworld, playing whatever class I like, least in the lower areas.
Even the frequent teleport-leashing-to-run-away from mobs I pull on the way can be tiring (for example the passage close to HS is stacked with mobs), as well as the need to run in circles to get from a to b, fastest. All this would remain for Wastelands and likely Hulthines, to some degree, which is fine, but at least for other areas my level does make a significant difference.

Why? As Airis just stated wildlife is not levelscaled anyway, walk up to wildlife, it won’t even aggro you; hunting wildlife down where it is is just fine and feels kinda natural; “unscaled” does not mean one-shot (see below). Also there are already unscaled spots with mobs, however these are mere “spots”, for example there’s 2 next to Obnobi camp. The talk is not about putting an unscaled mob group on a spot to oneshot these like clay birds, over and over, to complete the boredom (I even do kill these btw, whenever I get past them or want the wilted flowers, but it feels like being confined to the ever-same little spots…).
Some who approve levelscaling seem to be fixated on refusing power fantasies and “oneshotting” things, which is only a little part of all that was stated in favor of non-levelscaling tho, and something you could find perhaps in two OG areas, at max (provided you were not a mage, but mage’s op powers is a different topic).
The talk is not about putting lvl 1 papermobs (“oneshot”) everywhere, no one is expecting or wanting that :smiley: ! It is about having a more accessible world, and first of all one where you actually feel and experience in which kind of area you are, high level, midst level or low level.
If a mob is lvl 12 it simply should not feel like fighting a lvl 30 or 26. This is about reflecting real game progress and not artificially suppressing it, in most areas.

What would the removal of level-scaling do? Nothing would change in Wastelands, likely not much in Hulthines either, Lamavora would feel a little bit different, Rainforest and HS would feel very different, for higher levels at least. With level-scaling these areas feel all the same, no matter what level you or the mobs are.

1 Like